Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Re: Facts vs. Hype

I'm not sure about the other Japanese motorcycle companies, but I know Honda does some sort of annual report for their worldwide sales. I saw a translated copy of it from 2002 or 2003 and according to it they lost money. I've tried to find a copy online but I can't. A stockbroker might be able to, though.

That might be typical of only Honda, though. Within the last two years they've done nothing but way overproduce and then discount every single bike they make. It's no surprise to me that they wouldn't turn a profit. However, one the flipside I'll bet that Yamaha turns a profit, probably mostly off their cruiser line, and maybe Kawasaki as well, since they've got quite a few models that were amortized years ago that still sell decently (Concours, their entire cruiser line, etc.)

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Re: Yamaha MT01

I personally think it's a really neat bike, but I doubt many people in the U.S. market would be into it.

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Re: Facts vs. Hype

Well, yeah. In Honda and Kawasaki's cases, they could afford to do it because they have other parts of their business that are much larger and that could support an unprofitable motorcycle business. Honda, in particular, could just be using its motorcycle business to promote its brand image to sell more cars.

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
It seems like a lot of their new models this year are just current models with spoke wheels.

However, the Screamin Eagle V-Rod looks *****in.

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Re: But what about the future?

Imagine that- a world without sportbikes! How will we survive without the yearly GSX-R1000 reviews?

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Re: Hawgs

To add to that, I'm sure all those 5 foot wings on import tuner cars are there for pure function. Lord knows you really need one on your unmodified Civic that tops out at 90mph.

·
Registered
1,670 Posts

Bull*****. You bought your Honda because you thought it was superior in some way to all the other similar bikes out there. Honda made you think that through marketing. No one is immune to marketing, no matter how much they desperately want to be.

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Re: Yamaha MT01

Kawasaki had an EFI KZ in the 70's which I'm pretty sure predates any turbo made by the big 4, which were an 80's thing.

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Re: small potato's

Well, yeah, but that's also because Honda sells scooters, off-road bikes, and sportbikes, none of which Harley sells. Harley far outsells them in streetbikes.

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Re: But what about the future?

That isn't a particularly new issue- there've been regulations on car stereos now for over five years. They must be now figuring out they can do the same thing to motorcycles.

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Re: CRF....

That may be the case in your area, but there's plenty of CRF450Rs to be had here in SoCal. Several of the big stores (Bert's, for example) still has '03's left over, and Honda's already intro'd '05s. And they can't give away their two-strokes, largely because they're junk compared to the other bikes out there by Kawasaki, Suzuki, and Yamaha.

Besides, that's two models out of about 80.

Honda may make money on GoldWings, but their dealers sure don't. Most can't sell one for within $1000 of MSRP.

·
Registered
1,670 Posts

Yes, the Wing did offer better all-around performance... for you and the other motorcycle buyers like you who use it for a similar purpose. They designed, built, and MARKETED it to you and the other buyers like you based on your own requirements of what you needed in a motorcycle, just like Harley designed, built, and markets its bikes to other buyers with different sets of requirements.

I just don't understand why people use "marketing" as a four letter word. All successful companies do it on all their products. There's nothing wrong with it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts