Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2,447 Posts
they're every bit as modern as anything else out there, a fact proven time and again by Japan Inc's relentless attempts to copy them right down to the tail light shape.
So how do you explain the enormous CA-CLUNK that sends a teeth-rattling bash through the bike and rider every time an HD is put in gear? Would that be "nostalgia?"

I heard a funny one up in NC on the topic. An "expert" was explaining how the Twin-Cam "B" model, with the balance shaft, had to be re-engineered after the initial release because the engine didn't vibrate enough to allow the shifter to work right.

You can't make this **** up....

·
Registered
2,447 Posts
The Clunk is on purpose because that's what their demographic wants. Do you really believe they couldn't figure out how to align a set of gears? Try popping your Honda into first when it's cold.

I agree it's stupid to engineer in "flaws" but that's what the nostalgia crowd wants and they pay good money to get it, the Japanese have done the same thing in their copy cat bikes. Go take a 2013 model Harley for a test drive then tell us what a piece of sh*t it is. Conversely if your basing your opinion on a Shovelhead or Evo, then take an similar model year Japanese bike for a spin and see how "modern" it feels.
I've ridden every model HD makes as current as 2012 (thank you Bike Week). Hell I sold them for a year at "The World's Largest Harley Dealership." I have no beef with them; they're good bikes, IF that's what you want. But please, let's not pretend they're something they aren't.

As for my Honda, it has the slickest, smoothest gearbox I've ever ridden, cold, warm, or hot. More than one reviewer has called it the one of best transmissions on the market today. You go ride a CB 1100 and get back to me. If you don't agree, I'll ship you a case of Anchor Steam or whatever other brew you like.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.