Motorcycle Forums banner
121 - 123 of 123 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Re: I can almost hear the giggles from here!

I doubt anybody--lawyers, dealers, Harley, anyone--really has a reliable count of the failures. I actually think 100,000 would be a low ball number. HD sold about 200,000 bikes last year alone. Wasn't the whole (or nearly whole) production run of TC-88's produced using the same components? Wouldn't that mean they're all subject to an increased failure rate? Also, 'statistically significant' is a number I would hate to define, because I understand the problem could result in engine lockup--a life-threatening situation. Two reported problems on an airplane can ground all of a given model worldwide, because it is a life-threatening situation. Ford is having problems with all it's Focuses because of engine shutdown, and I think they had about 60 documented cases, but having a car's motor shut down on the highway is not as bad as a bike locking up. So, let's say somewhere between 2 and 60 reported failures is enough. I had heard Harley would fix failed motors, but I didn't know about the 'life of the owner' part. Does that mean original purchaser only? What's that going to do to resale?

Like I said, I don't support frivolous lawsuits, but personally I see the merit in this one.

121 - 123 of 123 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.