Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey There - been on a Harley for years, currently ride an 04 Deuce. I love it, the feel, the image, etc. However.. I feel the need.... the need for speed! :D A few months ago I test drove a BMW Sport Touring Bike, the K1200GT, which was very sweet and oh so quick. Although I didnt buy the bike, it kinda gave me the speed bug. I am thinking about either a CBR600RR or a GSX-600R. I know both of these are extremely powerful agile bike but I'm pretty sure I can master them quickly (I've been on bikes my entire life and lets just say I have a few miles on my tires).

The one bike that looked interesting in addition to these two was the Suzuki GSX-600F with its more upridding position... anyone know about that bike? Thanks!

·
Registered
10,903 Posts
As a H-D guy you might want to consider some of the available Vtwin sportbikes. Honda, Suzuki, Ducati and Aprilia all make great Vtwin sportbikes which for a Harley rider will have a much more satisfying sound and powerband.

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
That's a pretty open ended question. CA! (BTW, you're supposed to be dead now.)

There are a LOT of fun fast bikes out there -- 600, 750, liter, liter plus. They are all plenty fast. The smaller ones will be lighter and more flickable; the bigger ones will have more power (duh) and be less controllable (by the inexperienced, I mean.)

Buz has an excellent point, too, that the V-twins will be very different from the I-fours.

They are all good -- it just depends on what you want. Got more hints for us??

·
Registered
41 Posts
I used to have a R1. The 'plan' was to have the R1 and the FLHT. Unfortunately, the R1 met an untimely demise. However, I too often feel the 'need for speed' as well. I've ridden some of the 600cc repli-racers and for as inspiring as they are on the track, they are a pain in the butt on the street. I would look Ducati, Suzuki, or even the new Buell looks very interesting!

·
Super Duper Mod Man
10,479 Posts
The only real way to find out the bike you would like is to ride as many different ones as you can. Most dealers will let you test ride used bikes. I do it all the time even though I'm not interested in buying. Lots of bikes look good on paper, but you will never know if you REALLY like it until you take it for a spin.

·
Registered
7,117 Posts
Hiya Captain! Love the tights.

I can really relate to your position. After many years of riding HDs exclusively, I finally felt the need, and found the opportunity, to get a more sporting bike, in my case, a Concours. Not exactly a superbike, but compared to any HD, it's quite a change. If it's at all possible, consider owning two bikes. I really enjoy being able to get that HD feeling when I want it, and having the Conster available for longer or faster rides.

BTW: add the new Concours 14 to your list of bikes to look at. It seems to be a terrific combination of supersport and touring.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Boy, you've got lots of choices. If you want something completely different from your Harley, an I-4 is about as far away as you can get. Or, if you don't want to step quite as far away, take Buzz's suggestion and go for a twin. Or split the difference and get a Triumph triple.

There are tons of sportbikes and naked sports out there now that will satisfy your need. And all will be very fast and very different from your Harley.

Give us a bit more info here.

·
Registered
540 Posts
I'd consider a standard, they've got all (or 95%) of the speed of the sport bikes and are a hell of a lot more comfortable (especially for one that isn't used to a forward leaning riding position). That or a sport tourer as K Moore said. The FZ6 that you're considering is an excellent consideration, as is the SV650/1000, V-Stroms, Honda 919, etc. I think the FZ6 is a bike that likes to be run at high RPM's so you'll have to decide how that fits your riding style. I've only ridden a friends FZ6, so you'll get as much experience out of a test ride. I think a lot of the sport based 600's like the RPMs.

·
Registered
901 Posts
I'll answer the question you actually asked. The GSX600F is more commonly called the Katana. It's on the heavy side and is not fuel-injected. It's also discontinued now. They're much less expensive and cheaper to insure than a GSX600R. There's also the 750 version of the Katana, which isn't much heavier than the 600, so you might want to consider that one instead. And if you are looking at a new bike, for 2008 Suzuki is replacing the Katana with the new GSX650F, which is fuel-injected and looks a bit like a GSXR.

·
Super Duper Mod Man
10,479 Posts
I'll answer the question you actually asked. The GSX600F is more commonly called the Katana. It's on the heavy side and is not fuel-injected. It's also discontinued now. They're much less expensive and cheaper to insure than a GSX600R. There's also the 750 version of the Katana, which isn't much heavier than the 600, so you might want to consider that one instead. And if you are looking at a new bike, for 2008 Suzuki is replacing the Katana with the new GSX650F, which is fuel-injected and looks a bit like a GSXR.
Boy, I'm sure you just overwhelmed him with that valuable information. :rolleyes:

·
The Toad
17,458 Posts
Shut up.....

Please don't do that. It flies in the face of the longstanding MO tradition of babbling about stuff that has nothing to do with what people want to know. Sarcastic remarks and insults are always welcome if you can't think of anything else.
...you know nothing [email protected]@rd.

·
Registered
11,488 Posts
Go with a BossHoss - the 500cid one cuz the... Oh, Nevermind......................

·
Aging Cafe` Racer
8,715 Posts
Please don't do that. It flies in the face of the longstanding MO tradition of babbling about stuff that has nothing to do with what people want to know. Sarcastic remarks and insults are always welcome if you can't think of anything else.
Might of known we'd get some stupid touchy-feely cr*p from a flaming Nancy like you K-K-Ken................

I actually have just the bike for you my friend, an '02 Suzuki Bandit 1200S. It's well maintained and in excellent condition w/ recent tires, chain and sprocket. It's considered a Standard or Sport Touring bike and makes a nice counterpoint to your Duece, comfortable fast and good handling it's an good bike at a good price. This is no B.S., it's listed for sale here.

I work in Seattle, send me an email [email protected] -if you're interested and we can arrange to meet and take a look at the bike.

·
The Toad
17,458 Posts
Yes.

Might of known we'd get some stupid touchy-feely cr*p from a flaming Nancy like you K-K-Ken................

I actually have just the bike for you my friend, an '02 Suzuki Bandit 1200S. It's well maintained and in excellent condition w/ recent tires, chain and sprocket. It's considered a Standard or Sport Touring bike and makes a nice counterpoint to your Duece, comfortable fast and good handling it's an good bike at a good price. This is no B.S., it's listed for sale here.

I work in Seattle, send me an email [email protected] -if you're interested and we can arrange to meet and take a look at the bike.[/QUOTES]

Sarnali speaks sooth. Get a Bandit to see how the other half lives. It does everything well.

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
The Katana (GSX750F or little brother 600F) are discontinued. Old, slow-reacting, heavy out-dated bike- Stay away from it now. Buz's suggestion of V-Twins is great. I'd pick the KTM SuperDuke or a Ducati Hypermotard. The KTM will blow your mind. The Ducati is more of a toy- in my mind. But you have a HD- so you need a toy. The SV1000s will probably suit you, but look at a Yamaha FZ1000. They make lower fairing bolt ons and you don't have to eat sportbike insurance rates. Another suggestion is a MV Brutale 910. It's very compact and can change direction by mere thought. Any Ducati Monster (as long as it has MS4RS on it) will certainly take care of all your go fast needs. OR just go out and get a new Triump Tiger w/ "off road" pipes and software up date and you get sparkling Speed Triple fun with wind protection. Better yet go buy the new Street Triple and get all the Daytona 675 fun for nekkid pricing. That good enough for you? Hey- am I all over the map for you guys?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.