Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
John,

You should be thankful that you can't hop on your bike and run to the corner store without a helmet. According to the Motorcycle Safety Foundation, most accidents occur within five miles of your home. Many times it isn't on the longer rides. The fact that you throw on a DOT half-helmet really doesn't help much except that you won't get a ticket. I just finished the MSF class and one of the requirements is a DOT helmet. The first night we had class time and the next day we were to come dressed properly and with a helmet to begin the training on the bikes. The last thing we were told is to not show up with a beanie or half helmet. When questioned about this the instructors said, "They don't do an adequate job of protecting your face, jaw, neck, and head." This is even though they are DOT approved. Throw away the beanie, put on the full face, which logically provides the best protection, and then go to the store. By the way, as a side note, you might think about quitting smoking too. My Dad, who smoked for 45 years, had a tumor removed from his lung 7 years ago and just had a malignant lump removed from his voice box. It will catch up with you, just like wearing a half helmet.

·
Registered
59 Posts
What are you talking about? Any idiot knows there is risk involved in riding a motorcycle. I didn't say it was dangerous, I said that the beanie helmets don't work! Let's see, I've been driving a car for 33 years and motorcycles for 35 years. It's not too dangerous for me and hasn't caught up with me. You go a problem with that?

·
Registered
59 Posts
In my original post I was quoting what I was told by the MSF instructors. I was relating that to John. I did say that a full face helmet provides better protection than a beanie helmet. Obviously that is true. Personally, I don't care what you wear or don't wear. I don't have anything against beanie helmets, I just wouldn't wear one. For me it defeats the purpose of wearing a helmet. If you wear one simply to not get a ticket- great, but I wear one to protect my head, face, and brain. Why don't you like me riding? You don't even know me! I'm glad you ride, I just don't like your bad ass attitude!! Is that clear? GET IT?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Re: Picking the location of your line

Apparently, you didn't read my last post. I said I didn't care what a person wore or didn't wear. That means if they want to wear a helmet great, if not great. I choose, that is okay isn't it?, to wear a full face helmet. That isn't drawing a line in the sand, it is exercising my free will to do so. Sorry you have a problem with that but I don't see why.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Actually, now that you mention it, I did finish at the top of the class- 100% on the written and 0 on the riding test. No points is best on that. It was a great class but it happened to be 95 degrees so the heat was a little tough to take!

I'm missing the point about opinions. Isn't that why John wrote the article- to hear from us? I believe he wanted some feedback/opinions. It is a free country, the last I looked at least, and we are allowed to give opinions. If you don't like them, sorry.

By the way- condom, dryer sheets, and I don't wear a cup when riding and I have two children and two grandchildren.

Life is good!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts