Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Re: Time for Harley to invest in the next generation

KTM is producing a fantastic V-Twin engine that makes power like the Japanese bikes but weighs much less. Harley's resources are far greater so they really should be able to do the same, if so inclined. As an aside, it's a shame that their financial windfall is not being used to improve quality. Before anyone gets mad at this blanket statement, Motorcycleconsumernews published a list this month of all the manufacturers, their recall history over the last few years and came up with a quality index. Lo and behold, who was bottom, even worse than Buell?.....

·
Registered
254 Posts

As the owner of a 2002 Goldwing, please inform me as to my bike's constant overheating problem. Funny, me and four other owners have had no problems, even riding loaded in 110 degree heat. There were a few cases in the first model year bike, but first year anything should be avoided. However, if you think Harley is such a sweet heart, then why do they refuse to recall a lot of the twin cam motors for defective cam bearings, telling the owners to ride them until they break. Then they will be fixed. This happened to motorcycleconsumernews ( I quote them a lot as they are the only publication that does not accept advertising, hence they should be more legitimate than anything else out there), when the cam bearings on their twin cam failed. How would that make you feel? Say on a long trip, waiting for the engine to grenade? As for Suzuki, well I'm with you buddy! My Tl1000s (which is great fun to ride now that I sorted everything) was a joke, with everything failing from computers, suspension, gas tanks, frame snapping....Amazingly no recalls on the frame snapping, even though I know of numerous cases where this has happened.

Using a recall list as an indication of a marque's quality may not be the be all and end all, but it sure gives one a good idea as to the general state of things. Saying that having more recalls is a good thing is a beautiful spin that any politician would be proud of!

·
Registered
254 Posts

My money is on the Goldwing! Both Rider and MCN recently completed long-term, 36000 mile tests on them with glowing praise. Cycle World in the past 6 months just completed a long term test on the Dynaglide Convertible (I think), well, long term is a bit of a stretch seeing that they may have just passed 10,000 miles. They had the usual stuff from the new, improved Harley, oil leaks, electrical failures and the instrument panel MELTING!

As for the alignment problem that a reader mentioned, part of the problem was that there was not a SINGLE Harley dealership that could make the bikes ride straight. So either they are unaware of instructions in the owners' manuals (highly unlikely) or there is a problem. Instead of discounting the article in MCN, try reading it first .

·
Registered
254 Posts

The glowing praise for the Goldwing was after a 36000 mile report, from both magazines, not after a single bike test. The 1800 is world's different from the 1500 like your '96, and I'm on many Wing boards too. People are literally orgasmic over the 1800, what are the complaints? Too much power, too reliable, handles too well, too comfortable? As for Harley being so great and not recalling the bikes for the cam bearing problem, well let's see how their thought process went.... "Well, if we recall all the bikes that we should it's going to cost us a pile, so how about we say we do not have records of all the bikes involved. Then we say we will fix it if it breaks. We know most people ride Harleys a couple hundred miles a month, to insure resale value, so the likelyhood of them seeing a failure is remote. Maybe the fourth or fifth owner will see it after it has passed 20,000 miles. By then they may have forgotten it's a warranty issue as it's a used bike..." So they look like good guys because they say they'll fix it if/when it breaks (just hope it doesn't go out on ya in Death Valley), the great unwashed who's idea of a ride is a 20 minute joint down to the local cantina is oblivious, and those on who it does fail are appeased somewhat because even though they were left on the side of the road, their bike was eventually fixed. Suckers.

·
Registered
254 Posts

Er, you have been fooled. Again, Motorcycle Consumer News does not accept any advertising. They do not have anything to gain by misreporting their findings. They have no bias. You, on the other hand, own, ride and service Harleys. That's your business, so who would I believe? And as for filling out five forms meaning it's good.... Look, I got a 77 Oldsmobile 98 that I want to sell you. Seriously it's great, and to prove it I want you to fill out 5 forms telling me all about it...

Good to know you service Harley, at least your choice of brand guarantees plenty of business!

And hey, get off my TL1000 frame snapping bandwagon, I mentioned that first!

·
Registered
254 Posts

Doooood! C'mon! You know 95% of all Harleys made are still on the road. Yep, the other 5% made it home....

Yup, Honda does not gice a shyt about me, that's why they were so mean as to give me 105 rwhp, 109 rw torque, brakes that brake, a chassis that handles, suspension that, er, suspends and unbeatable comfort and reliability. Hold on, you're right I would prefer 5 forms and a slow, poor handling unreliable bike for, oops, $5K more!

Don't forget your tie-downs!

·
Registered
254 Posts
Re: Lighter note!

Suzuki were the worst people I have ever dealt with. Yup, mine slipped too at that point. Originally I put stiffer clutch springs in from a CBX, which helped a bit. Then, I found out from a buddy that if you complained enough, there was a new clutch pack fix that you would get, and I did. But of course they said mine was the only one that did that... My rear suspension damper failed (leaked) at 5000 miles. I asked for a warranty replacement. They refused saying it was a wear and tear item and that that I could have a new one for $1100! When I mentioned that how many Suzukis did they think they would sell if customers were aware that the life-expectancy was 5000 miles, they hung up on me! Of course I just got on the internet and bought an Ohlins for $550 direct from the European distributor and that transformed the bike. Now that I have fixed all the junk on the Tl, I really love riding it and until Aprilia comes out with a bike that outperrforms it (motor-wise), i'll be holding on to it. Oh, and they claim that they never heard of the frame breaking either.... I actually contacted the DMV regarding this but they did not want to know.

·
Registered
254 Posts

2 recalls in the 2001 model year, none thereafter. Which is why I bought a 2002. And yet the 36000 mile tests that received massive praise were on 2001 bikes. I find it highly amusing that you mention purchase price, especially when you are dealing with Harleys. They defined the term "Vaseline Tax". And I thought we were talking about reliability of current bikes. Stepping back 18 years to pick a bike is mighty risky. Can you imagine what I could do if I started picking out older Harleys?! Funny you should mention the 1200, yes mine did need a stator replaced, but after 115, 000 miles. And it didn't fail me on the side of the road, I just noticed that the charging was getting weaker. It took a day for me and a friend to replace that. But one failure in 115000 miles is not too shappy, on an 18 year old bike.

Ok, I'll leave you with the last word because I'm bored with this now so enjoy, just be gentle! Oh and ignore all those broken down Harleys that I always see on the side of the freeway every weekend here in California...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.