Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, maybe here is a good one to start with. Because Illinois does not have a helmet law states can be gathered on deaths with helmets and death without helmets.

Scroll down to the bottom of the page and look at the motorcycle death stats (three links at the top of the page will give you numbers for 2000, 2001, and 2002):

Illinois helmet and non helmet motorcycle deaths 2000-2002

I don't know what happened in 2002 but riders seemed to learn something. An anomaly maybe? Kind of strange.

I for one can tell you I am in the overwhelming minority in this state wearing a helmet. I'm not even going to get in to the number of people I see riding in flip-flops. I just think about my little piggys getting caught in the spokes, having 500 lbs of motorcycle fall and slide on them, or slipping off the peg and grinding on the asphalt and I literally cringe.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Good point. All those numbers really tell you is the number of deaths and if they had a helmet on or not, excluding the 16 unknowns. They really don't prove or say much of anything beyond that. If it could be put in a percentage then it would be a little more telling. Interpreting stats can easily be misleading if extra thought is not put in to it.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.