Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Seatbelts

I wouldn't be suprised to find out that many of the seat belt laws are modivated by the fact that liability insurance / health insurance costs have dictated them. In a car it's been shown that even a minor accident can have fatal results without a seatbelt, and people can walk away from major accidents if they did wear one. Ofcourse every accident is different, but I think that the odds are in your favor with a seatbelt. Also keep in mind that cars/trucks carry more passengers, so we are talking about a lot of liability money in play.

With motorcycles being in the minority there is likely less pressure from insurance companies to have these laws. I would guess that most of the laws are created by people who haven't ridden, and just want to protect us from ourselves. I for one wear a full face helmet, and anyone who is a passenger wears one as well. I wouldn't think about riding without one. But I wouldn't force anyone else (riding their own bike) to wear one.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I spent some time in Indianapolis a few years ago, and they apparently don't or didn't have a helmet law back then. I can't tell you how many sport bike riders I saw with no helmets (and flip flops), and a girl in a bikini on the back with no helmet, and no shoes.

The only time I can remember seeing anyone with a helmet was an older couple on a Wing with a trailer, and they were probably from out of state on a long drive.

Given the opportunity, all types of riders will go without helmets. My guess is that you are right regarding sport riders who actually go to the track and have advanced training.

That being said, I ride both a sport bike (FJ1200) and a small cruiser (Vulcan 750) and always wear a helmet, but don't think that there should be a law about.

I DO think that if you get in an accident with me, and you're not wearing a helmet that you (or more likely your family) shouldn't be able to sue me for your resulting brain damage.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.