Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's an island! You wouldn't think it would be that easy to hide all these stolen bikes on a island!

Must be stealing them for joy rides and dumping them.

·
Registered
10,903 Posts
I remember teaching a seminar in Juneau one time and the attendees told me they just left their keys in their cars.

The theory was if someone did steal your car, where the hell were they going to go?

·
MODERATOR X
5,449 Posts
This looks like a job for Magnum!

Or McGarret.

Book 'em Drano....

·
Registered
29 Posts
Man, motorcycles have a rough life in Hawaii. People run them hard for lots of miles. I've seen plenty of three year old bikes with 50,000+ miles, and have yet to have an oil change. I've even seen honda rebels with 85,000 miles on them. No bad weather=lots of miles on an island you can drive across in 30min if you get lucky on traffic.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have had one of my bikes stolen in Honolulu, as have most of my riding friends. Harleys are especially vulnerable. It really sucks! Oahu is NOT a rider's paradise. In fact, it has terrible road congestion, and, in reality, there's no where to go. And, the hot weather eats radiators, batteries and tires fast.

I moved to a small town on Vancouver Island in B.C. Canada. I can leave my keys in any of my vehicles without fear of theft, and I get to ride in the cold rain!!! UGH!

·
MODERATOR X
5,449 Posts
When I worked for a freight forwarder in San Pedro I was cutting documentation on a container of bikes leaving the port going to Japan. All the DMV titles I had for Customs were for goofy stuff like Honds 100's, Old trail 90's and such, stuff no one would really want.

So I decided to look in the container when it arrived at our warehouse for the seal drayage over to the steamship line after the export declaration cleared Customs. It was full of high-end prisitine Z1R's, Kawasaki triples, and other rare Japanese bikes (even a Suzuki Wankel). None of the titles were even close so I ratted off the exporter to Customs and as it turned out they were all stolen insurance jobs from all across the USA.

Customs didn't even give me one as a reward for my trouble. Not that I didn't ask mind you.

·
Registered
466 Posts
harley big twins are vulnerable you mean...

after 24 years i'm not sick of the scenery yet, roads only are horribly congested during rush hour...

theft definitely sucks here, it's hot and it does rain a lot...the 50mph town speed limit also is a downer...but i don't think i'll ever get tired of riding around the island...(as long as i don't do it too often)

ps my battery is dead :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
I live just outside of Honolulu and have eight bikes in my garage (please don't post my address!). I MUST ride, so I sure hope I can get LoJack for motorcycles soon. Yes, Harleys are the most stolen on the Island, but even 50cc scooters are in peril here. If you walk down any side street in honolulu, you will see single scooter wheels chained to lamp posts (without a scooter attached).

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.