Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I paid $400.00 to find out that chatterbox sucks. I returned them both - I do not recommend this product. I have read reviews - none of which were positive. I am embarresed that it took $400.00 of my hard earned money to learn that it sucks. I have no good recommendations to give - Sorry.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I use the basic Chatterbox wired unit. I bought one in April for $115.00 with two full face helmet units and an extention cord. It does what it is supposed to do. Has a cell phone and an aux. jack also. As the previous poster said, stay away from the more expensive wireless units, I've also not heard much good said about them.

·
Registered
5 Posts
If all you want is communication from one helmet to another, seated on the same bike, the cheapest solution is the chatterbox HJC-50 plus 2 headsets, a total of about $130. While the chatterbox radios blow, the simple wired systems actually work quite well. They are not voice-activated, basically they are just always on. The unit acts as a small amplifier, connecting the microphones in both headsets to the speakers in both headsets. For best results, use earplugs and turn the volume way up on the units; this blocks almost all wind noise and communication works right up to highway speeds. The HJC-50 has a rechargeable battery, but tends to last a full day of riding before needing a recharge.

http://www.hjc-chatterbox.com/hjc50.htm

For some higher quality equipment, look into the Autocom products. I've got their Active-Plus model on my RT and it works incredibly well, at higher speeds and with better sound quality than the chatterbox units. It also can plug into bike power, and the unit itself can be mounted somewhere on the bike (mine is under the seat, with the two headset jacks peeking out the side). Autocoms have some pretty neat features that allow you to link in music, radar, gps, and even cell phone. When you start to speak, it lowers the volume on everything else so you can talk easily; when radar goes off it lowers everything else immediately, things like that. It's pricier, but not as bad as people seem to think. The full system goes for $300 including 1 headset; an additional headset is $75.

http://www.autocomamerica.com/active_plus.cfm

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
I use a J&M Audio Pack on my Concours with an integrated CB. It works rather well. I plumbed in an XM Radio too. :) Volume controls and PTT within reach of my left thumb.

·
The Toad
17,458 Posts
We have a simple system. One slap on the back of my helmet means to look where she's pointing. Two slaps means stop as soon as possible. A punch between the shoulderblades means stop now.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Great advice. Oh here she comes now. "Hi honey," he says, sheepishly, "I was just looking for some exotic locations where we might celebrate our upcoming anniversary. Don't peek." Whew. That was close.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Useful info. Thanks. (I failed to mention that the ring I bought set me back quite a bit...and that was 28 years ago!) Now, don't let your wives read this thread. They'll be expecting you to buy them a new intercom for your next anniversary.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have the autocom and it is very very good. I have used it on some very long trips and communicated with another rider back and forth the whole way. You can answer calls on your cell phone listen to music, talk to a passenger and a rider all at the same time. The only problem I have is the speakers really hurt my ears. I can't find a good way to mount them in my Arai, but I also have very big ears. If it wasn't for the ear pain I would leave it in all the time.

·
Registered
11,488 Posts
I find that flipping-up your visor, turning your head, and screaming at the top of your fool lungs works fairly well.

Until you crash. You shouldn't communicate like this in corners.

Or at Elevated Speed.

Or while in motion.

Or...........

·
Registered
238 Posts
I've read some place that wireless "Chatter Box" type systems simply do not work as expected.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I can also recommend the HJC Tandem unit. I've had one for several years and never had a problem. The intercom works great, the added bonus is the audio unput. When I'm solo I use it with my MP3 player. MP3 fits in a jacket pocket and I get a full days ride with a single charge.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I use the motorola HS830 bluetooth headset on each helmet, just go cellphone to cellphone since we have unlimited minutes between us. It was only 99 bucks but you have to have a bluetooth cellphone to use it. Sound is great at any speed.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.