Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Riding with out a helmet is just about the dumbest thing that you can do. However I believe that freedom of choice is a paramount concept in the good ol' U.S. of A.....if you want to exercise you own personal stupidity, go right ahead. However, just make sure that you have adequate insurance to take care of you after the major brain injury from the 20mph "just trickin' around the neighborhood and profilin' ride". I don't want MY tax dollars spent wiping your vegetative ass 'cuz you wanted to "look cool".

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
There ya go, just wish they would quit wasting time and money trying to repeal this thing. Then again our "Law makers" dont seem to have anything better to do but make laws on top of laws on top of laws. I would love to see them focus on all the laws on the books and clean up the stupid ones that no longer apply from 150 years ago. Then again to some this is a stupid one too...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Got this email after I posted. Please help me to understand his comment.

A reader at Motorcycle.Com, M. R, sends the following feedback:

name = M. R

From = [email protected]

state = NV

country = US

body = You are a Moron! I bet you ride a Jap squint eye bike?

Maybe someone can ask him for me?

·
Registered
119 Posts
Joe,

Darwin is hard at work on Mkr1966...big time!!! He should have the right to weed himself out on his own dime.

I bet he can't point out the "Made In USA" stamp on his (mostly "Jap squint eye bike") Harley... Because their isn't one!!! Harley's don't have enough "American" parts to qualify for the stamp.

Let's see:

Showa forks and shocks - Honda owns Showa.

Keihin carb - Honda owns Keihin.

German pistons...

Philip

"Jap squint eye bike" ZR-7 and former '99 HD Sportster owner...

·
Registered
33 Posts
You're right Joe Squid. How about this: If some ignoramous wants to ride without a helmet, then fine, but first you sign an agreement that not one dollar of public money be spent to put your small brains back into your head when you are found lying on the pavement with them falling out. As for the motocycle dealers supporting this abarition--you should take a close look in the mirror, because your lack of teaching safety and responsibility has the capability to kill our sport.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Oy!

Can't we just go to the archives for this? Actually, I have some fresh perspective. My racing teammate and good buddy, Tim whacked his head GOOD in the Riverside turn at Buttonwillow last October. He was unconcious for 6 weeks, and is now in rehab. He's pretty scrambled up, and it's up in the air how much closer to normal he'll get.

If he hadn't been wearing a helmet, there would have been brains all over that track. No doubt. I mean, the shell is de-laminated and the EPS liner is noticeably crushed. Sure, it transmitted a lot of shock to his brain. But not enough to kill him, and it doesn't take a lot of G's to the brain to destroy it. Helmets aren't perfect, but until something better comes along, it's the bare minumum of protection every operator of motorcycle-like vehicle should wear. I mean, it's your freakin' brain! It takes so very little to injure it, and such a tiny injury to change your life forever. Ladies and Gentlemen, as exhibit A, I give you: Gary Busey.

Now, that said, should "the man" tell us we should wear it? Well, news for you, folks, there is no "the man." Unless there are big fat corporate interests invloved, it's the voters, working through their elected representatives, that make the decisions. And I think most Californians want their motorcyclists wearing helmets.

I can't say that for a fact, but I'll bet $100 that at least 50.1% of the voters in this state want us to wear helmets. And as long as the majority doesn't trample on any SERIOUS liberties, I'm really OK with it.

Yes, I do have a squinty-eyed Jap bike. (Thank God!)

·
Super Duper Mod Man
10,479 Posts
Re: Oy!

Well, I have even a FRESHER perspective. Did your "buddy", who is possibly going to be scrambled eggs, have good insurance? See, I don't want one penny of my hard earned tax dollars to go to his rehab for doing something as stupid as racing motorcycles. And even if he did have good insurance, he is directly contributing to higher insurance rates, which affects me. I would bet $100 that 50.1% of the voters wouldn't want him doing that either. While were on that thought, I bet another $100 that they don't want us riding at all. Given the "minority" of motorcycles to car ratio I think you would have to agree. Outlawing motorcycles is certainly not a SERIOUS liberty violation. In fact, riding is not a "liberty" at all, it's a privilidge, correct? Using your "illogic" I have made a perfect case for getting rid of the PROBLEM, which is motorcycles. Injuries and deaths are just the symptoms of the disease, and 50.1% of us want you off the road. Hope you don't mind permently parking your squinty-eyed Jap bike too much.

·
Super Duper Mod Man
10,479 Posts
"make sure that you have adequate insurance to take care of you after the major brain injury from the 20mph "just trickin' around the neighborhood and profilin' ride". I don't want MY tax dollars spent wiping your vegetative ass 'cuz you wanted to "look cool".

So it's ok that the guy wearing a helmet broke his neck and is a quad? Tax dollars for that ok? Or severed his spinal cord, shattered his legs, crushed his arm, or became a vege anyway because the helmet didn't protect him? How about the skin grafts the poser needs from having cutoffs and flip-flops? Would your tax dollars be good enough for these people? Since I have picked every single one of these guys off the street in 18 years of firefighter duty, do I need to give you a personal phone call to see who and what you will pay for? Just wondering.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
hey longride - sorry to have personally offended you with my remarks, but I feel pretty strongly that not wearing a helmet IS a dumb idea and yes, I don't feel that I should be responsible for other's irresponsibility. As for your other groups mentioned, one can make a case either way and that isn't the issue - it's whether or not helmets should be required. My point was that if people were required to exercise some modi***** of responsibility for their OWN actions, this would be a non-issue. Unfortunately, in this country, trial lawyers have made an industry out of foisting responsibility of poor decisions and irresponsibility on those with the deepest pockets EVEN if that party was in no way connected with the actual circumstances of the injury. Props to you for being a firefighter, but thanks, I don't need any hostile phone calls today. Maybe tomorrow. As for your next post - trust me, I've already responded to him. My point there was to publically humiliate some narrow minded individual. You o.k. with that?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Mike's next email to me:

-----Original Message-----

Sent: Thursday, January 17, 2002 5:47 AM

To: Joseph M. Tapia

Subject: Re: Motorcycle.Com Reader M. R Has Feedback For You!

***** no. If you don't like this country, go somewhere else with the Gooks

and ******.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Mike's next email to me:

-----Original Message-----

Sent: Thursday, January 17, 2002 5:47 AM

To:

Subject: Re: Motorcycle.Com Reader M. R Has Feedback For You!

***** no. If you don't like this country, go somewhere else with the Gooks

and ******.

·
The Toad
17,458 Posts
It's simply amazing how many short-sighted people think that it is okay for government to regulate behavior because that behavior might end up costing some taxpayer bucks. Think about it. That philosophy justifies government interference in every single facet of human behavior. Ready for centrally monitored cameras in your homes?

The same logic used to force helmet usage is quite valid to use to ban motorcycles altogether. Don't think the politicians wouldn't do it if it suited them. They don't need any help from motorcyclists who apparently are unable to bring an idea to its logical conclusion.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Helmet Laws?? Let's see, These are a good thing. Why is there still a debate on these 'brain buckets'? Because the people who put forth these laws have no brains? oh yeah, they are POLITICIANS, lack of brains are a requirement in that job. Sliding across pavement should be another...just so they can see what it feels like, without the helmet.

Here in Ohio we have an option that I happily took part in; wearing and not wearing the helmet, depending on the weather and my mood. Then one day I was on my way to work and it was bright and sunny and warm, hot really, and I was debating about wearing the thing, but since it was sitting on the bike, and like most people I am a basicly lazy person, I put it on; it was right there after all. Then the ***** turrned in front of me. wiped out my slant-eyed Jap bike, and I ended up in the hospital, out of work for five months and am now happily sporting metal parts in my body...but I can still eat with a fork and wipe my own ass. The guy who was hit on his bike about three minutes after me, on a different road, was not wearing his helmet. He was in a coma for four weeks, and can do none of the things that make life enjoyable, like have sex, wipe his own ass.

I guess what I am trying to say is helemts save more than lives, they save the quality of life you have as well. Yeah, this is America, and yeah, we can chose our quality of life, but I would not wish my five months of pain on anybody, not even with good drugs. Wear the damn helmets. After seeing what some of the riders out there look like, the helmet is a vast improvement anyway.

·
Registered
34 Posts
WHY THE ***** SHOULD WE PAY FOR ANY OF THESE GUYS? I paid for my own crash...and it was not my fault. My bank account shows it. That is why insurance exists, to pay for all this *****.

You are saying a helmet was the cause of all these incidents you name? Was it really maybe SPEED? If you hit a solid object at 90 mph, your going to be ****ed no matter what! Shorts and flips flops on a bike?? The guy deserved to be skinned, if not by his momma, then the road.

MAybe Longride, you need to start looking for another job... sounds like you are a little bitter here. And don't tell me I have to see it to know... I do see it. I arrest the kiddie rapers, the wife beaters, the assholes who shoot others over five dollars of rock, and the idiots that cause the accidents that you are talking about. Sit back, have a beer, take a breath and reevaluate your thoughts.

Pay your insurance. Wear a helmet. I know I don't want to pick up the bill for any of these guys. I have a new bike to pay for.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.