Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I rode a Honda 550 a few decades ago for a year or two but then started a family and gave it up. I just bought a new to me 2006 Honda VTX 1300R.

I had it delivered and it is very slow to get up and go. I was told it ran great and was in excellent working condition. I had him shoot me a current video and start the bike and show the bike running. I hope I didn't get screwed. I trusted this guy I purchased it from. I even had him shoot a current video of the bike and asked him to start it on the video and send it to me before I purchased. Now I've got a sick feeling in my stomach thinking I got taken advantage of for trusting him. It does start nicely and it does get up to speed but takes forever. I checked the oil and it's just above the lower mark so the oil and filter will being changed this week.

I hope you can help me out. The bike has a Voyager Custom trike kit. It also has some unique upgrades not sure if I like them but also some nice things like a corbin seat, Corbin beetle bags and a Memphis Shades Batwing Fairing with windshield. Can you tell I'm trying to make myself feel better about my purchase? The previous owner said the oil was changes 6 months ago and it has 31k+ miles over it's 16 year life. I had it shipped to me from a several hour drive. But here's the problem.

The bike looks great. Starts great, sounds great, runs great but getting it to move not so good. I would assume that starting it and putting it into gear and releasing the clutch with out gas it would stall but it doesn't it wasn't to mo e forward a bit but then stops even if adding gas. I can Pusher and baby it up to speed but takes forever.

Any solution or help would be GREATLY appreciated.

· Super Moderator
1,089 Posts
Any solution or help would be GREATLY appreciated.
After ALL of that typing, you finally got to the root of the problem at the very end.

IF you give it gas and the engine goes faster but the bike doesn't.....you have a clutch problem.
And it sounds like it is bad enough that a rebuild will be necessary.

Is this a hydraulic clutch or cable operated ?
If cable, then there might not be enough slack in the cable adjustment.

BUT......have you learned a good lesson here ????
You should never EVER buy anything this expensive sight unseen. Never.
Especially a vehicle that has obviously been "screwed with" extensively.

I wish you luck. A complete new clutch is likely to cost you $800 or more, just guessing.

· Registered
4 Posts
After ALL of that typing, you finally got to the root of the problem at the very end.

IF you give it gas and the engine goes faster but the bike doesn't.....you have a clutch problem.
And it sounds like it is bad enough that a rebuild will be necessary.

Is this a hydraulic clutch or cable operated ?
If cable, then there might not be enough slack in the cable adjustment.

BUT......have you learned a good lesson here ????
You should never EVER buy anything this expensive sight unseen. Never.
Especially a vehicle that has obviously been "screwed with" extensively.

I wish you luck. A complete new clutch is likely to cost you $800 or more, just guessing.
I have a 2003 Honda VTX 1300 that i have owned since 2004. Amazing bike! I now have 80,000 miles on it. Ive never had any of that issue with my bike. It does sound to me like maybe a clutch problem though. I also have the Corbin seat and Corbin Beatle bags too. I enjoy the bags a lot. How much did you say you paid for your VTX?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts