Motorcycle Forums banner
101 - 120 of 148 Posts

·
The Toad
17,458 Posts
Re: But what about the future?

I'm wondering if the neverending screws being put to the noise standards are a worse threat.

·
MODERATOR X
5,449 Posts
Re: 1976 Pacer

Yeah, first Federalized car came out in 1968; it was all downhill from there. Actually, the 70's cars weren't so bad; it was all the crazy emission control devices they had to come up with, that goofed ‘em up.

·
Registered
3,415 Posts
Re: small potato's

I'm not sure how many bikes Triumph sold. Next to HD or any of the Japanese manufacturers they're pretty small so the actual numbers aren't going to be that big. I do know they sold at least one bike because I bought it.

Be that as it may a 34% increase in sales is still a nice jump. Harley has done well for the last 15 years and I think thats great. They're well made, reliable and attractive bikes, a real American success story.

The other poster merely pointed out that as a percentage Triumph sales have increased more than Harleys. No need to get your knickers in a twist over that, There's room at the top for Harley as well.

·
The Toad
17,458 Posts
Re: 1976 Pacer

Not that bad? You do have amnesia! Can you spell Pinto? K-Car? New Mustang?

Junk. Utter junk.

Worse than Fiat 850s.

·
The Toad
17,458 Posts
Re: Yamaha MT01

Fuel injection development was originally for diesels I believe. Then it was further driven by the demand for aircraft that could fly inverted. It was more than slightly embarassing for your fighter to stall when taking negative G's.

Motorcycle injection is a pretty late development. Nothing to brag about.

·
Registered
3,415 Posts
Re: Hawgs

His goldwing will fine until some key part fails and he finds out the part is A). $599.00 B). No longer available, and

C). 10 hrs. labor @ $95.00 p/h to install if they could find one, on a bike thats now worth $1500.00 if it was running., which it isn't

·
Registered
3,415 Posts
Re: Wait a minute....

I had 2 Pintos, they were actually pretty good cars. Now if you're talking about 4 ton *****-barge LTDs, Caprices or Vista Cruisers you're right. Overweight, ill handling, numb steering, put-you-through-the-windshield brakes, gas hog rolling turds, all except my '69 440 Fury 111 ex-cop car I got when I got out of the Navy. That was a runner.

·
Registered
3,415 Posts
Re: Like ***** through a goose

The only person I've talked to that rode one said it was flat out the hardest pulling bike he's ever ridden. If that don't put a smile on your face I don't know what to tell ya' LOL

·
MODERATOR X
5,449 Posts
Re: The Might Pinto

Pintos! I had a 1976 Pinto Pony MPG Sedan, automatic. No power anything, turned like a 51 De Soto, with flat tires.

It finally ended up with a Holley 390, ISKY Cam, headers, tweeked distributor. That 2.3 litre motor was sweet, all standard SAE on the outside, metric on the inside. 5 mains, with a 75 lb. crankshaft. German Ford.

With the MPG gearing, that little bugger would top out at around 115 mph. Used to ***** off, and beat, psudo-sports cars like the Porche 924.

Man, every time some fool starts badmouthing Pintos, I want to punch 'em. I pity da fool...

Your Plymouth sounds like something out of the Blues Bros. Cop tires, cop engine, cop brakes...etc..

·
MODERATOR X
5,449 Posts
Re: Fix it again, tony

850's! Ha, you're talking to someone who owned two.

I especially liked the "Valve Bend Option" when the miserable rubber-band timing belt would break.

Or the marvelous "Marelli Prince of Darkness"?

But the best was when the head would rot, from not using a precise 60/40 ratio of coolant/water.

Much better than the 500 (crash box).

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Re: small potato's

Well, yeah, but that's also because Honda sells scooters, off-road bikes, and sportbikes, none of which Harley sells. Harley far outsells them in streetbikes.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Re: Hawgs

In short, his Goldwing will either be parts on eBay or he'll buy parts on eBay for it... just like me and my '78, which is worth $2000 whole and running but should bring $5000 in pieces. I bet a 1978 Dyna in running condition will bring $5k in either condition.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Re: But what about the future?

Thats seems to be a biger threat to all mofos love.

All the folks putting open drag pipes on their HDs, and Yosh Ti pipes on their rice burners. The more anoying we let our bikes get the more laws they pass against us.

A town I know of has passed a noise ordenance for the main street, applies to any noise, bikes, cars, radios, street mimes, and it has survived its first court challenges. The outdoor restaurant patrons where complaining to the city fathers about the loud bikes going by, so they cast a broad net.

·
MODERATOR X
5,449 Posts
Re: Man...

...that thing is wild looking. Check out the exhaust manifold, looks like something off an old Cleveland, or Indian. Too much.

101 - 120 of 148 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.