Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
I find that I like the look of the Softail duece and the Dyna Low Rider. As well I think the Street Rod is pretty cool. I just think the pricing on their bikes is a bit too high for me. I would probably get a Ducati or BMW first. As well, I would probably look weird on a H-D with a full helmet, gloves , and a jacket.

·
Registered
137 Posts
They need a good naked bike, perhaps under the Buell name. with a powerful liquid cooled V-twin. An under 400 pound, 100-120 hp bike that costs under $10,000 would go a long way at getting me over to that side. The current buell just doesn't do it for me. For just a little extra money I like the Monster better.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I'll throw in my 2 cents. I don't think that Harley has, or probably ever will reach my demographic. I started riding at age 11 on a Yamaha, and have owned Japanese bikes ever since. The Harley name just doesn't mean and much to me as other people. I've had a chance to ride a few and wasn't really that impressed. I know that the reason people like them goes deeper than the bike itself, kinda like a brotherhood or fraternity.

I noticed this after talking to my Dad. After my Mom died he decided to get a motorcycle to pass the time and partly because he had to give it up when we were born. He immediatly liked the dresser type bikes and bought a Suzuki C50T. He really enjoys riding the bike and has put probably 2500 miles on it. But after telling people that he bought a bike they always ask if it's a Harley, when he tells them what it is their reaction ranges from disapointment to disgust and at that point they treat him like a second class citizen, so he's already decided he wants a Harley. I talked to him about it and even though he's happy with his bike he still wants one. I think it's a shame that he cares that much about what other people think. Strange because he's a very smart man that started a business from stratch and has done well in life, paid for his house, cars, etc in cash.

I think that where I have the biggest problem with Harley, it has more to do with the mystique, the image, the perception than the actual ride. Plus I feel like they've sold out and watered down the brand by selling dog clothes and stuff like that. It's almost like teenagers the way the Baby Boomer Harley guys try to fit in, always wanting to have the latest and greatest to show off to others and try to feel like they "fit in"

·
Registered
137 Posts
Re: Harley has options

I think that Harley has a lot of ground to make up. It'll be hard to compete with the Japanese on their own ground. To me the Harley name means something different than to all the baby boomers. It's the brand that caters the retired, and the guys who won't wave back on a ride. The guys more interested in image. Not a lot of younger guys interested into buying into that. I think Harley chose their path and now it will be hard to backtrack.

·
Registered
137 Posts
A few other things hurting Harley is that it doesn't have a full range. You go to honda you can get a 4-wheeler, cruiser, sportbike, standard, personal watercraft, dirtbikes. etc, etc, etc. As well they have any kinda motor you can think of. Harley makes cruisers with air cooled twins, nothing else. As well they really don't have an "entry point" bike. The sportster 883 is still expensive for what you get.

FWIW I think for the most part they cater to non enthusiasts. Most guys that buy one only buys it because of the name, most don't know that much about motorcycles. All the people that say imports suck can't tell you why Harleys are better, they just think they are because Harley says they are. Eventually it won't hold water. Someone will question why they're so expensive and why they should want one above a VTX or Vulcan, etc.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I think they saw a market for cruisers and went after it. I'm talking more about the riders, yes I know squids try to "fit in" too. I condemn them in the same breathe. What ever happened to riding just to ride, riding for fun and not caring what everyone thought. Also the Japanese makers are running a business, they make in many cases a better product at a lower cost. Just like Toyota/Honda did to GM in the 70's..

·
Registered
137 Posts
If you pay the same price for a 5 year old Harley as you can get a new one for, you're a true moron. That's not value, just a lot of hype and supidity on the part of people buying used Harley's. Just like everything else the bottom will fall out. You can't sell 250,000 bikes a year and expect that they'll never depriciate. It's simple economics, soon now that demand is met a lot of people that bought Harleys because of TV shows, midlife crisis, etc will sell them and cause an overabundance in the used market driving prices down. It may take a few years, may not, but it will happen.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I never like riding with other people. I like going where I want to and doing everything on my own terms. Sometimes I just get urge to ride somewhere I haven't been. I'll get up early and just head in one direction. Probably not a good thing as people don't know where I'm at and I don't have a cell phone (something else I refuse to own)

·
Registered
137 Posts
Then you just don't "get it" or "it's a Harley thing, you wouldn't understand" Choose the cliche.. That's okay though, I never understood it either. I don't even think the Harley guys do. I fact I don't think anyone really even knows what "it" is. Perhaps it's just showing that you have a lot of money to spend or that you have control over your household and buying what you darn well please. Perhaps the world will never know. I think an oompa-loompa song about RUBS and Squids would be pretty funny :)

·
Registered
137 Posts
Amen, that's what I'm talking about. I wish there were more like you. Just as I wish there were more sport enthusiasts and not squids. I run into some cool people from time to time, usually far,far from the city.

·
Registered
137 Posts
How much did you pay for the dyna, if you don't mind me asking. They're all going for $16,000 to $22,000 around here. Seems as though everyone got a huge loan and made $39 payments or something. I saw a 1995 FatBoy going for $17,500. It had like 50-55k miles on it. I've heard that Harley will finance just about anyone (at 22% though) not sure how true that is.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.