Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
The Toad
17,449 Posts
Modern unions bear no relationship to the unions of the era of labor strife. Early unions did not tolerate lazy and incompetent members in their midst. Today unions not only protect featherbedding but they encourage it. Today we see the spectacle of people earning 6 figures while working on a semi-skilled job. The idea that some knothead who couldn't finish high school can earn twice what a teacher earns is plain stupid. In GM's case thousands of employees are paid to stay at home. Add in the fantasy pensions and you have a real recipe for disaster. No company can remain in business having to deal with such unions. Not that the company management doesn't bear equal responsibility for the sad state of affairs. They thought the American domination of the auto industry would last forever. They obviously were wrong.

Private companies can't operate like govt entities. They can't just steal the money they want at the point of a gun barrel. They go bankrupt.

·
The Toad
17,449 Posts
I'm not sure what campaign contributions have to do with the IMF and World Bank. None of the officials are elected. (I'd rather not get into the evils of the IMF except to mention that Newt Gingrich was driven from office only after he had the temerity to try to do something about the IMF's depredations. This should give some clue about who really runs things.)

While I find many of the compensation packages of executives of some corporations to be disgusting I still don't think that paying the semiskilled 100K a year is particularly a good idea either.

As far as HD goes there's interesting stuff on exec compensation here.

·
The Toad
17,449 Posts
Remember the Air Traffic Controllers strike? The union reps sued and got their jobs back! The excuse was that promoting an illegal strike was part of their job description. I could go on and on about abuses of union reps...including ones who act as spies for management and purposefully blow valid grievance cases by "losing" all the paerwork.

Jimmy Hoffa could tell a few tales about the mob and union pensions.

Then there are the independent truckers who literally get shot at whenever the Teamster's strike.......

Notice that whenever they are given a chance the people who work for Japanese auto plants in the US always tell the unions to fock off.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.