Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Far from an expert.

A lot of basic business stuff here. At least the parasitic unions made some concessions. Marketing demographics definitely are a factor but world wide market awareness makes more sense. I can definitely see the appeal. Personally I haven't seen the Harley I would spend my hard earned fiat currency on. But as we all know when it comes to motorcycles, cars, wine and women all you need to know is what you like. The appeal of modern motorcycling to me is the use of 21st. Century materials and technology combined with classic geometry and styling. I love Brembo brakes and modern tires. Like most CEO types Wendell needs to act like he knows what he's doing. Some people can be successful in spite of their ineptitude. There is nothing wrong with HD motorcycles. Let's hope the company keeps the that way.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Clunk

"When you shift gears, the transmission shafts change ratios and spin at different speeds than in the previous gear. When you shift up or down, the tranny input shaft must change it's rotational speed to match the output shaft before the gear dogs can slip into the holes in the near gear. That's what causes the clunk when you shift gears. When you rev the engine when downshifting, you cause the input shaft to spin faster before the dogs try to engage. When you have the speed right, it shifts without any clunk at all." ---bikincowboy .......circa 2012

My roadster clunks when initially dropping into first. I thought this a feature of a dry clutch. When shifting aggressively going into a corner every once and a while I get a little wheel hop. The next bike will have a wet clutch with slipper feature and ASC.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.