Motorcycle Forums banner

Harley-Davidson 100th Anniversary

8K views 11 replies 12 participants last post by  xlr8r 
#1 ·
As a non-Harley guy and a resident of Milwaukee I say to all of you, no matter what you ride, come check it out. The week long party that was the 95th reunion was perhaps one of the most exciting things I've ever experienced, topping my trip to watch the Packers beat the Pats in the Superbowl and a few days spent in Utah for the Olympics, call it lame if you like, but it's the truth. I can only imagine how amazing the 100th will be.

Work in the city more or less grinds to a halt and cars are all but obsolete because half the city streets have block parties that only allow bikes to pass through. Some things are classic harley party style (which I hate), but others are actually geared toward riders of other brands (there's a big vintage bike contingent around here) and non-riders alike.

Anyway, like I said, come check it out, especially if you're a non-harley guy, you might (that's a big might) just have a change of heart and I promise you'll have a hell of a time. And if all else fails, the kettles of western Wisconsin (some pretty damn fine twisties for the mid-west) are only an hour or two away.

See less See more
#6 ·
Yeah MCN was reporting several of the events being cancelled due to NV's outcome. Still it would be a side show extrardinare, anything from totally hot women to old bikers that shouldnt be seen or smelled in the light of day. Im picturing the mosh pit for journey, oh wait thats a gang fight... Still if it comes off as smoothly as the local county fairs (which around here arent all that smooth, shootings, stabbings, etc) I'd be amazed. Just remember wear your bulletproof chaps... ;)

#7 ·
Gawd, I smell an approaching sh itstorm of PR hype coming on like a bunch of open-piped yuppies on hogs leaving the local Starbucks....all this to celebrate a motorcycle so dated (yeah even the V-Rod) that it makes most lawn tractors seem fast. Yaaaawwwwnnnnn.....

#8 ·
I know we all want to take our turns beating up on Harley, but let tham have their week long celebration, afterall 100 years in business is certainly a milestone these days. And to think of it, they're extremely profitable selling a bike with century-old technology. While not a Harley fan, hats off to them, and here's to another 100 years.

#9 ·
Do these people ever get tired of kissing their own asses? "impossible to put into words"? How about "cleverly scripted spontaneous celebration" or "midlife crisis village people dress up convention" Do they have free trailer parking, strategicaly located a mile or two down the road?, my god how tedious, Does the word discrete ever enter their collective minds?

#12 ·
'Discrete' means 'separate from, distinct, not part of the mass'; the word you want is 'discreet'. I'd think that the word 'discrete' enters H-D's collective mind quite a lot, and features in their 'stand out from the crowd; stand up and be counted' marketing guff - but whether that works when there are thousands of wannabe lone riders all together is another question. Whatever the 100th anniversary is, discreet it most certainly isn't.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.