Motorcycle Forums banner
41 - 60 of 127 Posts

·
Super Duper Mod Man
10,479 Posts
Re: Harley Sporkster catch & release

The bike you want is not an XLCR, which was a standard Sportster with the cafe look, but an XR1000, which had the high mount dual pipes and dual carbs. I saw one in a leather dealer shop last year, and he was selling the thing for 15 grand. Those bikes fetch quite a buck on the market these days. I agree with you. Bring back and XR1000.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Many a canyon squid has had their ass handed to them, by a fat old fart on a Sportster. -Sean

I used to chase Hondas in the late '70s on my Triumph tiger and could always beat them through the corners, but had no poop exiting the corner. And there were some fast Harley riders back then too. But I don't see them anymore today. Mostly they are all cruising and blocking the roads

I bought my Harley a dozen years ago to replace my Britbikes because I thought that would be the last machine made that I could work on by myself. Pretty much to this day Harleys are still hobby bikes. But, it's odd that they are mostly owned by people who don't know which end of the wrench to use.

Anyway, Triumph was trying to rubbermount their 650 motors in the '60's along with playing with multicylinders and overhead cams. Norton finally did it for their Commando in 1967. But it took Harley until about 1980 to figure it out, and 25 years later to do it to their Sportsters. I'm just not impressed.

But, you still can't go wrong with a Harley as a hobby bike. And I like wood bats too.

·
Registered
3,415 Posts

If you want an innovative Sportster Eric Buell has a bike for you.

A new XB1200 Lightning is what the XLCR should have turned into. Stick a peanut tank, cobra seat and some black megaphone high pipes on it and you're good to go.

I'd be first in line to buy one of those.

·
Registered
771 Posts
My understanding is that cloisone' was invented in China, I may be wrong, to lazy to Google, and the Boss is around the corner.

Mainly, I'm feed up with press releases that tout BNG, or lowered seating option, as legitimate refinements to a line of bikes.

·
MODERATOR X
5,449 Posts

Yes, I meant the XR1000.

·
The Toad
17,461 Posts
I'm still trying to figure out why it is wrong for a company to "pander to its demographic". In fact I can't think of a company that has stayed in business that doesn't "pander to its demographic".

Mayber he should suggest to his boss that the company he works for should stop "pandering to its demographic". Can you spell "Public Assisstance"?

·
Registered
334 Posts
Re: Uh, could the

Uh, actually no, I wasn't. Well, OK, I kinda was. But it's pretty easy to deduce who The Motor Company is targeting with the "L" bike. Whether they'd actually cop to it at the risk of alienating their "John Burns-sized" male customers would be a dubious maneuver, but let's face it, the ridehers love them Sportys and these mods were obviously aimed at accomodating the fairer sex.

·
Super Duper Mod Man
10,479 Posts

Why aren't they putting the new Buell motor in the Sporties? Doesn't make a lot of sense to have the different motor designs, when the Buell has a motor that can run a bit.

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
It's wrong for the same reason that it's wrong for Harley to engage in any sort of marketing activity (hence the squidly remarks to the effect of "it's all marketing" "you're just buying their marketing message"), while it's okay for other companies to do so.

Most of these squids think that new bikes just make, box, and ship themselves directly from Japan to showrooms in the U.S. They think that some random engineer overseas comes up with an idea to make a bike and just does it without any input from marketing or product development people in the U.S. I think they would be shocked and appalled to learn that the Japanese companies engage in exactly the same type of activities as Harley does, just aimed at a different group of buyers.

I wouldn't want to shatter their world, however, so I'll shut up now.

·
Registered
771 Posts
I know quite a few HD riders that lowered their bikes. One girl had the bike so low that I could walk over it. It is a simple alteration to make, and one that doesn't deserve a press release. As was said elsewhere, no one leaves a Harley stock.

If HD brought out the Sporty line with adjustable seat position (up, down, foward, back etc), that would qualify as a legit improvement.

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
So what? It's a new product feature with real, usable benefits to the customer. I see no reason why this is any less deserving of a press release than the marginal, completely unusable improvements to sportbikes every year, all of which can be made by the end consumer to last year's bike.

·
The Toad
17,461 Posts
I had to chuckle at the use of the word "pandering". As if the decision to buy a Harley or not is a moral question.

Buying an Aprilia Tuono and then putting every bit of performance gear and mod you can on it. Now THAT'S immorality.

Don't we just love it?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Many of the comments about Harley engineering-prowness posted here are well-deserved. What many people do not seem to realize though, is that Harley, has in the last few years, invested many millions, into growing the 'sport', especially for women. Look at their Riders Edge Program, Buell Blast, and now the 'gentler Sportsters', including the 2005 Low Version, with two year warranty's. I believe this is a good thing. So next time You see a Hot Biker-Babe, riding a Harley, and You like the 'View', thank Harley, as they have paid for it! And if You ever get the chance, to speak to that Hottie, I bet You that She doesn't care much, if Your bike is Faster, or more Sophisticated than Hers! And I do not believe that anyone who posts here, would be so stupid, as to even mention those facts! LOL!

41 - 60 of 127 Posts