Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
The irony here is people are jumping on the union as this evil entity and probably don't have any first hand experience in it.

Yes, there are problems with some people who abuse union membership. Is it the majority, I doubt it.

GMs problems are not caused by unions. They have financial problems for several reasons, one big one is the cost of health care. That could end if this country established some sort of national health care for all, not just the elderly, and controlled the costs like other industrialized nations. The other reasons are more complex, but it all comes down to the proper allocation of money.

This old horse has risen up in the past, but the real problem for GM and Ford, wasn't the union workers, it was management. That got exposed after Ross Perot became GMs largest shareholder. He shocked the hell out of management.

Meanwhile, management at Harley will probably threaten to build a plant in some third world country where the people get paid crap, don't have any bargaining rights or health care and the PR machine will continue to call it the great American company.

If you want to really understand what's going on do some bonifide research. That means going way beyond the daily newscasts that are manipulated by PR firms. The American middle class is getting squeezed constantly while the upper tier continues to rake in the dough.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Actually, private corporations, particularly the large transnational corporations try to control markets through the IMF and World Bank, and have been extremely successful due to their large campaign contributions.

Last I heard, Harley is no where near bankrupcy. I can't help but wonder what kind of concessions managment will make in their employment packages.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.