Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
The Toad
17,449 Posts
Go to the local sporting goods store and buy some of those chemical hand warmers. Then go to the office supply store and buy a bag of rubber bands. Each morning simply open two hand warmers and rubber band them to the grips. Voila! Problem solved.

·
Registered
11,482 Posts
You can find in some moto-stores (try BMW Dealers, or any Honda shop that sells a buttload of Goldwings) a kit for about the same price, that's similar - but doesn't use that damn resistor for the "low heat". Rather, it uses more than one circuit for each grip heater. It might be $5 more - but you'll spend that in shipping. NOT that I'm sayin' "don't buy from Rider Warehouse" or anything. Just do a bit of lookin' around.

·
Registered
956 Posts
I was looking at the Aerostich stuff. Then I had a moment of weakness and got the Gerbings gloves instead, heaven, absolute heaven.....

·
Registered
956 Posts
Over 5 years it's less than a buck a week. If my 1/2 a Concours can run the gloves then you bike sure can. No batteries or plug in? Solar powered?

·
Registered
361 Posts
Re: Go for the GLOVES

I tried Aerostich Grip Wraps for one winter, and the backs of my hands were always cold while the palms were too hot.

I bought some Gerbing G3 gloves, and my hands were enveloped in toasty, even warmth.

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
Alpinestars Drystar gloves- used them for two years on my K bike and have only touched the heat switch once and below 30 degrees. mmmmm- toasty.

·
Registered
11,482 Posts
Happy Birthday, Buz! Didja take a celebratory ride yet? (as if I had to ask!)

One of my friends, upon turning 40 decided to "Ride his Age" - that is, made up his mind to attempt to ride 40-different bikes by the time he turned 41. I'm not sure where he's at with it, but he was getting close.

That's a lot of coppin' rides, but he probably was able to knock-out 15 or so from his own revolving stable.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Congratualtions Buz

you have survived another winter

to feed this summers mosquitoes

sorry but it's the only hiku(SP?) I know...

·
Registered
150 Posts
Here is the kit similar to the Aerostich one but with the dual-circuit setup rather then the resistor:

http://www.dual-star.com/index2/Rider/heated_grip_kit1.htm

I've had these on my bike for almost 3 years and they've been great.

Personally I wish the "low" setting was just a bit warmer. The "high" setting is perfect for those super-cold days though. The best solution would be a "heat-troller" like Gerbings makes for it's jackets that would give you finely adjustable heat. I haven't seen a kit like that though, and maybe it wouldn't work as well for grips as it does for the jackets.

I find the grips a much more compelling solution, cause you can use them year round without having to wear big bulky winter gloves. If you get caught out in the rain in the summer, etc.. the heated grips can come to the rescue when the winter gloves are left at home. And frankly when I tried on the Gerbing's gloves I wasn't real pleased with the control feel.

And you just can't beat that they're 1/8th-1/10th the price of heated gloves.

·
Registered
11,482 Posts
Those be the ones I was talking about!

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.