Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
11,491 Posts
Well, I've been waiting for the other shoe to drop.

"Thud."

·
Registered
11,491 Posts
BTW: I'm sorry it didn't work out, Erik. Really. You did admirably with what you were given - far exceeding what anyone thought you could accomplish with so little.

·
Registered
11,491 Posts
There's millions of dollars of Harley investment stuck in the pipes. Can't believe they developed a new engine, got Buell shoe horned into Superbike competition, developed multiple new models, contracted with guys like Eslick to race their bikes, only to shut it all down on short notice. Too bad, I was really thinking that 1125 would make a great base for a sport tourer, dual sport and standard. Best of luck to Eric, hopefully he can resurrect the brand in another form.
I've got just one arrangement of letters & numbers to answer you: VR1000

·
Registered
11,491 Posts
You don't always have to be a "powerhouse" to be a player. Czyz has that electic TT bike setting world records. Roehr is building bikes that, albeit expensive, apparently aren't so expensive as to not be profitable if made by the small team he's assembled. Fischer needs marketing. I'd bet that the little bike will hold it's own against like bikes from Asia. He's selling them for less than $9k, too.
Point is, Erik's name is his marketing. If he joins forces with another running company instant cred it delivered. Kind of like Tamborini bounching from Bimota to Ducati to MV. No matter where he goes money flows with him. People want in. Even if the company isn't making large profits. If Erik joined one of these guys instant financing would be freed up by someone ready to take a shot.
As for the non-compete. Designers come and go in motorcycle and auto industries. I'd bet that there is a contract, but no non-compete. Erik's only bound by a non-disclosure of proprietary information.
I read an article by Kenn Stamp that made since. His belief is that HD screwed the pooch on Marketing the company. They should have let Buell hold it's own as a company instead of being tied to HD dealers. Those "Sportbike" shops that exsist around the country like Corse Superbikes should have been the dealer network rather than HD shops and their less than enthusiastic sales people.
The "real motor" argument is fair, but I think that the majority of the problem was marketing. Buell makes a great streetbike, but everyone wanted to compare it to bikes that were clearly not in the same category of bike. You can't directly compare a bike built with track intentions (the 1098R) to a bike that even Buell calls a streetbike. So, Buell was left in this weird middle ground of "how do you market it" and things blew apart from there. Jouros wanted to compare the bikes to hardcore sportbikes and usually Buell came out the loser. Erik should have adapted earlier to that or stuck to his guns by continuing the "it's just a great streetbike" idea. He flexed thinking you can compare the bikes to modern track style bikes. His DUH! button was stuck on that call. But the question is, "Was Buell bleeding money or where they just the easiest way to control cost and keep the unions happy?"
And I think you have the crux of it, in that last statement.

I could see the pain in his eyes and face. I don't know if he'll rebound from this one or not. "Buell" as a company - even as a part of H-D - was something he'd vested Heart and Soul into.

·
Registered
11,491 Posts
The problem was the whole Buell brand in the first place. They should have called them Sportsters. The Sporty was always supposed to be Harleys performance bike and the Buell is that concept in reality. The current edition of the Sportster would then become a Roadster and marketed that way with the low seats and all that crap.

That eliminates the whole antipathy between HD and their dealers about getting Buell jammed down their throats, they can display them as Harley Sportbikes, HD only guys that wanted a hot rod would have it right there in front of them.......the clouds would part, angels would sing, the streets would be paved with gold coins and cagers would pull over and park in shame as the faithful rode by...........

well maybe not but they still should be Sportsters. HD has it's head up it's ass as usual.
I know 2 or 3 guys that thought the only thing Buell was good for - was cylinder-heads for their Girlsters.

·
Registered
11,491 Posts
Then why do you keep coming back here? Why do you spam our mailboxes? Why are you no longer active at 2WF?

You're the sad nerd who makes fun of the cool kids while desperately trying to get into their club. It's pathetic.
Interesting that he IS exactly what he's denigrating in his silly missive you quoted.

Typical Lefty Projection.

·
Registered
11,491 Posts
You mean Al Bundy> Selling womens's shoes and hating his wife and kids?
I don't think Socko's anywhere NEAR that happy. I think maybe he aspires to that someday. If someone will only provide it for him.

Happiness isn't a "place" - it's a state of being. And it isn't just all Haggis and Cranachan chased with C0ck-a-Leekie soup, either.

·
Registered
11,491 Posts
Don't forget, he was part of the IBBAREIBOTB (If Buell Builds a Real Engine I'll Buy One Tomorrow Brigade).
I thought he was a member of the of the NePoTEPHRB? (Negative Pony-Tailed Engunear-Pile-it Horseback-Riders Brotherhood)

·
Registered
11,491 Posts
If you guys would JUST STOP TALKING ABOUT HIM!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sorry man, can't help ourselves. He rules our lives, he's ALL we think about, we can't get through a day without discussing him, it's an unhealthy symbiotic-relationship.............. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
11,491 Posts
Quite alright old bean..perfectly understandable.

Believe me we don't encourage the fool we ban him every time he sticks his head up. The guy is simply too f*cking stupid to believe that he is not welcome here. We as moderators have tried everything to accommodate the guy if he would only act like a rational human being and contribute something yet he has proven himself incapable of anything other than the same old off the wall crap he's been coming up with for years.
Including just "letting him run" and come back for awhile. When he acted sane. For about ten posts.....................

·
Registered
11,491 Posts

·
Registered
11,491 Posts
Typical America hating pinko commie, go ahead and choke on your Jap Crap!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm going to go buy a Buell RIGHT NOW Dammit!!!!!!!!
I thought Buell WAS "Japcrap" until last week...........

·
Registered
11,491 Posts
Which dealer? Crap! If I didn't already own two perfectly good bikes and wasn't working on paying down my debt, I'd buy one of those 1125CR's in a heartbeat. Is that price plus tax then out the door?
And that there is the Crux of my own problem.

Ah, such is Life.

·
Registered
11,491 Posts
Did any of you guys hear that "Queef" noise again?

·
Registered
11,491 Posts
So, I was cruising blogs today looking at some of the stupid ideas to keep Buell alive and like a bolt of lightning it hit me: Why would HD not shed the whole Buell name? I know that they believe that the dependency of the brand is link to HD because of the parts and distribution, but what if someone could come along and turn Buell into America's version of Bimota?
They could still use all that engineering brain-power and start churning our bikes with different powerplants. At one time Bimota was shipping bikes with Ducati, Suzuki and Yamaha motors in them. Seems plausible doesn't it?
I could see all kinds of interesting pieces come out of that place. Inlines, twins and triples. Hell, Yamaha is developing a 1200 parallel twin that is supposed to be able to crank out about 110hp- and the motor is supposed to be very light. Or maybe the Triumph 675 triple. I'm not saying it's a slam dunk, but it's an interesting idea that could keep Buell developing. Maybe even work on a GP2 bike. If King Kenny can build a frame for that I'm sure Erik can.
Well, the V-Rod certainly sells like Hotcakes at a Church Fellowship Breakfast, don't it? Universally LOVED by riders of The Motor Company's product, too.

·
Registered
11,491 Posts
1 - 18 of 18 Posts