Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
The Toad
17,449 Posts
When you hear the old "HD is crap" mantra you're usually dealing with someone who hasn't yet realized that HD broke away from AMF some twenty years ago. Or you're just dealing with someone whose agenda requires a large dose of misrepresentation.

The one nice thing about HDs is that when you feel the engine does need to be rebuilt, you can do it quite cheaply compared to most any Japanese bike. My last HD rebuild was an 81 shovelhead. I did most of the work myself and the total ticket came in under $500 bucks. At one time I checked out the cost of rebuilding my old Honda 900C. The parts cost alone for the top end was about $1000. Throwaway city.

As longride said above. The Japanese virtually never recall a motorcycle unless forced to. Like Microsoft, the public is their beta-tester....

·
The Toad
17,449 Posts
Re: Time for Harley to invest in the next generation

Price/performance.

A. You spend $6000 on an HD and it performs for you for twenty years. You trade it. Trade in for a twenty year old HD FX is about $6600 which is more than the original bike.

$6600-$6000/20 years = $30 appreciation/year.

B. You spend $9500 on a GSXR750 and you have to replace it two years later because it no longer "performs" compared to the new ones. Figure the ruinous depreciation of sportbikes. Trade-in is $5350

$9500-$5350/2 years = $2075 depreciation/year.

Another viewpoint on "cost/performance". It's all in the way you view "performance".

·
The Toad
17,449 Posts
Agreed. Currently my main ride is a Suzie GSX1100G, perfect for my 42 mile each way commute. The 600lb weight is great because of the frequent lateral canyon winds we experience. I intend to get an old ironhead sporster to build as a streetfighter as my next project bike. So I'm not a Harley partisan, I like most bikes. The "Jap is crap" attitude of that small segment is stomach turning.

I don't think that HD can legally do anything about the overcharging. Dodge experienced the same thing with the PT cruiser and Ford is experiencing dealer gouging with the new Thunderbirds. Federal Anti-Trust laws forbid manufacturer price fixing. Supply/demand sets the price and rest assued the Japanese are charging all that the market will bear. HD claims that they didn't want to build too much new production facility because they didn't want to have to layoff workers when the market turns down. In a few years you'll probably find the overcharging has run its course. It's dangerous to predict, but I don't think that the used HD market will remain so high for much longer. Especially since the recent Stock Market woes have hit so many middle-aged baby boomers.

·
The Toad
17,449 Posts
Re: Time for Harley to invest in the next generation

Take your own advice, longride. Ignore this prick. Plenty of GenXers like Harleys. When I rode my 81 FXEF to family parties my nieces would always beg rides. Now that I'm riding a GSX1100 none of them care.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.