Motorcycle Forums banner

Harley did it again?

30K views 147 replies 39 participants last post by  captainwhoopass 
#1 ·
Re: They did it again?

You Harley shill!

How much butt does one have to kiss to get some VFR sales figures posted?

#77 ·
Re: Hawgs

Alls that is, is marketing. Harley has to be the most successful marketeer in the world. The reason you see so few Harleys in a junkyard is people are crazy for anything that says HD on it, they pay outrageous sums of money for it.

I am glad I am immune to such marketing ploys.

#79 ·

Yeah, we know Honda never markets their products. LOL Your GoldWing will still end up in the junkyard because not only is it of no value to you, but no value to anyone else either. My refrigerator has no marketing and is really efficient, but when it breaks it hits the garbage, just like your Honda. The only thing you seem to be immune to is emotion. I suppose if your motorcycle is an appliance, then all in the world is well for you.

#82 ·
Why would you care? Isn't your Wing the most perfect and wonderful motorcycle in the world. Aren't you immune to marketing and hype? Don't Harleys leak all over floors? After saying all that bullshyt, you now want to know what Harley is doing with their models? Shouldn't you be more concerned what Honda is doing?

#84 ·
Here's the facts:

June 21, 2004 – Triumph Motorcycles (America) Ltd., announced today that the company’s U.S. new unit sales jumped 104% during May – with an overall year-to-date increase of 34.5% -- when compared to the same time period (January-May) in 2003. Triumph’s U.S. sales growth continues to exceed the U.S. industry year-to-year new unit sales growth of 8 %.

Strong interest in the new Thruxton 900 café-racer inspired version of the classic Bonneville, the ground-breaking Rocket III power cruiser, and the updated Tiger dual-sport styled motorcycle has helped to fuel recent sales growth and drive more consumers to Triumph dealers. Consumers have also reacted positively to the firm’s strong finance programs. "Motorcyclist’s interest in the Triumph brand has never been stronger," said Todd Andersen, Marketing Vice President, Triumph Motorcycles (America) Ltd. "We are very pleased to report that our existing models account for almost all of the 2004 sales increase as Thruxtons just began arriving in dealerships in May, and our Rocket III is arriving in showrooms at the end of June."

So Harley's 8.9% increase is in line with the industry standard of 8% for the US market.

#87 ·
Sarnali should like this. Triumph Demo truck is showing up at my local dealer next week. Word is they will have 7 Rocket III's available to ride. Gonna take a ride on all the bikes they got. I already like the Speed Triple, but lets see how that Rocket III runs eh?

#88 ·
Re: But what about the future?

What happens to HD when the air cooled V-Twin cannot pass EPA regulations?
What if that day never comes?

• The Buell engines are already at or near CARB08
    without using catalytic converters.
  • Air cooled engines come up to temperature quicker,
    which is an advantage for some types of emissions testing.
  • H-D (and to a lesser extent Buell) sell their bikes based
    on image, not on spec numbers. [Does Harley even
    post HP numbers for most models?]. So even if they needed
    to neuter the engine to pass EPA it might not
    impact their sales much.

Putting the shoe on the other foot, what will CARB08 do to sportbike sales? Some percentage of that market is driven solely by specs like "0.836946 HP increase over last years model". What would happen if a new EPA requirement ended up cutting HP by 5% across all the model lines?

#92 ·

It's just you have a different type or rider, trying to project the same image, as the Harley riders of yore. Doesn't work, for me.

That's what I meant about "selling nostalgia".

It's the kind of person who trailers their Electra Glide to Sturgis. Arm chaps, and all.

Maybe I made a mistake when I said, "How bad they were". Everything was "bad", back then, before your AMF. Bad in the respect of inherent design flaws that made riding one, well, interesting. If you knew what you were doing, you fixed it, didn't "take it to the shop".

Actually, I think AMF got a bad rap. That's when most people think Harley started going down the tubes, but in my mind, that's when they started trying to "get it right". I'm sure a few people will howl at that one.

I was born in '55, and by the time I came of age, all the old Brit, Italian, and American bikes from the late fifties/early sixties were starting to wear out, and blow up, in great quantities. You could buy one for a song. People even gave them away. (Like a rat 61 cubic inch Knucklehead someone gave me, long ago, running).

I have a garage full of old Japanese bikes, most of them given to me in a basket, that now are all running, and looking pretty good. I drive 'em, and try to wear them out.

And if the price of an old hawg ever gets down to a reasonable level, I'll buy one of those, too. But you don't see too many rat Harleys putting around anymore, do you?

#93 ·
Re: Facts vs. Hype

Sounds like you know very little about the way massive business works. They aren't looking for profit here, they are looking for investors. The hottest, newest bike every couple years brings in more investment money than the best selling bike every will.

Its a game.

#96 ·

Actually,

Some of it has to do with the fact that the steal used to make the jap bikes was low grade american steel, that was not only poorer quality, but was also shipped a few thousand miles across saltwater.

GOOD THINKIN'!

That's why they started making their cars here.

#98 ·

Gotta gree with what you said. But, as far as the selling nostalgia, if they didn't they wouldn't be in business. I was born in 57, so we treaded over the same ground, I was just a few steps behind. I got my first Triumph for 300 bucks. Damn, I'm re-living the old days!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.