Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Wait a second, the NHRA V&H "V-Rod" and Muzzy "Buell" are using S&S race motors. Now H-D is suing them? Yes, the lawsuits are about production motors, but it's kind of funny that H-D is financing the racing efforts, using S&S motors, and suing them at the same time. Oh, the irony!

·
Registered
771 Posts
Isn't this the same company that had the genius idea to try to patent the potato fart potato fart sound of the v-twin motor.

And arn't these the guys that sue any small business that dares to use hog in its product name.

Sue first ask questions latter is HD's moto.

·
Super Duper Mod Man
10,479 Posts
It is ironic. Harley should have had S&S develop the race motors on their coin, and then just copied the design without buying any motors from S&S. I wonder how S&S would feel about that?

·
Registered
320 Posts
Why is everyone surprised?

Regardless of y'alls feelings towards Harley, why is everyone surprised about this lawsuit?

Would any of us even raise an eyebrow if one of the Japanese big four or BMW or Ducati sued a company that was violating thier patents? I think not.

·
Registered
3,415 Posts
I've wondered for years how companies like S&S and Delkron got away with copying Harley designs. Harley has always sold complete engines so really they are giving away a percentage of their market, specialy now that they have the Screaming Eagle line of cams and valves and carbs. I'd have sued them a long time ago.

(spell check please, Eddie....)

·
Registered
323 Posts
Re: But WHAT patents?

I've wondered that myself. I guess Harley makes subtle changes and then gets new patents, kind of like the pharmaceuticals add extras to cut down on previous side effects and then get new patents so they can continue to charge big bucks. It's all about greed. If the big 4 metrics could do it they would too.

·
Registered
7 Posts
HA! Great comment that points out the very problem I have with the current HD craze; the companies "success" was built on the backs (and wallets) of US motorcylists. IMO, the company should have died the death it deserved (at that time) instead of being propped up by Mr. Forbes and Ronnie. I have respect for what they have done since (evolution to TC88 to revolution, improvements in manufacturing, engineering and QA, etc) but so few people know the truth about the "American Motor Company" and how it made it's rise to glory.

·
Registered
323 Posts
"American Motor Company" which for years now can no longer claim "Made in USA", but a recent look at a local HD store I found USA by the company name on the tank. What that really means is USA division of HD, not made in USA. I'm sure it fools many though. Also there at the "American Motor Company" store, I noticed many chrome add ons and accessories made in Taiwan and China.

·
Super Duper Mod Man
10,479 Posts
Re: Need to unload some unsold bikes

Or maybe they just want people to stop copying, and selling, the motors they spent the money developing, and own the patent rights to.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Don't misunderstand me. I've always wondered how the Evo/Big-Twin clone manufacturers and H-D have coexisted. I figured it was mutually beneficial to both parties. I sense that now H-D is starting to feel the whole small manufacturer/custom cadre inching in on their business, so they're taking action.

In the meantime, they're buying/financing race engines (based on the basic H-D design) from the same third party supplier that they're suing and tagging them as H-Ds and Buells. Don't you see a bit of a mixed message here?

If S&S had a licencing agreement that they're not living up to, I could understand a bit more. But that doesn't seem to be the case.

·
Registered
955 Posts
Harley Davidson…True American Iron-y

CLASS: PR. 101

TOPIC: Chutzpah

MATERIAL: Harley Davidson

SPECIFICS: Companies position on previous technological advancements, and current statements of self-aggrandizement and delusion.

Harley’s got some big balls! In the past thirty-years, Harleys total development of new technology would amount to a slow-month in Japan. And, having a company representative crowing about it borders on downright surreal. Considering you would be hard-pressed to find anything on one of today’s Japanese bikes that was around 15 years ago, Harley’s statement about carrying-over only a hand-full of engine parts, from a previous engne, is blatantly silly!

After this, I’d hope that S&S has the good sense to move-on and strike-out on their own, leaving Harley and it’s "advanced" technology behind.

·
Registered
955 Posts
Makes Sense to Me?

I'm thinking about developing a radical new idea, a Bi-Plane. Anyone know if the Curtis Corporation is still around and inforcing thier patents?

:)

·
Registered
208 Posts
Overhead deep in the bowels of HD: "The stock just took a dump!!! What the hell are we paying you lawyers for?? Do something!!"

This is probably just the opening savlo of HD's operation to get a kung-fu grip on the market. Hello 1984!!

Can't wait to see the 2007 top-of-the-line Star 700cc cruiser.

·
Registered
361 Posts
For every motor vehicle manufacturer, there are companies making aftermarket replacement and performance-improvement parts.

S&S has been making aftermarket parts for Harley engines for decades without Harley making a peep.

Now that H-D is expanding its line of performance-upgrade parts, it's trying to eliminate any competitors.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.