Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's driving me crazy! Anyone got a fix for rattling saddlebag latches on my Road King?

Oh yeah, newbie here. Figured this might be a good place to get some advice & info. Nice site. :cool:

·
Registered
11,488 Posts
Gentle application of a Big F'n Hammer.

Repeatedly.

That'll Larn it............

·
Registered
3,640 Posts
Bear with me, as I haven't seen the latch design in a while. IIRC, they don't really latch, but serve as a dress-up for the actual buckle.

You might want to try putting those small clear plastic "furniture pads" on the offending surface(s). They have stickum on one side, and you can trim them if necessary.

Or, wear earplugs!

·
The Toad
17,458 Posts
Just do what so many HD owners do. Get the loudest pipes you can find. Viola! No more hearie latchie.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Lets see, for responses we have two premium founding members and one premium moderating member. The only real advice worth reading came from pushrod, and I thank you for the help. I will give that a try.

Great advice Mr. serwazousawazzawapatuli, especially coming from a high & mighty moderator. Not sure what kind of bike you ride, it doesn't matter to me. But I'm sure it's quieter than mine, thus much better. GFY.

·
Registered
7,117 Posts
Lets see, for responses we have two premium founding members and one premium moderating member. The only real advice worth reading came from pushrod, and I thank you for the help. I will give that a try.

Great advice Mr. serwazousawazzawapatuli, especially coming from a high & mighty moderator. Not sure what kind of bike you ride, it doesn't matter to me. But I'm sure it's quieter than mine, thus much better. GFY.
SuperDave,

Don't take the humor around here personally. Everybody kids around a lot, it's just in fun.

I can't help you directly with your problem, but if you call my friend Ace at 954.943.6225 he will. That's his shop number and he's there from 11 to 7 EST. He's been working on HDs for 30+ years. Tell him Kenneth referred you and he'll help out.

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Yes, for better or worse, this sort of kidding is in character for this forum. You will get help if someone knows the answer, but you usually have to wade through a pile of silliness to find it. Please do not think too unkindly of us.

·
The Toad
17,458 Posts
Well okay.

Feel better? Do you need a hanky?

·
Registered
11,488 Posts
GFY. Heh.

Such strong language.

And to think, I came this >< close to coming-back and adding a real suggestion.

This re-affirms my Faith in Humanity once-again.

Unrelated; seruzawa - love yer new sig, BTW.

·
Registered
3,640 Posts
Man, you'd think that by the time he'd submitted two posts, he'd have figured out what kind of responses he was in for!

I guess I'm fortunate he didn't take umbrage (woo-hoo! 12 point word!) at my suggestion he wear earplugs!

·
Registered
3,640 Posts
I was just proud that I managed to get a word like "umbrage" into the thread! There is a paucity of fancy verbiage in these otherwise pithy digital dialogues!

I submit that you, Ms LaRue and your legal cohorts are experts in Wars of Words!

FWIW, my 8 yr old is better at Scrabble than I am.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I take back the GFY. I didn't come here looking to make enemies or wanting smass replies, I came here looking for advice. And I went into the "Harley" forum hoping that someone who owns a Harley and has actually delt with the same problem successfully could give me some helpful advice. Ear plugs, yeah that's the ticket... I understand good natured ribbing, but I hope you don't welcome all of your new members in the same fasion. I don't feel my response was unjustified, but I offer my apologies regardless. I can take my question elsewhere.

Ride what you like... Like what you ride.

·
Aging Cafe` Racer
8,715 Posts
Well it took me ages to figure out what "GFY" meant, sheesh.

Helpfull advice is it? I have found that using a prick punch and GENTLE taps with a hammer in the center of loose rivits while holding another hammer or the flat side of a wrench against the back of the rivit tightens them up pretty good. If you hit it too hard you'll knock the head off the rivit so be careful. As far as taking your ball and going home, probably a good idea, you come off like a ****head anyway.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Solution to saddlebag rattle on Road King.

I have the same issue with my Road King saddlebags. The problem could be caused by either 1) the bolts that hold the latches onto to the saddlebags may have come loose due to continuous vibrations over time. 2) There is a spring under the latch which is a part of the hinging mechanism. Over time and exposure to the environmental conditions that spring could become rusted and snap, causing it to loose its tension. This would cause the hinge to be sloppy and loose, hence causing the rattle... I solved my problem by finally replacing the saddlebag latch hinge. Cost of the part is approx. $88.00 per. And the replacement is easy...you can do it yourself!
Hope this is helpful.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.