Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 186 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Once again, the press has the freedom to quote numbers without actual facts.

Examples from the Reuters article:

"In the US, motorcycle deaths increased by nearly 8% from 2,294 in 1998 to 2,472 in 1999."

Question: How many more motorcycles were on the road in 1998 vs. 1999?

"In Texas, treatment for brain injury costs ``have increased by as much as 75% per case, from $18,418 to $32,209,'' they note."

Question: How much has treatment of NORMAL, non-motorcycle related brain injury increased during the same period of time?

I'll still happily wear my Shoei RF-800 most of the year, and my 1/2 helmet when it's too hot out. But I still want the ability to choose whether I wear that helmet or not.

Nonetheless, the point is understood by all of us...there are fewer FATAL accidents when we wear helmets.

·
Registered
7 Posts
MO, two weeks ago you said that next Monday you would post the supersport shootout. Now, its like it never happened. At least say you aren't gonna post it or something. Its not polite to get us into a frenzy, and then just leave us out to dry like this.

·
Registered
134 Posts
This is an impossible issue. Do we allow people the freedom to participate in dangerous activities? There are compelling arguments for both sides, and I don't know the answer.

I don't get on my bike without my Arai helmet, riding jacket, boots, gloves, and I usually wear riding pants as well. I have no interest in skin grafts.

I wish all riders would wear protective gear, but I tend to come down on the side of personal choice.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I beleive that it is each individuals right to decide whether or not they want to wear a helmet. It is not the governments job to protect us from ourselves and make decisions for us. I can understand the government creating a law that affects whether or not you are capable of hurting another individual, but this is not the case in this situation. If anyone is to make a stand for helmets being worn by riders it should be the insurance companies. They are probably the ones pushing this issue anyway. It should be thier policy to charge differently for helmet wearing riders and non helmet wearing riders. Then maybe the ones of us that do wear our helmets will get a break in our yearly premiums! The government has no right to make decisions in this area, its just absurd!

Thank God that I still live in a state (IL) that still somewhat believes in individual rights!! I'll continue wearing my helmet, but that is by my OWN decision.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Try this potential scenario

When you have a severe head injury after riding a motorcycle w/out a helmet, try explaining to your family in a slurred voice and/or with hand signals that it was your right not to wear a helmet. If your family understands you, pray they will quit crying and remember what you said as they feed you and wipe your behind for you for the rest of your life.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Since I ride and it's obvious from the gear I have on, people feel compelled to tell me the motorcycle horror story from their life. Even if I don't know them. They'll start talking to me, right in the middle of Wal-Mart. As if at the end I'm going to say "You're right! I'm an IDIOT to be riding. Thanks for warning me!" My first question to people when they finish the disaster story: "Was he wearing a helmet?" Followed ALWAYS by their "No..." I always feel like such an a$# for indirectly pointing out that their uncle/boyfriend/husband/etc. would still be alive if they had thought to wear some safety gear.

I know it's not supposed to be "cool" for a certain segment of the biking population to wear them, but think about your wife/daughter/etc. stopping to tell me your story in a Wal-Mart someday.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Please people I'm begging you not to wear your helmets. If you go down hard with a helmet on there's a pretty good chance you'll survive. If your not wearing your helmet you become a great canditate as an organ donor so you'll be doing the rest of the world a favor by sacrificing your life so that others may live.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Yes, Yes, I have always wondered why these people feel compelled to relate these death and mayhem stories to us.

Like we really want to hear this 2hit when we are waking down the isle of Wall Mart.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I have had similar experiences (unsolicited horror stories about riding acquaintances dying or maimed (usually without safety gear)). It may be that folks on such quests are actually looking for sympathy. I usually just mention that life is a temporary condition and that riding enriches my life by an amount that justifies the risks involved. Sometimes they understand, sometimes not. In any event, I always wear safety gear though I have no illusion that my doing so insures I'll survive a crash. Ride safe today, ride tomorrow.

·
Registered
2 Posts
GRRRRR....

I am so tired of hearing this assinine argument! I used to buy this "individual rights" crap until I thought about the issue for <1 minute.

A simple hypothetical scenario: Suppose I hit you with my car, clearly my fault, and you bust your skull on the asphalt. Now I'm liable for $3M to pay for your brain damage, whereas with a helmet you would have walked away. Ethically, you can't blame the severity of your injuries solely on me, but legally, because you weren't breaking the law, I have no case of "contributory negligence" or the like on your part. I'm stuck with the whole fat bill, including pain & suffering and all the other "damages" lawyers use to get paid.

You do not live in a vacuum, especially in our hyper-litigious age. Also, as you already pointed out, you and I subsidize these organ donors every day through insurance premiums.

Besides, mandating helmets would remove the peer pressure not to wear them. I live in a state (UT) that buys your argument also, and *nobody* here wears a helmet -- I'd guess 1/10 overall, and less than that among sport bike riders. I certainly don't want to be the one full-face geek on the street.

I can't believe there are organizations dedicated to fighting helmets and helmet laws. Assuming they've taken even a cursory look at helmet statistics, I can only infer that their goal must be to (1) raise insurance rates and (2) furnish the world with more fresh, young organ donors.

There is no getting around the fact that society collectively bears the costs of people riding helmetless. Thus, helmet laws are an issue of social responsibility, not individual rights.

·
Registered
2 Posts
An example of "freedom"-from-helmet groups

[I mean to include this link in my previous post, but couldn't find the page.]

For a quick tour of the kinds of logical fallacies you need to support opposition of helmets and helmet laws, check out the Helmet Law Defense League:

http://usff.com/hldlhome.html

Reading their arguments is enough to make me want to run out and start an initiative for a helmet law right now. Is there such an investment as "squid organ futures?" These guys must all be heavily invested!

·
Registered
230 Posts
Re: GRRRRR....

Ok, let's suppose you DON'T go around hitting people with your car. Wouldn't you and I both be better off if you paid some attention to where you were driving?

If you're going to hit me with you car, why the should I care how much it's going to cost you? Screw you, you menace. Pay attention, and you won't have to pay for anyone's injuries.

Are you really trying to say that the government should require me to wear a helmet so that it won't cost you as much to run my ass down?

You're not against personal freedom as much as you are against personal responsibility. This country would do well to have a lot fewer people like you clogging its streets.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Re: GRRRRR....

Hey!

Did you know that this bulletin board automatically deletes swear words like and ?

There! It just did it again! This board is pure ! !

Now I'll have to supplement my vocabulary with less common vulgarities.

1 - 20 of 186 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.