Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
"Harley-Davidson makes lousy motorcycles and great Harley-Davidsons," Schilling wrote. "And since they're in the Harley-Davidson business and not the motorcycle business that's exactly what they should be doing."

It's all been said in the article.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Funny, they seem to find about 300,000 buyers a year these days for their lousy motorcycles. Same crap, different source. Don't like it? Don't buy it. Someone else will. Maybe they DO have redeming qualities that some people don't understand or appreciate. You'll notice that more SUV's and Trucks are sold than ever before as well. Similar analogy from Sport Bike to Hog, more people like the Hog because of it's feel, and don't need a zillion horsepower, nor could they use it. Most people can't drag a knee or do a 4 wheel drift for that matter, and a Harley is all they need for a thrill after driving the Suburban/Gigantor/Humvee home. Would you rather that type of rider on a GSXR-1000? Me neither.

While I don't think the article means to sound that way, it's more sour grapes from someone who doesn't understand a Harley's attraction, and therefore can't grasp H-D's success. There's nothing uglier than jealousy.

·
Registered
3,415 Posts
The artical about Sonney Bargers book was more interesting than the Harley pipe artical. I guess I'll toss the first rock by saying they should outlaw "compettition only pipes" for bikes that obviousley aren't going to be racing.... "uh, yes officer, I race this Heritage softtail in the formula extreme class at Fontana".. puhleese! The only thing loud-ass pipes do besides make your bike run like shiit is ***** off everyone around thats not a Harley or "metric cruiser' fan,, Hell I've been around bikes all my life, I seriousley love motorcycles. But it's annoying as hell to hear some gutless turd blasting everyone's eardrums because he thinks "real motorcycles should be heard 5 miles away" ****in' get a clue, you don't need to make alot of noise to go fast, learn how to ride the god damn thing.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I could not agree more. The loud pipe crowd tend to be cut from the same piece of ****. You would think at some point the sound would be too much for the rider.

There is no question this is childish behavior based on "look at me". If they only knew that most people find them annoying and pathetic.

Last summer I qustioned a guy with open pipes on his very old POS Harley: Why so loud? "If you have to ask you won't get it." I laughed in his face and said, "I am sure you are right." And he was, I don't get it.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Don't have to pay anything

No, you just have to click through the advert for Salon Personals to get the free one day membership and see the article.

I would venture a guess that while "the majority of Americans [may] think loud Harley's sound badass," they also find them, and all other excessively loud motorcycles, extremely annoying.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I like the sound of a V-Twin engine, and HD factory pipes are really lame. But most of the aftermarket pipes I have heard are entirely too loud. They will, eventually, cause the Motorcycle world a lot of problems.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
OK, I bit. Here's my 2 cents. I think Harleys are quaint motorbikes and if they weren't Harley Davidsons a few people would still own one. Why they're so popular - I don't know?

Why I own one is because they are quaint, easy to ride, rumble wonderfully down the highway - not serious bikes, just fun. The posers with their uniforms and loud pipes take their HDs way too seriously. Them, I don't get.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Hear, hear! I own a Harley, but to me, it's a motorcycle, not a religion, as it seems to be for way too many people (but I guess you and I are in the minority, TC). It's old-fashioned, and that's part of what makes it fun to ride. And it's relaxing. On a sport bike, I'm often frustrated that traffic or prudence won't let me go faster (hmm, I'll have to have a talk with Prudence). On the HD, who cares? It feels faster than it is, anyway.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Exactly, Tigercub. I'm a Harley owner, not a "Harley Guy" - no retail fraternal uniform made in China, no midlife tatoo crisis, no compulsive 4 hour cleaning ritual after a 5 mile ride between the taverns. . . . gimme the open road, I'll wash it when I'm damn good & ready, and I ride sober, thank you. I like them as an authentic POMH (motorcycle history), an antique with a warranty, just for fun . . . . . and the sound . . . the sweet cadence of a twin a mile or two off down old County B . . . just before sunset as I sip a Knob Creek on the deck . . . right up there with a distant train whistle or a dog barking in the distance . . . . . . one of the sounds of our ancestral homeland, like it or not. My other bike is an Aprilia Tuono R, also just for fun. Equal miles, and lots of 'em. The moral of the story: There are many, many different kinds of fun in the smorgasbord of life, and lucky is the man with a heart and mind that's open to all of them. But then again, as my friend Mulch sez: "I don't do Chub"

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Agree -- my Duc is probably as loud as any Harley out on the street -- on the other hand, I seldom ride it in any populated areas, and when I do, I am very careful with the throttle.

I like the sound of loud pipes personally (at least within reason), but not when I am trying to sleep, listen to music or carry on a conversation (of course, when my wife is nagging me, a loud bike just outside is a welcome relief!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.