Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
That's sweet! I was just thinking about the same thing recently, with a Hahn Racecraft turbo for about 300 Hp, and paddle shifters on the steering wheel. I would use a different body though, something like a Lola Indy car from about '70, and try to get it registered for street use.......heh heh heh.....

·
Registered
4 Posts
I thought the zx12 had more hp than the busa?....and the gsxr1000 had a higher power-to-weight ratio than either the zx12 or the busa!

I know it's nitpicking...but the busa doesn't top the list of most hp....

·
Registered
15 Posts
Well given the fact that it weighs in at just under 1000lbs, and has a HP reading of 175, I would say it's pretty damn fast.

Most cars don't even produce 175HP, and they'll usually top out somewhere above 110MPh. Given the fact that this car is geared differently, and far more aerodynamic - I would have to estimate somewhere around 150Mph which isn't the 200 the busa pushes, but is still pretty damn fast.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Don't forget the curves....

...don't forget the one thing that (sport) cars are better at then bikes, Ripping around a corner at break-neck speed! with the sound of a bike engine right behind you! Sounds like fun.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Re: Don't forget the curves....

Street legal sports cars aren't that much faster through curves. I read two different tests which pitted a bike against a car, a CBR 900 RR against an NSX in Willow Springs and an R1 against Dodge Viper GTS in Nurgburgring (did I spell that correctly?). In the tightest of curves the cars were faster but not by much, and in the high speed sweepers bikes were faster. A friend of mine who had a modified Ford Sierra Cosworth 4X4 with 400 horses confirmed this, saying he never felt as confident in his car in high speed sweepers compared to his '94 ZX9R. I think cars are more susceptible to understeering in these conditions.

As for the race cars, of course that is a different story. Hey MO, how 'bout a comparision of sportsbikes & sportscars?

·
The Toad
17,451 Posts
Problems encountered in such a project include the fact that the Suzuki engine is only designed to push a certain amount of weight. The engine bearing surfaces can be overwhelmed by too much vehicle weight and catastrophically fail. Whatever is designed had better be within tolerance or its bye-bye baby.

·
Registered
85 Posts
You are talking about limits to the *continual* load it was designed for, of course, because most Hayabusa owners subject their engines to momentary stresses HUGELY worse than pushing a lightweight car around and the engine usually lives through it. *Continual* load in excess of design specs will cause an engine to wear out prematurely, yes, but "catasrophic failure" is not very likely under normal conditions just a shorter time before major engine overhaul is necessary. I don't think the target owner of such a beast would care too much about that (they are probably not going to use it to replace their Camry as a daily commuter).

·
The Toad
17,451 Posts
You're right of course. I was just musing on what might happen if someone tried to do this at home without taking all the physics into account. You'd probably have to run the engine output through an intermediate device that would take up the load. It's be interesting to see the actual drive train they're using in this thing.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Well, even a car that produces 115hp can go 125mph or so (my old '86 MR2 is a good example). And that's with a 2500 lb. weight. So, if this car can't do 150mph, I'd be VERY surprised.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Re: Don't forget the curves....

Honda S2000 would be faster and better handling than the 'busacage, and likely cheaper as well. With its 9000 rpm redline it even sounds like a motorcycle, and the VTEC provides a noticeable kick.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.