Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Aging Cafe` Racer
8,719 Posts
I wouldn't mind picking up an Ironhead and chopping it. That'd make a nice low buck project.

+1 on the Caddy, I'd love to have an Escalade

·
Aging Cafe` Racer
8,719 Posts
"I wouldn't mind picking up an Ironhead and chopping it. That'd make a nice low buck project. "

Would be cool, but how would you retro fit ABS on that thing?? :)
No problem, '78 and earlier had drum brakes on the rear, no way in west hell you're going to lock them up...

·
Aging Cafe` Racer
8,719 Posts
'course not, you can get those spool hubs with little tiny Schwinn brakes in them.

·
Aging Cafe` Racer
8,719 Posts
Maybe you could rig a hand shift with suicide clutch too, dog!
Silly rabbit, a right hand shift model is the way to go. I can just weld an extension on the shifter so it sticks up by the tank then spray it with rattle can Mexi-chrome and Viola,` instant po-boy custom hand clutch/hand shift...

·
Aging Cafe` Racer
8,719 Posts
Guess I'am just not a cruiser guy, but Iam totally not feeling the sporster. From the first time I laid eyes on it, I havent gotten it? From looks, to design to handeling. Sorry no disrespect if this is your thing!
It's cool, you either like it or you don't. Comparing a Sporty to a GSXR is like the difference between a built '69 Charger and a new 911 Porsche. The Charger is basically a POS dinosaur that makes noise and goes fast in a straight line, the 911 is fast, lightweight, handles like a dream and will leave the Charger on the horizon. Everybody likes performance, I think modern litre bikes are fantastic machines but it's way more than I can ever use or even fit on just like the 911. The Sporty, like the Charger is a tinker toy, you can just drive them around and enjoy the scenery or you can get an old skool mechanical rush un-corking one and see what it'll do.

It's often more fun to go fast on a slow bike than on a fast one. With a fast bike it's all about precision and lines, you know the bike will do what you ask, there's no drama. With a slow bike you're just WFO and hanging on for dear life, skinny tires and crappy suspension add to the fun. You get off the bike with the shakes and a poop-eating grin because you survived..

Hard to explain I guess but I had more fun on my '78 Sporty than any of my sportbikes though the sportbikes were clearly "better"

1 - 8 of 8 Posts