Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
The problem with GM was and is the product. You can complain all you want about wheeny H-D engines, certain people still feel strongly about H-D. It has attraction. I have one. But who the hell feels the same about Lumina? Where is the GM product people crave desperately? Where the hell is the Big American Brawny GM V-8 rear wheel drive?

Curiously, I recently read a ten year old Car & Driver, another example of the fulfilling life I´m leading, (May -96, p. 20, column by Brock Yates "Will Lisa confuse camshafts with Miss Clairol?") there was a story how GM hires people from consumer product marketing positions as brand managers. This particular chica, Lisa, was marketing Cool Mint Listerine and then hired as the Pontiac Grand Am brand manager. The GM´s marketing operation stated "The product is only one piece of the marketing chain".

So did BMW hire some baby powder/asswipe marketeer as the brand manager of their 300 series ten years ago? See the results.

- cruiz-euro

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Look aero, let me be clear about this: GM´s product problem is not caused by the guys at the assembly line. Pontiac G6 came distant last in the five car family sedan comparo (Car and Driver Feb -06) because it was much worse than the others. Its got an ancient trashy pushrod V-6 and clunky gearbox. Would you like to buy this car?

Blame the union workers all you like but if you build crap year in and year out people are going to move to the other brands.

Why is GM incapable of producing a decent engine beats me.

Another thing, I don´t think company can deduct union fees from the paycheck of a non member.

- cruiz-euro

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.