Motorcycle Forums banner
41 - 60 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
10,903 Posts
Life ain't fair. I mean, look at the Cadillac. Once they had the brand worth more than all the Japanese brands put together. They got complacent and thought if it aint broke why fix it. Good brand, good concept, even if the average age of the buyer was rising all the time.

Look at them now. They've fallen so far back technically that its almost farcical. Can they survive? I hope so.

So what's this got to do with this flat black 2009 worster you ask. Think about it.

- cruiz-euro
The new Cadillac CTS-V is 500 hp.

I can't imagine you'd be too far behind anything if you were driving it. Of course, you could even drop a 4 wheeled vehicle.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
So if I'm seeing right here a good one condition, unmolested 883 are selling for $3k:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Motorcycles___2001-01-HARLEY-DAVIDSON-SPORTSTER-883-BIKE-MOTOCYCLE_W0QQitemZ260353845229QQddnZMotorcyclesQQddiZ2283QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_motorcycles?hash=item260353845229&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245&_trkparms=65%3A13|39%3A1|240%3A1318

Awesome.

How hard is it/what would I need to/How expensive is it to have someone bore and stroke (at least I'm assuming that's what was meant buy jugs and pistons) I really don't know what i'd have to do there... I honestly never saw my self owning a HD but....

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
HD is the biggest and baddest

"Think about it."

I did. Harley once owned the motorcycle industry in the US. Then they got bought out because of sagging sales. Then they almost went under altogether. Now they own the majority share of the US MC industry again, and sell more bikes than the Japanese and Euro brands put together sans Honda.

Think about it.
Yep you got the point as usual. Honda makes only 12 million motorcycles annually, meanwhile HD sells a whopping 0.3 million.

Anyways what I am trying to say is that a medium sized tampoon manufacturer puts more engineering effort than the Motor Company. A mom-and-pop outfit KTM produces bikes with 16 different engines, 2 and 4 strokes.

Whatever HD comes up with I still have 64 rwhp in mine so I have no vested interest in whatever they do. However its sad they are not producing the baddest cruisers anymore. With your stars-and-stripes glasses on they must still look swell. But where you see the land of the free and the brave, the rest of the world sees a country that runs a torture center in Cuba. Even worse, the VTX, Big Kawi, Rocket III etc etc have ridden by.

- cruiz-euro

- cruiz-euro

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Getting laid

P.S. You still ain't got laid!
When posting a shirtless picture I knew there are people very keen on other people's sexual lives. Closet doors creaking open all around. I must disappoint you longride. I am married.

Anyways, when I bought my HD least of my problems was getting laid. Quite the contrary. Family guy in Rio de Janeiro, huh. Don't recommend it to anyone. Ok so I recommend it.

- cruiz-euro

·
Super Duper Mod Man
10,479 Posts
I found a 2000 883 for 2 grand in Wisconsin last night. By the time I called, it was sold. Sooner or later I will get one. If you can do the assembly work yourself, a simple big bore, cams and port job will probably run about 1500 bucks. That will give you about 85 hp 80 tq. With bigger bore, hotter cams, Thunderstorm heads, and a bigger carb, you are looking at about 4 grand to get at least 100+ hp, 95 tq in a street motor. No stroking is needed, but if you go larger than 74 ci on the bore, the cases need to be split and bored out for the larger jugs. If you really want to spend the bucks, Baker makes a six-speed for a Sporty since the cases are split. How big is your wallet?

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
I found a 2000 883 for 2 grand in Wisconsin last night. By the time I called, it was sold. Sooner or later I will get one. If you can do the assembly work yourself, a simple big bore, cams and port job will probably run about 1500 bucks. That will give you about 85 hp 80 tq. With bigger bore, hotter cams, Thunderstorm heads, and a bigger carb, you are looking at about 4 grand to get at least 100+ hp, 95 tq in a street motor. No stoking is needed, but if you go larger than 74 ci on the bore, the cases need to be split and bored out for the larger jugs. If you really want to spend the bucks, Baker makes a six-speed for a Sporty since the cases are split. How big is your wallet?
I wonder if one could transplant a Buell 1200 from the old steel framed ones to a Sporty.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Not. Thats the problem. To be honest it was more like, buy one to ride it close to stock now and work on it as i get money.

Whats involved in a "simple big bore"? Personally my mechanic skills are limited (well better than 99% of people in the world but most of them don't know what a spark plug is...) On the other hand my dad has been building and rebuilding engines since he was 16 and I'm sure would be happy to do work with me. I know we could change the cam and im pretty sure we can port the engine. The other thing I'd like to do is buy the Storz Flat tracker pipes. Gorgeous.

·
Super Duper Mod Man
10,479 Posts
Big bore is as simple as taking the top end apart, have the cylinders bored to 1200 cc(need a shop to do that part), get 1200cc pistons and rings, reassemble. Easy and cheap. Those Storz pipes are only for the 2004 or newer Sporty, not the older ones we were talking about, so keep that in mind. The cool part is that if you CAN ride it and do the mods a little at a time if you plan right. Downtime would be minimum, and you can do as many modifications as your checkbook allows. I would do the same with mine. The key to any project is to figure out exactly what you want to end up with at the end. That will eliminate costly mistakes, especially with engine modifications.

·
Registered
10,903 Posts
Big bore is as simple as taking the top end apart, have the cylinders bored to 1200 cc(need a shop to do that part), get 1200cc pistons and rings, reassemble. Easy and cheap. Those Storz pipes are only for the 2004 or newer Sporty, not the older ones we were talking about, so keep that in mind. The cool part is that if you CAN ride it and do the mods a little at a time if you plan right. Downtime would be minimum, and you can do as many modifications as your checkbook allows. I would do the same with mine. The key to any project is to figure out exactly what you want to end up with at the end. That will eliminate costly mistakes, especially with engine modifications.
Which bucket of parts in your garage are you planning on riding today? ;-)

·
Premium Member
3,992 Posts
Original Article:
H-D unveils new Dark Custom Sportster

Please discuss the Motorcycle.com article H-D unveils new Dark Custom Sportster in our Motorcycle Forums below. Use the reply button to let others know your comments or feedback on the article. Constructive criticism is always appreciated, along with your thoughts and personal opinions on the bikes and products we have tested.
Guess I'am just not a cruiser guy, but Iam totally not feeling the sporster. From the first time I laid eyes on it, I havent gotten it? From looks, to design to handeling. Sorry no disrespect if this is your thing!

·
Aging Cafe` Racer
8,715 Posts
Guess I'am just not a cruiser guy, but Iam totally not feeling the sporster. From the first time I laid eyes on it, I havent gotten it? From looks, to design to handeling. Sorry no disrespect if this is your thing!
It's cool, you either like it or you don't. Comparing a Sporty to a GSXR is like the difference between a built '69 Charger and a new 911 Porsche. The Charger is basically a POS dinosaur that makes noise and goes fast in a straight line, the 911 is fast, lightweight, handles like a dream and will leave the Charger on the horizon. Everybody likes performance, I think modern litre bikes are fantastic machines but it's way more than I can ever use or even fit on just like the 911. The Sporty, like the Charger is a tinker toy, you can just drive them around and enjoy the scenery or you can get an old skool mechanical rush un-corking one and see what it'll do.

It's often more fun to go fast on a slow bike than on a fast one. With a fast bike it's all about precision and lines, you know the bike will do what you ask, there's no drama. With a slow bike you're just WFO and hanging on for dear life, skinny tires and crappy suspension add to the fun. You get off the bike with the shakes and a poop-eating grin because you survived..

Hard to explain I guess but I had more fun on my '78 Sporty than any of my sportbikes though the sportbikes were clearly "better"

·
Registered
7,117 Posts
Murikins are tired of the excess. They've had enough of the corporate fat cats showing up in Washington for a welfare check in private jets. They're sick of Banks gettin billions of our hard earned tax dollars and blowing it even more private jets.

When it comes to their bikes, Murikins are all through with rear tires wider than their wife's ass, and pipes louder than their girlfriends 2 year old. That's why Harley is rolling out the new Iron 883. Pure. Simple. Black.

Sure, it's got a seat, but it's really hard.
Yeah, it's got an engine, but it's pretty damn slow.
You ain't gonna find no acres of chrome and glossy paint here pardner.
Just a lot of flat black spray paint and unpolished metal.

The New Iron 883 from Harley. That's right, Harley. Because Americans are tired of two part names like Harley-Davidson.

·
Premium Member
3,992 Posts
It's often more fun to go fast on a slow bike than on a fast one. With a fast bike it's all about precision and lines, you know the bike will do what you ask, there's no drama.
Totally agree, my six is a blast to ride, goes anywhere I stuff it! Will do most anything I ask of it, without alot of back talk, so to speak.

41 - 60 of 75 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.