Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Banned
2,452 Posts
Where did you go to school?

How did you figure 0.046% difference? Tell me please. If you simply took the death rate / register bikers for each year and look at the difference youd be wrong. That doesn't tell you a thing about statistical significance. By the way I am not an AI programmer, I don't know where you got that..... If you want to get into the statistical analysis go ahead bring it on.

You tell me how you figured it and I'll rip you up.

·
Banned
2,452 Posts
If you use the MO logic

No here is a analogy. Similar study, of the millions of tabaco smokers only a few thousand get lung cancer of women have die from it in larger numbers say by a few hundred. Is the difference considered statistically significant damn straight is. Just because there were only a few hundred deaths and thousands of riders and the difference in deaths from one year to the next was a few tens doesn't mean it is not statistically significant. The population size doesn't mean anything it's the difference that is important. Remember a sample size can be as small as a few thousand and still predict things about a population.

If you follow MOs logic. All medical studies that involve prevention treatment would not statistically significant. i.e. because there is so many cigratee smokers the fact that there are only a few that get lung cancer means that the difference between male and female victims is not statistically significant. follow me.

This is absolutely wrong.

·
Banned
2,452 Posts
Statistics for dummies

Fact 1. The fact there were only a few hundred deaths vs thousands of riders is irrelevant. There are a few cancer deaths per millions of people. Does that mean that if cancer deaths increased 125% in one year because a drug was not used is the statistic not significant. Hell no.

Fact 2. The death rate increased 125% that is significant. The fact that were only a few deaths vs. the number of riders is not important.

Fact 3. The number of riders could of increased is important but assume that it increased 5% a year. The death rate still would of increased significantly. It's the delta that is important not the population size.

·
Banned
2,452 Posts
Statistics for dummies and MO staffers

Fact 1. The fact there were only a few hundred deaths vs thousands of riders is irrelevant. There are a few cancer deaths per millions of people. Does that mean that if cancer deaths increased 125% in one year because a drug was not used is the statistic not significant. Hell no.

Fact 2. The death rate increased ~125% in this case (from 35 to 79) that is significant. The fact that were only a few deaths vs. the number of riders is not important.

Fact 3. The number of riders could of increased is important but assume that it increased 5% a year. The death rate still would of increased significantly. It's the delta that is important not the population size vs the number of deaths.

Fact 4. Comparing only two years is probably not conclusive but I would not as MO does consider it statistically insignificant.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.