Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
446 Posts
Then they could build the bikes in the same place whence they source many "genuine motor company parts". Convenient.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Seems like you have illustrated one of the reasons why manufacturors move from the North to the compartively impoverished South, or to Mexico, or overseas. Engine assember?! Give me a break. Of course I want the job done well if I'm going to be riding the thing, but assembling an engine ain't exactly rocket surgery (I've done it a few times myself, and my cam bearings never failed).

The problem is not that their wages are being "slashed" now; the problem is that they were being paid 27 bucks an hour and change for a job that requires about fifteen dollars worth of intelligence/expertise.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Don't forget that for about every 80 or 100 union guys on the floor of the plant, you have one union "steward" who is an otherwise regular laborer elected to the post by his fellows. Under contact, he gets paid his regular company wage to come into the company's plant and sit in an office that the company provides and file grievances against the company. Unions have been fleecing large firms for decades. If they're so altruistic, looking only to the rights of the "little guy" why do they routinely accept payments from Wal-Mart to not try to unionize? Because low-wage wal-Mark workers wouldn't contribute anything significant in dues to the UFL-CIO, that's why. If they care so much for the "little guy" why do they have strike wages of $250ish/week (on average) but spend billions on political advertising?

The notion of 25-year union veterans (hacks) getting the "no-work" or "no-show" jobs is not a part of the mafia myth.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Well, Mike, if you want to say that the problem isn't with the unions, it's with the cars, then I say, "Who's building the cars?" GM's (and the Big 3 generally) have earned their reputation for inferior quality over the last four decades partly from poor matierial quality, true. But squeaks, rattles, leaks, and sloppy fit-and-finish don't come from the robotic paint booth, they come from the guys doing the assembly. You know, union guys. The ones making 75k, free health care and 90% pensions for doing a semi-skilled 30k job.

It's not the problem that workers abuse their union membership. The union abuses union membership by writing contracts that force membership for all new hires, and that force the company to auto. deduct dues from the paychecks of all workers, even those that don't want to belong. This is extortion (something to which unions are no stranger) and amounts to a tax on wages roughly equivalent to FICA.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Right you are. And if the brand manager turns out to be a moron, or indeed if the whole policy of hiring from outside the industry turns out to be a bad idea, guess what? you can fire him! Not so an incompetant factory worker. My brother works for the phone company in D.C. A fellow worker in a union truck backed into a phone pole, knocking it OVER! Phone service was out three blocks in both directions, including to an annex building of the Dep't. of Interior. The $175,000 truck was totalled. The pole landed on and totalled two passenger cars. Was he fired? Nope. He was put on paid leave for three days pending investigation (at the company's expense). As part of arbitration between the company and the union (arbitration at company's expense) the guy was suspended without pay for ten days, the incident would be on his record, to be expunged two years thence on condition of good behaviour going forward. This would prevent him from being promoted (a pure nothing since the guy had already topped-out on the pay scale) for about two years. Finally, the results of the guy's drug test following the wreck would be labelled "inconclusive" and expunged from his employment record immediately.

Later, the company received a grievance filed by the union to get the guy's backpay for the ten-day supension. Company caved. The fellow is now a union steward. My bother reports this is more than common; it's the standard order of business between the C.W.A. and Verizon.

If this were the military, he'd have been convicted of dereliction by a court martial. If he were, God forbid, a company suit, he'd've been fired, and then sued for the damage he caused. He certainly would never work again driving. In the school system, if a school bus driver dings another car, they will never drive a school bus again, and rightfully so, given the prescious cargo. But if it's a union guy, well, gee whiz, he's being oppressed by the Man, pass him a beer! Unions will the end of this nation as a manufactoring power.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Well said, especially with regard to the feudal system. I supect that what the lords of the land are hoping is that the lack of bennies and holidays (or indeed any social safety net) will encourage a dog-eat-dog continuing development of brain trust. So that we continue to still have some of the smartest, but they would also be some of the toughest (mentally). 'Course, this could just produce a brain trust that isn't so much tough as vicious.

·
Registered
446 Posts
WHAT?! Have you seen the beer-guts on most "testosterone-charged" line workers? Mindless, repetative, semi-skilled "monkey-pull-the-lever, next-monkey-push-the-button" factory assembly jobs have been the model of this society's definition of manliness for exactly ZERO years of its history, Fred Flintstone notwithstanding.

We're talking about the class of jobs that, let's face it, hold neither this nation's brain trust nor its Olympic hopefuls. Even the guys who work such jobs tell their sons to go to college or enlist in the service so as to "do better than your pop, eh?"

I don't want GM or Ford or Chrysler to go out of business any more than anyone else. I drive a Ram 1500 truck. But even worse than them closing up shop would be the government bailing them out and keeping uncompetative businesses on life-support. Cuz then, you have taxpayers' money going to support a company whose products they don't want to buy. And that, my friends, is the very definition of socialized, state-controlled production.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.