Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
"Do people buy 883s anymore?"

The smart people do. For the 3 grand difference between the 883 and the 1200, I could have a 100 horsepower '883' that will make that 1200 look like it's going backwards. I want to pick up a used 883 and make a street tracker for about 10 grand that will embarass that new one that Harley makes. Just looking for the right donor bike.
Really? Hows that........

To be honest a couple years back they made a bike i liked 883R i think? it had a flat seat (almost like the triumph bonnie seat) and i want to say came in brown/tan two tone. Beautiful.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Yep on all points! The older 883's are at least 50 lbs lighter to start than the new ones. Get the spoke wheel version and set it up with some alloy rims and maybe wave rotors. Getting 100/100 from the motor is not real hard or expensive, but that is where the bulk of the cash will go. Get rid of the steel fenders and heavy seat. Rearsets, flat bars, and a longer set of rear shocks complete the package, and one killer street Sportster is made for less than you can buy a new one if you pick your donor bike right, and can do most of the work yourself.
How old are you talking...? like 5-10 years?

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
So if I'm seeing right here a good one condition, unmolested 883 are selling for $3k:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Motorcycles___2001-01-HARLEY-DAVIDSON-SPORTSTER-883-BIKE-MOTOCYCLE_W0QQitemZ260353845229QQddnZMotorcyclesQQddiZ2283QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_motorcycles?hash=item260353845229&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245&_trkparms=65%3A13|39%3A1|240%3A1318

Awesome.

How hard is it/what would I need to/How expensive is it to have someone bore and stroke (at least I'm assuming that's what was meant buy jugs and pistons) I really don't know what i'd have to do there... I honestly never saw my self owning a HD but....

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Not. Thats the problem. To be honest it was more like, buy one to ride it close to stock now and work on it as i get money.

Whats involved in a "simple big bore"? Personally my mechanic skills are limited (well better than 99% of people in the world but most of them don't know what a spark plug is...) On the other hand my dad has been building and rebuilding engines since he was 16 and I'm sure would be happy to do work with me. I know we could change the cam and im pretty sure we can port the engine. The other thing I'd like to do is buy the Storz Flat tracker pipes. Gorgeous.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
So is there a way to get those Storz to fit on a pre-04 or actually.... does anyone make a set of high pipes (I'm thinking XR750, XR1000 replicas) hm... I'm at work and the owners on Vacation... now I know what I'm doing today....

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts