Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Super Duper Mod Man
10,479 Posts
Re: Time for Harley to invest in the next generation

If you take "recall history" as an indicator of quality of products then you are sadly misled. The big four NEVER recall something unless they are forced to by some safety agency. Otherwise the new GoldWing would be recalled for an overheating problem that is constant, the Hayabusa would be recalled for the rear subframe breaking and starter clutch problems. The Hayabusa web site even has a petition for a recall on the subframe. I could name many more but I think I made my point. Harley at least owns up to a problem and fixes it. I would rather a company recall and fix something than act like it doesn't exist. The quality of a current Harley product isn't determined by recalls.

·
Super Duper Mod Man
10,479 Posts

This just in. Harley will never cater to the "squid crowd". Too fickle and Darwinsim dwindles the pack down to the ones that will buy Harleys when they grow up and don't squish themselves into a bloody mess. Needing 100 horsepower to have fun is nice, and I bet there are other mfgs. that produce bikes that make more than that and cheaper too. If Harely comes up 5 hp short and $1000.00 more, you won't buy it anyway. Price/performance ratio and all that. By the way, having record earnings in a faultering economy needs no "excuses". The only thing I wish is that Harley would fall back out of fashion so I could add a few more to my collection cheap. Feel free to buy another Ninja in the meantime.

·
Super Duper Mod Man
10,479 Posts
Your right. They could waste millions of dollars on a winning superbike and have nothing to show for it but a trophy. That would be the best idea for them. I wonder if you would do the same?

·
Super Duper Mod Man
10,479 Posts

Somehow you missed the point badly. Yes there are numerous complaints about Goldwings running hot and overheating. Glad yours isn't one. I had a 97 TL also. Yes they should have had many recalls, but only 2 were done. tank slapping and the gas tank gasket. Recalls are at least a mfgs. willingness to put things right. I never said it was "better" per se, but having owned many Japanese marques that REFUSED to admit a fault I would say it's "better" in some respects. Agree? About the TwinCam bearing problem. Harley didn't have the engine numbers for the ones that had the bad batch of bearings. So they will make good on any that go bad for the lifetime of the engine. How will I feel about getting a total engine rebuild at maybe 50,000 miles for free? Pretty good I would suspect. If I was on a long trip? Well there is no guarantee your bike will make it either.

·
Super Duper Mod Man
10,479 Posts

I haven't "degenerated" anyone or any bike. Please copy and paste a post where I did so and there was not an attack first. I like most bikes just fine. I own 2 Harleys, one Honda and one Kawasaki. Does that make you feel better? I also don't trash one at the expense of the other. Sportbikes are fine. I own one. A 2000 ZX9 Kaw. It's good for what it does. It isn't the "be all end all". Can we agree on that? By the way I never spoke for you ever. Where did you get the idea that I did? I never remember mentioning your name in any post I ever made. If I am mistaken then I am truly sorry.

·
Super Duper Mod Man
10,479 Posts

Yawn, TwinCam is old news and since you didn't get what Harley did and why then I guess you can believe what you want. I own an FL, and the alignment is easily checkable and serviceable by anyone. Do you own one? Why would MCN need to "publish" these things when they are in the service manual? Maybe the guy that crashed didn't know how to ride. Is that a possibility? Since they sell about 5 times as many bikes as BMW, would they tend to get more complaints? Harleys need riders, not owners. If you can't or are unwilling to check and service your bike or have it done correctly then Honda is the one for you. Appliance like reliability and lifespan.

·
Super Duper Mod Man
10,479 Posts

"I am not asking for Harley to make Squid/replica racer bikes. "

Good because they never will.

"Frankly, right now I would use $10,000 and buy a Honda Interceptor with bags and ABS."

I think that is really what you should buy.

"Hey that must mean there are still plenty of affulent boomers who haven't bought a Harley yet. That's all period."

Exactly the market they target right?

"Unless Harley moves agressively to market to the 20-35 crowd in 10 years Harley with have a squandered an opportunity."

In 10 years won't they be the 30 to 45 year old group? New boomers without a Harley? See how that works?? LOL

"If Buell put out a family (Sport, Naked, Touring) of 100 hp bikes for $8000-10000 with an engine like the TL1000, they would be dominating the 20-35 age group market."

Sales show the TL1000 sold like crap. Isn't even made anymore I believe. Some "market domination" eh?

·
Super Duper Mod Man
10,479 Posts

Didn't all those same mags have "glowing praise" for the 97 TL1000 too? It was "Bike of the Year" in more than one. I wonder how a shadetree mechanic like me has my FL in perfect alignment. And since it just passed 15,000 miles I guess the oil leaks and melting should have started already. Articles and people are quite often wrong, and I take them with a grain of salt. I am in touch with many, many Harley owners and dealers, so I know what they are. Since I am on many Wing boards still because I owned a 96, I know what the owners are complaining about.

·
Super Duper Mod Man
10,479 Posts

Since I own, ride, and service Harleys and other makes for about 25 years, know hundreds of riders, and stay in touch with honest dealers, I would be aware of any current problem long before you would. How many have you owned? I own an 01 FL, the exact model you are talking about. Please don't tell me it is "borderline unsafe", because you don't know what you are talking about frankly. When I bought my new Harley I got about 5 customer forms at different times to fill out as to the quality, price, dealer, looks, condition, etc. Five of em. That would mean that Harley is very interested in everything about the bike and buying experience. I got none from Suzuki, none from Honda, none from Kawasaki. Not interested. As for being aware, I owned a 97 TL1000 that had clutch slipping problems from the factory, tank-slapping, frame breakage, leaky gas tanks(twice), and bucked like a bronco until I put a $250 power commander on it. That was the "Bike of the Year" in many magazines. I had a 1980 AMF Sportster that had more reliability. So tell me again who has who fooled?

·
Super Duper Mod Man
10,479 Posts
Re: longride has turned into the KPaulCook of Old!

First: I was one of the ones that changes KPaul so now you can enjoy his posts! I am not trying to change anyone's mind, just posting as I like. Is that still legal?

Second: I put "perspective" in all the makes and just let people know there is another point of view. If you don't like that, it doesn't bother me, and I wil post anyway.

Third: Yep, I have neer said any "type" of bike was better than another. Where have I posted such?

Fourth: It's a waste of money for a company to race what they don't produce. Harley doesn't make a sportbike so why race one? Whick of the big four race flattrack? None. Why? Waste of money for them. Oh, by the way, motorcycle racing has nothing to do with health care, flying to the moon, or computers. Thanks for your interest.

·
Super Duper Mod Man
10,479 Posts
Re: longride has turned into the KPaulCook of Old!

I'm only going to reply to you with a few thoughts for you to ponder. I will post when and where and anytime I like. I am to the point and on topic here and elsewhere. Your backhanded attitude is dangerously close to getting a "funner" response from me. Obviously, you have the problem, since I believe it's been a long time since I ever responded to anything you ever said. Maybe your jealous and wish you could actually add something to a topic. If you don't like reading my posts please skip them by. If you would like to make another personal attack, you will get the same in kind.

·
Super Duper Mod Man
10,479 Posts
Re: Flattracking

I'll answer this because you actually had something to say, even though you are wrong on every count. The Honda factory does not race, Nicky Hayden does. He rides a Harley on the miles and a Honda on the shorttracks. I go watch him at Peoria, Springfield, and DuQuion. See, I don't need a link to see his bike because I have been 3 feet from it many times. The reason Harley races dirttrack would be that they already have a bike that is developed and has been for, oh 30 some years now? It was originally Sportster based, and yes the bike they make is the Sportster. Check the 883 Flattrack edition they make. Would you like a link to the Harley-Davidson page? There is also a Sportster 883 class that I bet you never heard of. Need a link to the AMA page also? So lets sum it up again. Fact. Big four don't race flattrack. Fact. Harley does and makes a bike like it, and has a specific class dedicated to racing a Sportster 883. So, what I said again is somehow true and you again are totally wrong. So, maybe worrying about how wrong I am, and my suffering work, you should actually know something of which you post.

·
Super Duper Mod Man
10,479 Posts
Lighter note!

Hey did your clutch slip on the TL? Mine slipped horribly on full throttle over 7000 rpm. I was wondering how common that problem was, as the dealer I went to said he had that complaint all the time, but when i called Suzuki to complain, they said it was isolated and not a common problem. Have any input on it? By the way I really did like that damn TL with all it faults. And yes, sadly my frame broke twice!

·
Super Duper Mod Man
10,479 Posts

I do come off a bit negative on the sport crowd. Maybe it's me reaction to all their *****ing every time a review is made that isn't a sport bike. Have you noticed that trend? I certainly don't have all the answers to anything. My Uncle had a good saying to fit this: " I don't know a damn thing about lots of stuff, but don't try to tell me about cars!". He was a career gearhead and racer since he could walk. He knew much and called anyone out that didn't know but talked like they did. There are certain things I know from riding, and racing for 35 years and owning and riding hunderds of bikes in that time. I do call "bull$shyt" on people alot, and maybe too much. Maybe I should let the misinformation, half-truths, and outright lies just pass by. Yes I do come off heavy handed at times, and I realize that. Believe it or not I am trying to be nice! LOL One thing I do not do is make personal attacks. The one you posted was to KPaul and well if you don't know that history....

Personal attacks I will never do unless provoked. Cheers to you too.

·
Super Duper Mod Man
10,479 Posts

Firrst of all there are plenty of complaints about the new GoldWing. Maybe you are blind to them but I am not. They have complained about lousy fit and finish, bolts rusting already, paint fading, overheating, horrible sound system, a $1000 dollar CD player that is a POS, and of course there were already 2 recalls you seem to forget. I can send em to you personally if you like. Well, Harley could have acted like Honda did with the GoldWing 1200 stator problem and just let em burn up and never say a word right? I mean they figure those GoldWing owners were not very smart anyway and why say anything when these dupes wont? If Harley really didn't worry about fixing it why say or admit anything? Just play stupid like Honda does! At least they admitted fault and will make things right. Like I said, I don't need to go into each marques problems, of which there are many. I see you used all the cliches in your post also. very good and that scores points. My definition of a "sucker" would be someone that buys a motorcycle for 20 grand and gets 10 for it 3 years later.

·
Super Duper Mod Man
10,479 Posts

First, everyone has bias. Second, I never said they misreported anything. Third, I said "I own ride and service Harley and other makes". Funny how you left the end off to fit your own agenda. Since you obvioulsly can't read correctly the rest doesn't need a response. That is what happens when you are wrong and run with it. To compare a new Harley to a Olds is just stupid, as was your whole point. Sorry, but it is. Feel bad Honda doesn't give a shyt about you? I guess I hit a nerve on that one. Yep, servicing Harleys can be good because they aren't filling up the junkyards like the old Wings. Yours will hit the yard LONG before my junk FL will. Funny how that works eh? How about ya just put 2 doors on yours and call it a Civic!

·
Super Duper Mod Man
10,479 Posts
Re: Flattracking

Maybe you have a comprehension problem. I stated the FACT that the big four do not race in flattrack. You countered that Honda did. Then said you didn't know what you were talking about. On that point we can agree totally. So you posted to make no point? Your point was you were trying in vain to make me look wrong, and after being thrashed with facts, somehow proceed to tell me how you have flattracking and blah, blah, blah. I already told you what model HD makes as a flattrack replica. I'm sure you can find it. So, again you were wrong when you said they didn't make a model like that. If you want me to stay off your case, stick to moon shots, health care, and computers. You obviously know very little about motorcycles.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.