Motorcycle Forums banner
21 - 40 of 234 Posts

·
Registered
3,875 Posts
Re: Harley stock down over 6%

"If Harley put the V-Rod engine into a decent frame (not cruiser focused); not jack up the ride height like on the Street Rod (talk about parts bin special)"

I think these two are mutually exclusive, don't you?

·
Registered
281 Posts
"and a weak consumer response to new models."

Is the market saturated? The crowd moving on to new thrills? Gas @$3/gal taken a bite out of discretionary cash? The market for SUVs is down too. Maybe the crowd has found out they are a station wagon with a high center of gravity. Will the Harley go the way of the Hoola Hoop? What does Warren Buffet think?

·
Registered
5 Posts
HD has been "licensing the hell" out of their trademark for years. The result? I was in a Harley dealership a couple of years ago to go to the Harley Diner and saw a HD VCR and a HD leather couch. Look in Ladies Home Journal magazine and you'll see a Harley Baby doll. Go to the pet store and you can buy a Harley scarf for your dog! I don't know if this is still true, but about 10 years ago I read that Harley made more money selling t-shirts, bumper stickers and other poseur crap than they did selling bikes!

I believe that HD is looking to the future, as they introduced 6 new bikes this year. The V-Rod is a good start with producing a modern bike, because selling a product that is the automotive equal of a '57 Chevy isn't going to carry them too much further with the retro, wannabe outlaw crowd. If they would take the V-Rod motor, bump up the displacement and produce something other than a cruiser, like a sport touring or pure sport bike (something the Buell is not) they would have a good product. They need to court the non-traditional Harley market and try to get some cross-over sales.

Even BMW, a company that has almost as long a tradition with a single engine platform sees the necessity in diversifying, producing 4 different entirely new engines in the last 20 years, including a single and the new 800 parallel twin.

As for the HD golf bag, take a look at Golf magazine. I wouldn't be surprised if you saw an ad. And you can be sure that AMF has made golf clubs. Cripe! Years ago they even made scuba equipment!

·
Registered
64 Posts

Do you own a V-Rod? If you do, do you really feel it was worth the money you paid? Not being a smart ass just asking. I don't quite get the V-Rod/Street Rod.

I say this because I think I'm part of the demographic that Harley is looking to tap into for future growth but they don't sell anything that gets my attention other than the Roadster.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Kawasaki (KHI) up about 45% in last year. Maybe a shift underway to Japanese bikes? Hard to say. For one thing, KHI is a lot bigger than motorcycles, theres heavy industry stuff too. Same with Honda and the others.

I think theres potential in the American market for Japanese expansion if they move more to comfortable standard or adventure type bikes. Baby boomers remember the Japanese bikes of the late 60s and early 70s and they werent sportbikes, not ergo wise anyway. Upright, relatively comfortable seating. Boomers remember and want to rekindle the past. Thats been part of Harley's success.

·
Registered
64 Posts

Do you own a V-Rod? If you do, do you really feel it was worth the money you paid? Not being a smart ass just asking. I don't quite get the V-Rod/Street Rod.

I say this because I think I'm part of the demographic that Harley is looking to tap into for future growth but they don't sell anything that gets my attention other than the Roadster.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Maybe they should get into Scooters. Those sales are growing by leaps and bounds. In defense of the dealers. They have had some booming years but it is Manufactures Suggested Retail Price. If a dealer is limited on how many units they get because of national demand they will and I think should put a premium on a unit. I don't think this makes them crooked. When the demand goes down so does the price. If you need X amount of profit to stay in business and your limited on the product you get, you will have to adjust the price.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
My boss just got new bifocal glasses with Harley-Davidson frames. No sh*t.

(P.S. He doesn't ride and he got those frames because they were the LEAST expensive of the bunch. Seriously.)

·
Registered
320 Posts
Do you hate HD?

I'm always completely surprised by the amount of animosity that HD generates in many motorcycle owning Americans. Where is there pride in the fact that at least one US motorcycle marque is still alive and well?

Will all those people snort with derision and pleasure if HD goes away? They can say "Well America used to be a manufacturing country, but now all we have is service industries."

No matter what you all think of HD's products be proud that an American heavy industry is alive and well. Or do you all want your Motorbikes like your TV's, cars, computers, stereos, clothes and all the rest to made somewhere else and imported here.

When none of you have jobs, you won't be able to buy your Suzondayamakis anymore, see how it works?

·
Registered
10,904 Posts
Re: Do you hate HD?

I hear ya.

Let's see, they make a product a lot of people enjoy. They are known for being good to their employees and they give generously to charities and servicemen.

What an embarrassment!

I suppose they could be mean to kids and dogs as long as they built an inline 4 sportbike.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts

"I asked the guy in LA about that. His response? "We have a lot longer riding season here."" Well I would say so! Like maybe 365 days a year? What other thing could commend the "Evil Empire of L.A."?

ALSO... Where the Hell is "THE HIGHWAYMAN"! I'm getting pretty damn tired of checking out all the HD posts in the hope of receiving one of His Inspiring Diatribes only to meet disappointment yet again! It must be like how an Atrococycle rider feels when yet again all the Hot Chicks are drawn to the "Real American Manly Men that ride Harleys!" at bike night.

·
Premium Member
1,900 Posts

The only flaw there is there is a difference in taking pride in the U.S. and paying too much for an inferior product.

Name a $26,000 American car that has the build quality of a Honda Accord. (not counting the Hondas being built in Kentucky)

·
Registered
13 Posts

Absolutely...it's been decades since having a "made in america" stamp on something actually meant it was a better product. H-D isn't the only American manufacturer that needs to realize that, especially with the current economy, a lot of people simply can't justify "keeping their hard-earned-the-american-way-money going to hard-working americans" when there are BETTER products for LESS money.

·
Registered
281 Posts

I don't hate H-D. I hate the snotty attitude of most of their riders and the snotty attitude of their dealers. As for heavy industry, crap home building is the new American heavy industry and if that implodes, stand clear.

21 - 40 of 234 Posts