Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
2,752 Posts
Time for Harley to invest in the next generation

As a Harley stock holder I am happy. However, as motorcyclist I say ....OK no more excuses invest money an engine for Mr Buell. How about a nice light (read no vrod engine) 90 degree V-Twin liquid cooled that puts out 100 horses or better and that can propel the Bolt and Lighting to Sub 11 second quarter miles. Give Buell an engine and watch sales to 20-40 year olds take off. Please Harley invest in the next generation. VRod was a good start and the Firebolt is almost there.

·
Banned
2,752 Posts
Re: Time for Harley to invest in the next generation

I am not asking for Harley to make Squid/replica racer bikes. In fact the reason I picked the ZX-6R over the others was comfront. I would love to buy an American sport bike. I hesitate to use the word sport maybe high performance is better, with a competitive engine. Buell has some great ideas on what makes an enjoyable bike. I don't think it would take $1000.00 more to get there. Heck Buells are overpriced now $10,000 for something that has performance less than a 600. Frankly, right now I would use $10,000 and buy a Honda Interceptor with bags and ABS.

As far as having record sales and earinings in a faultering economny no execuses thing. Hey that must mean there are still plenty of affulent boomers who haven't bought a Harley yet. That's all period. I'll bet the age of the new Harley as actually risen not dropped. Unless Harley moves agressively to market to the 20-35 crowd in 10 years Harley with have a squandered an opportunity. If Buell put out a family (Sport, Naked, Touring) of 100 hp bikes for $8000-10000 with an engine like the TL1000, they would be dominating the 20-35 age group market. In other words all they need is a better engine for the new Firebolt, Lighting, and the soon to be announced Touring model (lower pegs and hard bags) A 3 year warrranty would be great too.

·
Banned
2,752 Posts
Do you really want to spend your hard earned cash on a Sportster when you could have a superior product like the Honda Shadow or V-Star or Vulcan or ....????

I road the Sportser and then a Shadow. Shadow was superior in every way.

·
Banned
2,752 Posts
Which Harley does 11 sec 1/4 miles? I am just curious cause my MOtorcylist doesn't list any.

Good point about the dealers. Hey that is how the free market works right. Hope you are right about Buell. There is a lot of pinned up demand for an American Sportbike and the Bolt is close but not there yet.

·
Banned
2,752 Posts
Re: Time for Harley to invest in the next generation

My counterpoints. [*]. In 10 years current 20-35 years will not automatically buy cruisers like some mindless salmon that has to spawn . [*]The TL1000 engine was great, marketing sucked, the bikes suspension rear shock sucked.[*] Ducati 90 degree liquid cooled twins seem to sell OK Like Bill Clinton would say "Its the economy er engine stupid. "

[*]It's persumptious to assume that Harley will inherent a market when they become middle aged

·
Banned
2,752 Posts
Excellent post. Good point about Harley has kept motorcycling alive in the U.S. By using their super marketing skills they made motorcycles fashionable. I agree on the racing thing. It would generate enthusiasm and there is a pinned up demand for an American sportbike. Who knows it might turn a lot kids on to motorcycling.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.