Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Administrator
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Original Article:
H-D unveils new Dark Custom Sportster

Please discuss the Motorcycle.com article H-D unveils new Dark Custom Sportster in our Motorcycle Forums below. Use the reply button to let others know your comments or feedback on the article. Constructive criticism is always appreciated, along with your thoughts and personal opinions on the bikes and products we have tested.

·
Registered
7,118 Posts
Rossmeyer set up a "Dark Chrome" sales area upstairs in their FTL shop. It's all done with blacklights, AC/DC posters, and generally googy-weird "dark" stuff. I think you have to have at least 5 tattoos to enter. Bike designers can be such fashion ****z...sometimes I think the journals swap editors with Cosmo.

Their latest Bizzarro World Fashion Forward statment: A cartoonish Pirates of the Carribean logo on that new bike with the tractor seat...the FXDLDARKSUCKA or whatever it's called.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
The Motor Company keeps showing real innovation. This bike has not only revolutionary rubber engine mounts but also flat paint.

Now when they lay off people I hope they keep the engineers. At least the other one.

- cruiz-euro

·
MODERATOR X
5,449 Posts
I say bring back the cast iron jugs! And hairpin valve springs! And hand operated oil pumps! Painted black, or course.

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
I'm not feelin' this new "dark custom". It doesn't get my blood pumping like the Fat Bob or the Cross Bones. It's just missing that special something.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Life ain't fair. I mean, look at the Cadillac. Once they had the brand worth more than all the Japanese brands put together. They got complacent and thought if it aint broke why fix it. Good brand, good concept, even if the average age of the buyer was rising all the time.

Look at them now. They've fallen so far back technically that its almost farcical. Can they survive? I hope so.

So what's this got to do with this flat black 2009 worster you ask. Think about it.

- cruiz-euro

·
Super Duper Mod Man
10,479 Posts
"Think about it."

I did. Harley once owned the motorcycle industry in the US. Then they got bought out because of sagging sales. Then they almost went under altogether. Now they own the majority share of the US MC industry again, and sell more bikes than the Japanese and Euro brands put together sans Honda.

Think about it.

·
The Toad
17,461 Posts
"Think about it."

I did. Harley once owned the motorcycle industry in the US. Then they got bought out because of sagging sales. Then they almost went under altogether. Now they own the majority share of the US MC industry again, and sell more bikes than the Japanese and Euro brands put together sans Honda.

Think about it.
Honda is a motorcycle company?

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
Life ain't fair. I mean, look at the Cadillac. Once they had the brand worth more than all the Japanese brands put together. They got complacent and thought if it aint broke why fix it. Good brand, good concept, even if the average age of the buyer was rising all the time.

Look at them now. They've fallen so far back technically that its almost farcical. Can they survive? I hope so.

So what's this got to do with this flat black 2009 worster you ask. Think about it.

- cruiz-euro
Acccccctually- Caddi is the money maker (as it were) for GM. They are building low-volume quality vehicles that are worth their Caddi price tag. Now, through the 80s until about 2000 it was pretty weak. But that Northstar V8 motor that Caddi developed (over a decade ago) is the same motor dropped into all FWD GM cars with V8 options. Caddi developed the FI system for that motor independent of the other brands, too. I'd say that brand-wise Caddi has the best GM platform going. So much so that it should break from the other brands and become it's own company again. Owning a Caddi is cool again.

On to the Sporty: Nice enough. Too bad HD won't actually maket it as a entry-level bike. Do people buy 883s anymore? They ought to compromise and build a water-cooled 1100 cc bike for the masses. Oh, they tried that already and no one buys those bikes, either.
I like the V-Rod concept, but don't really like the design. Think HD would ever come up with a better idea on masking that big lump of a radiator? If it didn't look so funny it'd probably be a fun bike to own.

1 - 20 of 75 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.