Motorcycle shipments:

Three Months Ended Six Months Ended

2004 2003 2004 2003

2,718 1,942 5,321 4,883

Net Revenue:

Three Months Ended Six Months Ended

2004 2003 2004 2003

23,109 15,016 45,192 35,514

Looks like Buell gained in all areas in the 3 month and 6 month time frames. Not sure what is "hype" when you have 19 years of record profits and are shipping 314,000 motorcycles. I think I'd call that "success", but I guess if their company name doesn't end with a vowel, it don't count, eh?

·
Super Duper Mod Man
10,479 Posts
Facts vs. Hype

Lets put it this way. Buell is on track to ship 12,000 motorcycles this year. The fantastic, great, perfect VFR only sold 2,000 last year. People consider Buell a failure, and they consider Honda VFR a raving success. Now tell me who is bullshytting who? Who has "hype" and hwo has "facts"? Lots of people ***** that I don't post Japanese profits and sales. Know why? There aren't any. Period. Impossible to find a Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki, or Suzuki balance sheet for their motorcycle operations. It's all smoke and mirrors. Somebody over there in Japan has to have one don't they? All they ever post is " We sold more bikes than last year". They have no breakdowns as to the American market. Why? Because I have said all along that they make no money here. If they did they would brag about it. Since there is nothing to brag about, they just keep quiet. If anyone reads this and disagrees, find and post a balance sheet from a Japanese company that specifies their motorcycle market. I've looked for many hours and never found one. If you find one, I'd love to see it and will post it 10 times just in case you miss the first nine.

·
Super Duper Mod Man
10,479 Posts
Re: Facts vs. Hype

First, they make plenty of profit in other areas of the world. Second, they would do it to dominate a market. How else can they redesign a sport bike every 3 years and sell it at the same price? Answer: You can't.

·
Super Duper Mod Man
10,479 Posts
And why they COULD

That sounds good, only just because they don't HAVE to doesn't mean they can't. I understand Harley has to to this, but why wouldn't the Japanese companies do it anyway? The Euro companies report sales and profits all the time, and they are under the same rules as the Japanese, right? If they were making a killing here, you know damn well they would get the word out. In this case I still say no words say volumes. I never said it was a cover up, just wondering what the secret is if they are so successful.

·
Super Duper Mod Man
10,479 Posts
Re: not even with yours

You do have a valid point. After her and Kid Dork, I think she would need a dip in muriatic acid to clean that up.

·
Super Duper Mod Man
10,479 Posts
Re: Facts vs. Hype

Since we weren't talking about "the marketplace" I guess you missed the point entirely. Wouldn't be the first time for you though.

·
Super Duper Mod Man
10,479 Posts
Re: Honda bulletproof?

I had a buddy that had his new Wing recalled 3 times, 2 of which included a broken frame and overheating. We don't even want to talk about all the money he would lost to get rid of the junk. LOL

·
Super Duper Mod Man
10,479 Posts
Re: Hawgs

Instead of cultural amnesia, I think ya just have amnesia. My 1976 Superglide stock had Kayaba forks, Mikuni carb, and after digging into the engine, many seals that were made in Japan, so those same crappy old Harleys had Japanese parts too. All that was way before there was tariffs or bankruptcy. No one works on anything or knows how anything works? Didn't that spawn a whole generation of Japanese motorcycle riders? Buy a bike you don't have to work on, and then when you do, send it to the junkyard. Let's go to the local boneyard and count the number of Japanese bikes to Harleys. Why don't you buy a thrashed Japanese bike for $750 and build that?

·
Super Duper Mod Man
10,479 Posts

Yeah, we know Honda never markets their products. LOL Your GoldWing will still end up in the junkyard because not only is it of no value to you, but no value to anyone else either. My refrigerator has no marketing and is really efficient, but when it breaks it hits the garbage, just like your Honda. The only thing you seem to be immune to is emotion. I suppose if your motorcycle is an appliance, then all in the world is well for you.

·
Super Duper Mod Man
10,479 Posts
Why would you care? Isn't your Wing the most perfect and wonderful motorcycle in the world. Aren't you immune to marketing and hype? Don't Harleys leak all over floors? After saying all that bullshyt, you now want to know what Harley is doing with their models? Shouldn't you be more concerned what Honda is doing?

·
Super Duper Mod Man
10,479 Posts
You gave me the facts, but you didn't answer the question. How many bikes did they sell? If they sold 20 and next year sold 40 that is a 100% increase, but they still only sold 40 motorcycles. So again, how many bikes did they sell?

·
Super Duper Mod Man
10,479 Posts
Re: Honda bulletproof?

With only 11,000 miles in over 2 years, sounds like you need to talk about your Wing less and ride it more.

·
Super Duper Mod Man
10,479 Posts
Sarnali should like this. Triumph Demo truck is showing up at my local dealer next week. Word is they will have 7 Rocket III's available to ride. Gonna take a ride on all the bikes they got. I already like the Speed Triple, but lets see how that Rocket III runs eh?

·
Super Duper Mod Man
10,479 Posts

Gotta gree with what you said. But, as far as the selling nostalgia, if they didn't they wouldn't be in business. I was born in 57, so we treaded over the same ground, I was just a few steps behind. I got my first Triumph for 300 bucks. Damn, I'm re-living the old days!

·
Super Duper Mod Man
10,479 Posts
Re: small potato's

That's all you had to say. I don't know. I'm happy for Triumph. I owned two. Never twisted my knickers. I just asked a question. I thought maybe he knew the answer.

·
Super Duper Mod Man
10,479 Posts
Re: Wings in Junk Yards? Huh?

I got pictures from a website that has the whole story of a guy riding his Shovelhead to Alaska last year. Maybe you missed him. Dave Barr took his Shovelhead 85,000 miles around the world. Maybe you missed him too. If the bike is so good, why did you pay only 950 bucks for it? You live near the biggest junkyard in Minnesota? Would that be anywhere close in size to the smallest junkyard in Chicago? More people live in Chicago than your whole state. That would hardly qualify you as an expert on junk, other than riding a 950 buck Wing. And yes, your Wing will end up in the junkyard, as I predicted, and my Shovelhead won't, as I predicted. Thanks for proving my points for me. You could have just said "You're right".

1 - 20 of 20 Posts