Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
3,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Things got to be pretty slow if this is all there is to talk about!

Cmon! Gobert got fired (again)! Scott Summers broke his collarbone on his comeback try in GNCC! Moto-Guzzi introduces new cruiser! Everyone's raving about the new CRF250X!

You didn't read it here.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Rant on Marketing

Does anyone really care anymore about how much money Harley is sucking from suckers?

I’m Harley RK owner with 30K miles in the last 2.5 seasons of riding in the NE area. I’m not in HOG nor ride in "polka" runs or wear Harley jeans and outside of freeing up the pipes and air-box the bike is stock. I'm sick of how much money Harley corporate are making off all this crap. I have more respect for adults collecting Star War toys (just barely any at all) than all this market driven Harley crap they want you to buy. At least the freaks playing with Star Wars toys as adults know they are uncool and still choose to do it.

I’m sick of swap meets and everyone looking the same. I think I need to sell my Harley and buy a Guzzi or something. I’m embarrassed by Harley riders yet love my bike… Is there something wrong with me?

Hey Harley riders - Just say no to all that Market driven crap and ride your freaking bikes, get them dirty and show the world that you aren't a sheep being herded into a wallet draining slaughter.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Re: Rant on Marketing

"Is there something wrong with me?" LOL well there may be something wrong with you but your not alone....I often threaten to sell my E Glide and buy a Guzzi.Problem is i really love my HD.....been riding em since 68 and just cant stop. The new HD scene isnt my bag and sometimes embarrasses me but just cant help myself.

·
Super Duper Mod Man
10,479 Posts
You need it BAD

Not sure if you should sell the Harley,....if you really even own one. I do know you need to get laid ASAP. Go get a bottle and a lady and when you are riding over to do the deed, keep repeating to yourself "It's only an earnings report"...."It's only an earnings report".

·
Banned
2,452 Posts
This is awesome news

I would usually start ragging on GPTB (Gray Pony Tailed Brotherhood) right now. But HD has made some good progress in the last 2 years. VRod, revamped Sportser, and the new Buells. If they can get Buell reliability up. I may even buy a Bolt.

By the way keep buying all the HD stuff you GPTB guys. As a stockholder, someday I want to buy a Fat Boy (like my hero John Kerry ;)). Right now its braces and college for my girls.

Harley is an amazing story. American workers and American engineers turning out quality products. In this day of outsourcing and offshoring, it makes feel good to see one U.S. company who believes in Americans. It's kind of interesting that Japanese companies like Honda, Toyota, Kawasaki and German companies like BMW can use Americans to build quality affordable products as well.

Congrads Harley you deserve it!

·
Registered
17 Posts

Great rant. I too love the heritage of HD and would like to buy American, but am put off by the contemptuous attitude of my local dealer and the fact that the marketing focuses on "you have to buy a Harley to be cool" rather than on quality or performance. On the other hand, you can't blame Harley. They are getting rich with this marketing and have no reason to change until more of their customers place the focus on quality instead of trying to be cool.

·
Registered
3,415 Posts
Well of course the P & A end would surpass the motorcycle unit .The Brotherhood has to keep replacing parts that fall off everytime they ride down to the tavern

Good to see them doing well from the bad old days in the '70's and 80's, now if they can build a modern line to go along with the classic line like a certain 101 year old Brit bike manufacturer they'll continue to gain market share untill they rule the world from beyond the grave (or the nearest phycho ward) just like David LoPan

·
Registered
1,521 Posts

Finally another fellow HD rider who is not taken by this massive marketing-crap-for-suckers that revolves around HD. Like the mag that I started receiving after bying the bike, that should come with a health warning and a sick bag.

- cruiz-euro

·
Registered
771 Posts
Re: This is awesome news

Havn't checked recently, but I believe the Goldwing is considered to have more US of A made parts on it than a HD is. At least they are assembled here.

Also, like any smart company, HD does outsource its engineering to some extent (Vroad motor/porch engineers)

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Re: This is awesome news

>American workers and American engineers

>turning out quality products. In this day of

>outsourcing and offshoring

Dodging a discussion what constitutes "a quality product", I merely point out that this sort of flag waving is brainless. Everyone knows that also HD outsources foreign parts and offshores engineering. We have also HD production here in Brazil (you guessed it, for cost reasons)

- cruiz-euro

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hmmm... what WOULD Lo-Pan ride? With the flowing robes and all he doesn't strike me as a repli-racer kind of guy. He'd need a cruiser--a big one to suit his megalomania. Maybe a VN2000? Nah, too conventional. Boss Hoss? Nah, too unrefined. I see him on a Confederate Hellcat with ape hangers and a stick shift. Or maybe an Ed Roth-designed psychadelic trike.

Doesn't matter, though. Jack Burton will always be around to kick his ass.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.