Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Super Duper Mod Man
10,479 Posts
"And M/V - Double Wow."

This is just the second best day of a sportbike company buyers life. That move was a bonehead from the beginning.

·
Super Duper Mod Man
10,479 Posts
"Time to team up with someone and start anew. I think that there are three possibilities: 1- Motoczyz 2- Fischer or 3- Roehr."

Boy those are some great choices there. I'm sure Erik is just chomping at the bit to get to one of those powerhouses and get out of that horrible H-D hellhouse!

·
Super Duper Mod Man
10,479 Posts
My take on why Buell is getting shut down is because Erik got duped. He got bamboozled, hoodwinked, flim-flamed.......and not by the eternally evil H-D.........but by the Internet and the fickle so-called American buyer. I think Erik read all those Internet boards that told him if he put a REAL motor in his bike they would buy one. Well, Erik ambled down to the H-D powers that be and presented his case, and bet the house on his new 'real-motor' bike. He was all in. To say the 1125 was a bust is being kind. So times got tough, and H-D called in Erik and let him know that losing all those millions developing that new bike that didn't sell for crap wasn't appreciated. And they told him that in the most convincing terms.....by shutting the whole business down. The lesson for Erik here is not to listen to Internet blowhards that aren't going to buy American anything, much less a sportbike. The closing of Buell wasn't sudden. It was in the making the day Erik dreamed that the Internet blowhards would actually buy the 1125. You know......the one with the 'real motor' in it.

·
Super Duper Mod Man
10,479 Posts
"Point is, Erik's name is his marketing. "

Really? How'd that work out for the Buell Company? Sportbikes are losers in any market. They don't make money. All those companies you named that are setting world records and holding their own aren't making a dime. They are run by rich guys that have nothing else for a tax writeoff. The rogue company that makes it big is such a romantic idea, but there was a big reason Erik partnered up with H-D. They were the only ones that would have him

·
Super Duper Mod Man
10,479 Posts
At least Eric made a good go of it. More that you can say for Czyxtlplx or whatever his name is and his "we'll be marketing a cutting edge sportbike real soon, just keep sending me those investment dollars" bs.
Sure he made a good go of it. He also hooked up with some deep pockets to get him started. I think Erik had some good designs and some nice bikes. I always like Buells. He was destined to be a niche guy though, and that niche has been squeezed.

·
Super Duper Mod Man
10,479 Posts
"They should have let Buell hold it's own as a company instead of being tied to HD dealers. "

Business wise, that would have been an exceptionally bad idea.

·
Super Duper Mod Man
10,479 Posts
"LR- you're too cynical."

I'm that or realistic. Depends on how you look at it.

"Buell managed to take an underfunded business into it's 26th yr of business."

That was becuase Buell was handed a Golden Apple, yet nobody will admit it. He had a ready made motor, dealerships, customer service, warehousing, parts department, manufacturing plant, advertising, and engineering staff help all on Harley's dime. Underfunded? Not by anyone's accounting. It was really overfunded for what started out as a kit bike with lots of problems and recalls. All Erik had to worry about was building the bikes. No cynic here, just realist.

·
Super Duper Mod Man
10,479 Posts
Well, if you buy that 1125, you and KPaul can go riding together, because he was a big supporter of that 'real motor' in the Buell. Give him a call when you get a chance.

·
Super Duper Mod Man
10,479 Posts
As a super moderator, you might be a little nicer to a paying customer. Don't read into my comments a defense of whats-his-name, because I don't care for internet trolls any more than you do. I thought I'd add something first hand to this thread about the motorcycles under discussion, but if all you want to see is more kpaul bashing, I'll desist.
Well, you came in after a year bashing anyone that said anything about him, so I figured I'd keep bringing him up. If you weren't defending him, then what was it you were doing, ripping us? You said it was all our fault that he keeps showing up here, I might as well go all the way and bring him up every day.

·
Super Duper Mod Man
10,479 Posts
Wow. longride, what's with all the hate for the bike? It's just a chunk of metal, rubber and plastic.

I loved my Buell, I just couldn't bend my knees like that any more.

I really liked every Buell I've ridden. Have you ridden one?

Just asking.
First of all, I don't hate Buell in the least. I was being honest. I guess people can't figure that out sometimes. Something that struck me funny is that if I can't hate something that is only metal, rubber,and plastic, then how could you love somethig like that? Weird eh? I actually tested a Buell with MO years ago with Sean, Buz and Martin. It was a decent enough bike, but I never saw it as a world beater or anything. I'm not sure I would ever buy one, but I certainly have nothing against it. I do see why Harley dumped them though. Erik blew a wad on something that was never going to sell. I bet if he stuck with the air-cooled motor, he would still have a job. He gambled and lost. I don't need to ride an 1125 to know it is mediocre at best in the sportbike world where numbers rule that game. Is it a decent bike? Sure.

·
Super Duper Mod Man
10,479 Posts
You need to ride one. I have now ridden Buells with both engines and can say they are nearly as different as night and day.
I'm sure it is a nice enough bike when you compare it to the air-cooled Buell, but what about when you compare the Japanese and Italian, and British competition? I will try to ride one, but after owning a Hayabusa for 2 years, I'm not sure I will come away all that impressed. If I can get a ride on one, I will report what I think of it. Oh yeah, It's nice to have you back. Hang around and have some fun.

·
Super Duper Mod Man
10,479 Posts
"Buell was always the Harley stepchild. Buell bikes always got short thrift in the Harley showrooms. They were never part of the Harley culture. It's no surprise the bikes didn't sell well. A buyer really has to like a bike to buy it from a dealer/sales staff who sneers at their own product."

So you are balming Harley for the crappy sales of the 1125? Please!

·
Super Duper Mod Man
10,479 Posts
"It's not a figment of everyone's imaginations; there are real challenges for the company long- and not-so-long term."

Pretty much the same challenges they had in the 60's when they sold to AMF, and in the 80's when they bought it back. All they make is large motorcycles. The company will wax and wane like the tide today, as in the past.

·
Super Duper Mod Man
10,479 Posts
"That means 1125CRs are going for about $5k right now. "

They are $6995 from the dealers brand new. That is the lowest price I have seen so far.

·
Super Duper Mod Man
10,479 Posts
"I'm going to go buy a Buell RIGHT NOW Dammit!!!!!!!!"

Hell, I'm not getting a Busa either. My license had enough of that abuse. I'll just stick with tooling around on the E-Glide and waving and smiling at the cops......and they wave and smile back. I like that.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts