Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Knucklehead

I'm getting ready to buy my first Harley. Rode Goldwings most of my riding days. I want to do it right, thus the question about the best Harley engine in the last 15 years. I'm going to by used, low mileage for the first Harley. Just trying to get some input

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've been asking myself the same question. I have family and several friends that ride Harleys and I'm curious I guess. I'm just researching and want to make the best choice if I decide to go Harley.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Consideing what a wing offers, I'd say regardless of engine series, get the newest glectraglide you can find in your price range, if you think the tour pack and front farings are overrated and you could get by with a regular winshield, then the newest Road King in your range. I cant imagine having been used to a wing that you'll be happy with any of the other models.

·
Aging Cafe` Racer
8,719 Posts
the fuel injected 96 inch twin cam is the smoothest and probably the most reliable. The V-Rod has the most power...... it's hard to say because HD uses the same engines in all their bikes for the most part.

In the last 15 years the big twins have went from 80 inch Evolution engines to 88 inch Twin Cam to 96 inch Twin Cam and the V Rod engine, depends more on what style of bike you want more than what specific engine.

·
Registered
7,118 Posts
The XLCH 883. It's totally overbuilt, understressed, and as bullet proof an engine as anything with moving parts can be. I've seen one run without oil until it siezed. Once it was broken loose again, it was refilled with oil and put back on the street. That was in 2004, and it's still running today.

·
The Toad
17,461 Posts
in addition to the losing of more power then most bikes offer in the first place, great seats, huge farings, warranty. But I've never seen a Honda tattoo, not that they dont exist.... I'm just sayn
Obviously a lot of people don't care about the power that much. I understand that completely. Some days it's just fine to putt down the road at the speed limit and take in the view.

As far as maintenance goes, well, if anyone thinks HDs are any worse than, say, BMWs then they haven't much experience with either. You also have to factor in the long lifetime and resale of the HD over most everyone else.

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
IMHO, any H-D motor made in the past ten years should be reliable enough. Having said that, H-D has made some significant upgrades to their chassis in the past two years, which was long overdue. If you want something that can handle anywhere near as good as the Goldwing, I would look toward the new touring models -- 2009 and newer (I believe).

·
Registered
2 Posts
Opinions certainly vary but I find many (not all) Harleys carry with them good performance and great resale value. Personally I think they're the most beautiful bikes out there.
Good riding,
Doc

1 - 15 of 15 Posts