Motorcycle Forums banner
41 - 60 of 115 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Yes, different generations have different dreams.

And the "wait-till-they-grow-older" strategy doesn't work. Apple tried that by seeding schools with Macs to create a generation of customers, but the students graduated and bought cheaper IBM clones. So much for that strategy....

Yes, the V-Rod is a good start. And maybe Buell is Harley's future, but they need a new engine...perhaps Porsche can design one for them?

·
Registered
3,415 Posts
I don't think Harley is on the way out anytime soon, but styles and fashion do change, for alot of people Harley is a fashion statement, I'm not saying RUBS are going to firesale their HD's and flood the market with cheapo bikes, but a slakening in demand with a resultant loss in stock value is part of a normal buisness cycle. 17 years of straight growth is impressive indeed, but it's doubtfull that that 's going to continue forever, the most realistic scenario is a leveling off of demand as the economy slows and styles/priority's change. Nay-sayers have been predicting Harley's demise for years for one reason or another, thats not going to happen, even in the AMF years, new Harley's were spendy but available. It's used prices that are over valued now, and those are the prices that are going to suffer, as more new bikes become available.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Re: Harley Financials...

I don't know if the vrod engine is right for a sportbike. I'd like to see Harley use the engine in a big touring rig that could give Honda Goldwings and BMW LTs a run for their money.

·
Registered
10,904 Posts
Re: Signs of declining demand for H-D

H-D is not marketing the 100th anniv. bikes as rare or collectible. Every model sold has 100th badges on it and they even went to a 14 month production cycle to ensure availability.

The only rare bike in 2003 would be one that isn't an anniversary model.

·
Registered
10,904 Posts
I wasn't cool enough to hang with the engineering students I guess. I spent most of my time at Monte's Den drinking anyway. That's what we liberal arts majors do!

My guess is that most youngins on college campuses ride what they can afford. Ask your friends at Edutech what they would ride if cost were no object and if one of them says ZX6 I'll fill my motorhome with your favorite beer at Laguna Seca.

·
Super Duper Mod Man
10,479 Posts
You should change your name to Nostradamus. Somehow, you know what everyone is going to want in the future, when nobody really does. Maybe the next generation will shun motorcycles altogether. certainly you don't know. If you REALLY knew that, you would be investing in that next hot stock, instead of gracing us with your predictions of the future. Betting against Harley is a guess; one that was wrong for the last 17 years. I guess if I bet on a team to lose, I would be right eventually, but that doesn't make me any smarter than anyone else, just more persistant.

·
Super Duper Mod Man
10,479 Posts
Comparing "Apples" to Harleys is not even relevant, nor very applicable. Apple had the schools locked up, but businesses had the PC in their office. People bought PC's because that was what they used at work. If anything, you proved that Wintel (like Harley) was right, as they DID wait until they got older. So much for your analogy....

·
Super Duper Mod Man
10,479 Posts
Re: Luke I am your father....

I am a dad. And my son has absolutlely no interest in motorycles. None. If he is the future, then Honda, Suzuki, Yamaha, Kaw, and Harley are all in trouble.

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
The real opportunity here is in picking up some cheap shares of stock. Just because investors make short term jumps doesn't mean Harley is going down. Look at earnings potential, dividend policy, PE ratios, talk to a knowledgeable broker and then pick up a bargain. Let's keep motorcycle talk about motorcycles and business talk about business. Mix the two and you will not be happy either way. Love Harleys - buy Harleys. Hate 'em if you like. But invest your serious dollars with your emotions in check.

41 - 60 of 115 Posts