Motorcycle Forums banner
41 - 60 of 73 Posts

· Registered
254 Posts
Re: Time for Harley to invest in the next generation

The glowing praise for the Goldwing was after a 36000 mile report, from both magazines, not after a single bike test. The 1800 is world's different from the 1500 like your '96, and I'm on many Wing boards too. People are literally orgasmic over the 1800, what are the complaints? Too much power, too reliable, handles too well, too comfortable? As for Harley being so great and not recalling the bikes for the cam bearing problem, well let's see how their thought process went.... "Well, if we recall all the bikes that we should it's going to cost us a pile, so how about we say we do not have records of all the bikes involved. Then we say we will fix it if it breaks. We know most people ride Harleys a couple hundred miles a month, to insure resale value, so the likelyhood of them seeing a failure is remote. Maybe the fourth or fifth owner will see it after it has passed 20,000 miles. By then they may have forgotten it's a warranty issue as it's a used bike..." So they look like good guys because they say they'll fix it if/when it breaks (just hope it doesn't go out on ya in Death Valley), the great unwashed who's idea of a ride is a 20 minute joint down to the local cantina is oblivious, and those on who it does fail are appeased somewhat because even though they were left on the side of the road, their bike was eventually fixed. Suckers.

· Registered
254 Posts

Er, you have been fooled. Again, Motorcycle Consumer News does not accept any advertising. They do not have anything to gain by misreporting their findings. They have no bias. You, on the other hand, own, ride and service Harleys. That's your business, so who would I believe? And as for filling out five forms meaning it's good.... Look, I got a 77 Oldsmobile 98 that I want to sell you. Seriously it's great, and to prove it I want you to fill out 5 forms telling me all about it...

Good to know you service Harley, at least your choice of brand guarantees plenty of business!

And hey, get off my TL1000 frame snapping bandwagon, I mentioned that first!

· The Toad
17,449 Posts
Agreed. Currently my main ride is a Suzie GSX1100G, perfect for my 42 mile each way commute. The 600lb weight is great because of the frequent lateral canyon winds we experience. I intend to get an old ironhead sporster to build as a streetfighter as my next project bike. So I'm not a Harley partisan, I like most bikes. The "Jap is crap" attitude of that small segment is stomach turning.

I don't think that HD can legally do anything about the overcharging. Dodge experienced the same thing with the PT cruiser and Ford is experiencing dealer gouging with the new Thunderbirds. Federal Anti-Trust laws forbid manufacturer price fixing. Supply/demand sets the price and rest assued the Japanese are charging all that the market will bear. HD claims that they didn't want to build too much new production facility because they didn't want to have to layoff workers when the market turns down. In a few years you'll probably find the overcharging has run its course. It's dangerous to predict, but I don't think that the used HD market will remain so high for much longer. Especially since the recent Stock Market woes have hit so many middle-aged baby boomers.

· Banned
2,752 Posts
Excellent post. Good point about Harley has kept motorcycling alive in the U.S. By using their super marketing skills they made motorcycles fashionable. I agree on the racing thing. It would generate enthusiasm and there is a pinned up demand for an American sportbike. Who knows it might turn a lot kids on to motorcycling.

· Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
Re: longride has turned into the KPaulCook of Old!

longride, you just didn't get it. Keep posting away, it's your reputation, in a sort of anonymous way. I don't mind your POV, I just tire of reading a "cruiser KPC". Post till you're blue in the fingers.

I never said you said any type of bike is better than another, and as you have written, "where have I posted such?" (although you must admit you've alluded that many are worse than others, or inferior to others, I won't waste my time pointing it out to you if you can't see it).

As for my fourth point, I see you agree with me, I didn't say racing wasn't a waste of money for Harley, as you're so fond of saying, "where have I posted such?" In fact, I said they'd never win, so it would be a waste of money for them! I mereley said racing in general wasn't a waste of money, and you assumed I meant that Harley should race.

I know you'll have to respond, because you can't let anything go, I think of all the time you must be wasting replying to nearly every post, and I hope your work doesn't suffer.

luvmyvfr

· The Toad
17,449 Posts

Take your own advice, longride. Ignore this prick. Plenty of GenXers like Harleys. When I rode my 81 FXEF to family parties my nieces would always beg rides. Now that I'm riding a GSX1100 none of them care.

· Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
Flattracking

I nearly forgot! "Whick of the big four race flattrack?" Why, Honda of course! They've made a RS600 flattrack motor, and Nicky Hayden has won several flattrack races in fact, when he isn't riding his faster bikes. (for a pic of his bike see http://home.sprynet.com/~ttewksbury/hayden.jpg) Now, I don't know if it's a Honda sponsered team (HRC or a dealership) that he's racing for, or if he does it for fun. Does HD make a "dirttracker" that they should race one? I've been in HD stores, and never did find a dirttracker. It was my impression that you bought a motorcycle and modified it for flattrack, so along your lines of thought, even though HD does have a sponsered team, if they race it, why don't they build it?

luvmyvfr

· Registered
3,415 Posts

Welllllll,, if your racing your motorcycle,you might launch yourself towards the moon, then you'll surley require health care to become un-squished, then you can tell your fellow MO-ites about it on your computer,,,, Happy now?

· Registered
173 Posts

The word is "denigrated" - look it up.

Here is an example pasted for you:

"This just in. Harley will never cater to the "squid crowd". Too fickle and Darwinsim dwindles the pack down to the ones that will buy Harleys when they grow up and don't squish themselves into a bloody mess."

· Registered
173 Posts

Longride, no offense intended by my earlier posts - but I am going on record as saying you do indeed make negative, one-sided statements belittling sport riders. It also seems you think you have all the answers and the rest of us are either ignorant, stupid or just completely wrong. You've enlightened me with many of your sensible posts. I'd like to think you also have an open mind.

Cheers

· Registered
85 Posts
Well, it's not quite that easy.

You also (usually) have to wait. And wait. And wait. Especially if you want one model just a certain way and aren't willing to take the first thing that's offered due to a cancellation or financing problem.

You'll be doing even more waiting than usual if you want an '03 at MSRP unless you already put a deposit down a long time ago.

· Super Duper Mod Man
10,479 Posts

I'm only going to reply to you with a few thoughts for you to ponder. I will post when and where and anytime I like. I am to the point and on topic here and elsewhere. Your backhanded attitude is dangerously close to getting a "funner" response from me. Obviously, you have the problem, since I believe it's been a long time since I ever responded to anything you ever said. Maybe your jealous and wish you could actually add something to a topic. If you don't like reading my posts please skip them by. If you would like to make another personal attack, you will get the same in kind.

· Super Duper Mod Man
10,479 Posts
Re: Flattracking

I'll answer this because you actually had something to say, even though you are wrong on every count. The Honda factory does not race, Nicky Hayden does. He rides a Harley on the miles and a Honda on the shorttracks. I go watch him at Peoria, Springfield, and DuQuion. See, I don't need a link to see his bike because I have been 3 feet from it many times. The reason Harley races dirttrack would be that they already have a bike that is developed and has been for, oh 30 some years now? It was originally Sportster based, and yes the bike they make is the Sportster. Check the 883 Flattrack edition they make. Would you like a link to the Harley-Davidson page? There is also a Sportster 883 class that I bet you never heard of. Need a link to the AMA page also? So lets sum it up again. Fact. Big four don't race flattrack. Fact. Harley does and makes a bike like it, and has a specific class dedicated to racing a Sportster 883. So, what I said again is somehow true and you again are totally wrong. So, maybe worrying about how wrong I am, and my suffering work, you should actually know something of which you post.

· Super Duper Mod Man
10,479 Posts
Lighter note!

Hey did your clutch slip on the TL? Mine slipped horribly on full throttle over 7000 rpm. I was wondering how common that problem was, as the dealer I went to said he had that complaint all the time, but when i called Suzuki to complain, they said it was isolated and not a common problem. Have any input on it? By the way I really did like that damn TL with all it faults. And yes, sadly my frame broke twice!

· Super Duper Mod Man
10,479 Posts

I do come off a bit negative on the sport crowd. Maybe it's me reaction to all their *****ing every time a review is made that isn't a sport bike. Have you noticed that trend? I certainly don't have all the answers to anything. My Uncle had a good saying to fit this: " I don't know a damn thing about lots of stuff, but don't try to tell me about cars!". He was a career gearhead and racer since he could walk. He knew much and called anyone out that didn't know but talked like they did. There are certain things I know from riding, and racing for 35 years and owning and riding hunderds of bikes in that time. I do call "bull$shyt" on people alot, and maybe too much. Maybe I should let the misinformation, half-truths, and outright lies just pass by. Yes I do come off heavy handed at times, and I realize that. Believe it or not I am trying to be nice! LOL One thing I do not do is make personal attacks. The one you posted was to KPaul and well if you don't know that history....

Personal attacks I will never do unless provoked. Cheers to you too.

· Super Duper Mod Man
10,479 Posts

Firrst of all there are plenty of complaints about the new GoldWing. Maybe you are blind to them but I am not. They have complained about lousy fit and finish, bolts rusting already, paint fading, overheating, horrible sound system, a $1000 dollar CD player that is a POS, and of course there were already 2 recalls you seem to forget. I can send em to you personally if you like. Well, Harley could have acted like Honda did with the GoldWing 1200 stator problem and just let em burn up and never say a word right? I mean they figure those GoldWing owners were not very smart anyway and why say anything when these dupes wont? If Harley really didn't worry about fixing it why say or admit anything? Just play stupid like Honda does! At least they admitted fault and will make things right. Like I said, I don't need to go into each marques problems, of which there are many. I see you used all the cliches in your post also. very good and that scores points. My definition of a "sucker" would be someone that buys a motorcycle for 20 grand and gets 10 for it 3 years later.

41 - 60 of 73 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.