Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· MODERATOR X
5,447 Posts
Re: Death data from the NHTSA

Well, here's something cut from the NHTSA website:

Looks like I'm going to get centerpunched soon, since I'm over 45, and ride a big fast bike. I do wear a helmet , though. Full face.

There are some real interesting charts & graphs on the NHTSA site regarding motorcycle crashes & fatalities.

Rider deaths maxed around 1980, with over 5000 fatalities, when there was pretty much no helmet law, nationwide.

According to the National Highway Traffic

Safety Administration's (NHTSA) 2001 data, while total traffic deaths in the United States increased by four tenths of a percent (+0.4%) from previous year, motorcycle deaths were up by 10 percent.

Motorcyclist fatalities increased for the fourth year in a row since reaching a historic low of 2,116 fatalities in 1997. In 2001, 3,181 motorcyclists were killed, an increase of 1,065 fatalities (or over 50 percent) between 1997 and 2001. Without this substantial increase in motorcyclist fatalities between 1997 and

2001, overall highway fatalities would have

experienced a marked reduction of about 2.5 percent over this same time frame.

Motorcyclist Fatalities on 1,001-1,500 cc Engine

by Year and Age Group:

Between 1990 and 2001, Table 8 (above)

showed that motorcyclist fatalities increased only in the 1,001-1,500 cc engine size motorcycles. Analysis of data from Table 9 and Figure 5 show that the number of motorcyclist fatalities in the 1,001-1,500 cc engine size category has increased only in the 40-

49 and over 49 age groups between 1990 and 2001.

The motorcyclist fatalities in the 40-49 age group have been steadily increasing each year since 1992. Similarly, motorcyclist fatalities in the over 49-age group have been steadily increasing each year since 1993.

The motorcyclist fatalities in the 40 and over

age group in the 1,001-1,500 cc engine size have been increasing even though overall motorcyclist fatalities have reduced from 1990 to 1997. The number of motorcyclist fatalities in the 40-49 age group has increased by a factor of 3.6 between 1990 and 2001.

Similarly motorcyclist fatalities in the over 49-age group have increased by a factor of 4.4

between 1990 and 2001. These numbers indicate the involvement of larger motorcycles like 1,001-1,500 cc engine size group by age groups 40 and over infatal crashes.

The percentage of motorcyclist fatalities in

the 40 and over age group has increased from 27 percent in 1990 to 62 percent in 2001 in the 1,001-1,500 cc engine size category.

Almost two thirds (62 percent) of the motorcyclist fatalities in 2001 were in

the 40 and over age group and the remaining one third in under 40-age group. In 1990, three fourths (74 percent) of motorcyclist fatalities were in the under 40-age group compared to 27 percent in the 40

and over age group.

Here’s a link with all the charts & graphs:

http://www-nrd.nhtsa.dot.gov/pdf/nrd-01/esv/esv18/CD/Files/18ESV-000247.pdf

· MODERATOR X
5,447 Posts
Re: A view from EP

Then you'd have to buy your tobacco in little plastic bags, from some guy standing on a street corner in Frog Town.

Double me up, homie!

Just 'cause it's illegal, don't mean you can't get it...

· MODERATOR X
5,447 Posts
Re: A view from FTR

I don’t know about that, JB. The drive through service in Frog Town is excellent. All it takes is a whistle, a nod, an exchange of green, and you’re done.

What could be simpler? You don’t even have to get out of your Jagrolet. Or climb off the Buell (oops, I mean Yamaha) like at a liquor store.

· MODERATOR X
5,447 Posts
Re: It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that sting

Exactly. I feel kind of silly, strapping on a pot, only to ride three blocks on my Cushman to pick up some smokes.

BTW, I've had my share of noggin injuries, due to not wearing a helmet. In fact, after getting centerpunched by a Suburban while driving my Dakota, sometimes I want to wear the Moto-3 in the truck.

This, from someone who has to ride through the concrete jungle, every day. And I prefer to call it the "Asphault Jungle", hoping someday Sam Jaffe will hand me velvet bag full of stolen diamonds.

See what happens when you don't wear a helmet? You get stuck thinking about old Stanley Kubrick films. Sad.

· MODERATOR X
5,447 Posts
Re: And drive Dodges

In-between.

And that's "injuries", as in plural.

The V6 thing sold me. I reasoned cutting two cylinders off that miserable 318 was the best thing Morparts could do, since those two extra cylinders weren't doing that much anyway, 'cept for wasting gas and using up a couple of spark plugs.

Oh, how wrong was I...

· MODERATOR X
5,447 Posts
Re: Liberal ideology

Bury All Thy Firearms (until you need 'em).

· MODERATOR X
5,447 Posts
Re: Oh balls!

WTF, I made it all up.

These are, in reality, worm farm accident statistics.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.