Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Widder vest. I fits fine and works well, but only came with a on-off switch, not variable temp controller. I believe Widderrsells a variable temp cable, so I definitely recommend that.

Heated grips are a definite plus and something to protect the neck.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I also have the Widder vest. I love it.

I tried heated grips but they only warm the palm of your hands, not the backs where the wind blows. Also, I like to cover the brake and clutch levers with two fingers, and then they get cold. I found myself holding on to the grips with my entire hand, just to keep them warm.

If you're getting the vest, I suggest adding the heated gloves, they plug right in. They are a little bulky, but really keep your hands warm. One of the best motorcycle accessories I ever bought.

BikerVince

·
Registered
13 Posts
I've had my Widder vest and gloves for 5 years. I rode to work in Maine this morning with a temp of 37*. From my experience, the vest will keep me reasonably warm (under my Kilimangaro suit) to around 28*. After that riding becomes a matter of bragging rights rather then actual enjoyment. That and my Ninja stalls at every stop sign.

The gloves are bulky and their cable connection is a PIA but worth the hassle. Both the widder and the aerostitch are great products but the concepts are different. The Widder requires a snug fit for heat transfer, while I think the Aerostich product warms an air barrier, sorta like goose down.

Ride safe and ride 'till it snows. Then ride the sled!

·
Super Duper Mod Man
10,479 Posts
I have used a Widder vest and gloves over the last 9 years and they work really well. Not one problem and they held up great. Buz is the real expert though. I will defer to his opnion on heated gear.

·
Registered
325 Posts
I've been using a Widder vest for the last two years and it works flawlessly. A snug fit around your torso is important to it's functioning properly so get proper measurements of your chest and waist. They tend to taper in at the bottom so loose your beer gut if you have one. ;) If you have to, you can always slide the bottom zipper up to allow for more room. Since someone mentioned heated grips I'll weigh in on that one also. They don't really work that well once the temps drop to near freezing and below.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Everyone in the group I used to ride with in NYC (www.citibeemers.com) swore by Gerbing clothing, so I bought the heated jacket liner. As others have stated, buy a snug-fitting size--not tight, just not "urban hipster" loose.

Other Clothing

What you wear *under* the liner makes a big difference as well. You want a snug, wicking, long sleeve undershirt. This prevents your skin from getting hot spots but allows maximum heat from the jacket liner.

Then it's the jacket liner, then some fleece and as many layers as you need to be comfortable.

Gerbing Heated Jacket Liner

http://www.gerbing.com/heat/jl.html

Battery

The heated jacket liner, plus the cold temps, will add load to the battery and can even prevent the bike from starting. Make sure your battery is in good condition before adding one of these accessories. Or get ready for a lot of push starting. ;) I also use the thermo-troller thermostat thingy, and that's helpful because you can keep the vest low and save the battery during daylight, turning it up at night.

-John

'99 SV650

·
Registered
361 Posts
I discovered that heated grips only heat the palms of your hands and the insides of your fingers. The other side of your fingers and hand are cold. It's like facing a roaring bonfire on a cold day -- one side of you is hot and the other freezing.

Heated gloves are a better solution to cold hands.

·
Registered
10,903 Posts
The Great Vest Predictor!

Why thank you longride.

I too have a Widder vest and gloves. Make sure you get the temp controller rather than the on/off switch cuz if you're riding and it's only a little cold (like 72) you can switch on just a little heat.

I've never used the gloves and I think they're covered in dust at the moment.

Out here where we have mountains, in can go from hot to cold in a hurry. I think longride uses his vest to heat up bratwurst while he rides.

·
The Toad
17,458 Posts
It's supposed to be 52 degrees overnight tonight down there so he should be able to tell us how well his vest is working.

·
Registered
911 Posts
I had an Eclipse vest that was great, the only problem with it was that the collar was made of corduroy and that was very abrasive on your neck, so I sold it and got a Widder, that was a great vest also, but after reading about how great the Aerostich vest was, I sold that one too and purchased the Stich, well I am very dissapointed with it, it does not get as warm as the other two, when I got in touch with Aerostich and explained the problem, I was told that their product is designed that way and that was the end of that! I could not return it because I had had it for too long, I guess I should have tryed it right away.

Get the Widder and you will be very warm and happy.

·
Registered
126 Posts
As long as your bike's charging system is working properly, you shouldn't be putting any load at all on the the battery while the engine is running. All the necessary power is supplied by the alternator. So you're not "saving" anything by keeping it turned down. It will drain the battery if you are using your electric gear with the engine off, but you shouldn't be doing that.

BikerVince

·
Registered
9 Posts
Take a look at Gerbing (Gerbing.com). A heated vest leaves your arms cold. Gerbing has heat jacket liners, heated pant liners, and heated jackets, pants, sox, and gloves. The pants and jackets are customer fitted to your measurements. They have thermostats and work great. Without a thermostat you may be so warm on a freezing day you sweat when you stop. I have a full set, no problems...They work GREAT!!!!!1

·
Super Duper Mod Man
10,479 Posts
Re: The Great Vest Predictor!

I think Italian sausage with peppers is more my style. I know that the temperature fluctuations are terrible there in ****. It can go from 70 to 60 and back to 70 in the blink of an eye, and you have to be ready. I'm sure the vest saved you from a horrible fate many a day.

·
Registered
15 Posts
"Or get ready for a lot of push starting"

Check your alternator output and monitor the battery closely if you can--I completely fried the electrical system --stator, voltage regulator, and wiring harness--on a Scarabeo 500 by using heated grips and vest for cold weather riding even with a new t.o.l. battery and voltmeter display.--No push starts for me and six month down time wating for parts.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Negative, blue leader.

If your alternator isn't big enough, you'll be discharging the battery as you go down the road in your toasty warmness, later finding yourself stranded out in the cold-- possibly left alone to freeze to death*.

Here's the equation:

alternator wattage - motorcycle wattage = wattage left over for accessories (including heated clothing).

The alternator on my bike is 400W, plenty to run a fully heated suit, gloves, socks.

Many other bikes, on the other hand, have 250W alternators that can't support heated vests and gloves.

My suggestion is this: before gearing yourself up with electron heated apparel, google your bike's alternator wattage to make sure you're not going to be draining your batter dry.

*reference to death added for dramatic affect.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I have the BMW carbon vest. I wear it in Oregon I ride all year. I like it becuase it has 2 settings - Slow and fast cook. I wear it with a one piece Fieldsheer suit. God suit, way cheaper than Aerostitch. GLoves. (heated grips) Snowboarding gloves (Costco for $15.00!! and they are waterproof!!) with light summer leather riding glove underneath (for abrasion protection.) Works down into the 20's for my 22 mile commute. Be sure to get a fairly snug vest; not tight but not loose either. Closer it is to the skin the better it works. When it rains I throw on a cheap yellow slicker jacket to stop the "aerostitch wet crotch" syndrome. Nothing is worse than being wet AND cold. Good luck

·
Banned
3,775 Posts
Since you ride only a few times a year don't think that is a large enough sample size to make a accurate prediction of reliability.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.