Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Corporate sincerity? What happened to those people with cam bearings that are knocking , who bring their bikes to a dealer only to be told that Harley Davidson will not do anything untill they fail completely?

I call that corporate arrogance.

Corporate sincerity and ethics, what a joke!

·
The Toad
17,458 Posts
".....and there was much wailing and gnashing of teeth. And the atrociteurs put on sackcloth and ashes and were not comforted."

"And the Lord said, 'Bringeth out mine Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch that I may blow my atrociteur competition to bits, in my mercy.' "

Where is our favorite cookiecutteur these days? It's too early to be trailering to Jacksonville.

·
The Toad
17,458 Posts
What happened to all those people with those Honda VF700s who went into their dealers with blown transmissions only to be told, "Too bad, you're warranty period is up"?

What happened to all those people with those Suzuki GS1000s who went into their dealers with burned stators only to be told, "Too bad, you're warranty period is up"?

What happened to all those people with those Suzuki TL1000s who went into their dealers with broken frames only to be told, "Too bad, you're warranty period is up"?

What happened to all those people with those Honda Goldwings who went into their dealers with burned alternatrs only to be told, "Too bad, you're warranty period is up"?

What happened to all those people with those Yamaha RD350s who went into their dealers with blown transmissions only to be told, "Too bad, you're warranty period is up"?

What happened to all those people with those Kawasaki W2SSes who went into their dealers with fried electrics only to be told, "Too bad, you're warranty period is up"?

And on and on and on and on.................

All manufacturers have engaged in such practices. Dozens and dozens of models have been sold by all manufacturers with serious problems that are never ever recalled. No one has a corner on corporate indifference.

·
Registered
10,903 Posts
Haven't you been told you're not allowed to find fault with Japanese manufacturers?

You sound like you speak from personal experience here. Let me know what bike you're planning to buy next and I'll be sure to stay away from that one! lol

·
Registered
40 Posts
I think should start using the DOT site to

report bad problems. If the TL1000s owner's

had filed reports with DOT, when the number

hits about 1% or 2% of the number of bikes sold, DOT looks into it and may issues a recall.

MCN, has been pushing this point for a few years now, if all the HD people with bad cam bearing had submitted a report, HD would be

force into a recall to correct the problem. Since it could argured that a engine locking up is an unsafe condition.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Harley Gets Second Place @ Willow Springs

Harley recently got another second place -- this time on the road race track, specifically the big track at Willow Springs.

Jody Hendley, on a Harley (Not a Buell) nailed second place in the BOTT Heavyweight race on January 19, behind a Suzuki, and ahead of Honda, Buell, Suzuki and Ducati. Just to prove this is not a fluke, he finished 3rd in the Formula Twins race that same day, and in case there is still doubt, he finished third in points for both classes for 2002.

Not bad for an obsolete, oil-spewing, parts throwing peice of crap!

Bob

·
Super Duper Mod Man
10,479 Posts
What exactly does a cam bearing knock sound like? How would I distinguish this noise from others the engine makes? I own a Harley and would certainly need to know how this sounds in case my cam bearings decide to make noise. How many people had this dreaded "cam bearing knock" and were turned away into the cold by the mean old Harley Corporation? What was the rate of failure from the cam bearings in the first place? Do you know?

·
Registered
10,903 Posts
Trailer story

I think I've got a good trailer story for you. Several years ago a friend and I rode to Palm Springs for a bike weekend. That's about 90 miles or so from where I live.

We were sitting in a bar having a beer when we ran into an old high school friend. We started talking and then asked him what day he rode out (he lived in Anaheim, about 75 miles from Palm Springs). He then looked at us and said he trailered it! We just stared at him for a minute and then started laughing. He looked embarrassed at that point and said see you guys later. We didn't see him again the rest of the weekend.

Maybe he had to polish up the trailer for the ride home.

·
Registered
162 Posts
What I wnat to know is: Who the hell did they ask these questions to? From the description in the article, it seems like they just randomly called people.

Wouldn't it make sense to ask: 1. Harley owners 2. Harley employees 3. Harley dealers (ie. people who might actually KNOW something about the company)

Admitedly, many of THESE people are brainwashed by the 'harley image' but it's a start.

Have you guys seen this commercial:

"If I'd done one thing different, I would'a got me that harley davidson".....kum-quat

kum-quat kum-quat.....ride on (snicker)

*Disclaimer: the snicker was mine and is not in the actual commercial, nor is it the property of the Harley Davidson Motor Company; but I'm currently trying to patent it*

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Wouldn't it make sense to ask: 1. Harley owners 2. Harley employees 3. Harley dealers (ie. people who might actually KNOW something about the company)

Admitedly, many of THESE people are brainwashed by the 'harley image' but it's a start"

I guess it would depend on what the purpose of the survey was. If they wanted to judge Harley's reputation among the general public, then this format would make perfect sense. If they wanted to judge their reputation among their current customer base, then your suggestion would be best.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Re: Harley Gets Second Place @ Willow Springs

Rules from willow springs for a middle weight or heavy weight BOTT:

B.O.T.T. Middleweight

a) 501cc to 750cc displacement air or water-cooled, two or four valve head 4-stroke twins.

b) 501cc to 905cc displacement air-cooled, two-valve head 4-stroke twins.

c) 501cc to 1200cc air-cooled pushrod 4-stroke twins.

3. B.O.T.T. Heavyweight

a) Heavyweight twins are 751cc to unlimited displacement 4-stroke.

Sounds like it was a air-cooled pushrod twins.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Harley-Davison, Inc. also posted their 17th straight year of record profits. While other big American companies (GM, Ford, GE, etc..) are sending their jobs out of the U.S. as quick as they can, HDI is expanding their facilities and hiring more Amercans. They know their customers, and meet or exceed expectations.

Sounds like a wonderful success story to me.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.