Motorcycle Forums banner

Help me make a decision....

10K views 46 replies 35 participants last post by  zradix 
#1 ·
Take a look at the new Ducati Sport Classic GT1000 as well. It's got room for two plus it will have bags and a windshield as accessories.

I haven't seen pricing yet but I'm guessing about $9995.

I may be trading my ST4 for one.

#29 ·
Agreeance...I love mine. I bought it new in February and haven't had many good days to ride it here in NJ. I commuted 60 miles round trip the past two days to work. Other than trying to figure out how to hide helmet hair in the corporate office I work in, it left me with a mile wide smile. One of the guys at work, who is living vicariously through me, said he hadn't seen a smile that wide since he looked in the mirror right after the first time he got laid. Go for what you want, but I love my Weestrom.

#31 ·
Wow, just got home after checking out some new Buells. Thanks to all who have contributed here. I appreciate it.

You know, the V-Strom is indeed a true bargain. Some hate the looks but, sitting on it, I don't notice the looks! I am partial to the 650 actually.

But......

There is just something about those Buells! I sat on a Lightning XB12Ss (long) and it fit me like a pair of 5 year old Levi's! The Ducati Monster...well, I immediately felt my wrists taking the weight of my upper half. It was an awkward (for me anyway) riding position.

The Buell Lightning? Ahhhhh....that's it! Upright position with no stress on the wrists. It was a very noticeable difference from the Ducati. Feet planted on ground easily (I am 5'10") and man, it just felt like it was made just for me. Swinging my leg over the V-Strom 650 was a bit of a chore but, the Lighting? Ooooo baby.

I have seen many a Buell go by me but never really heard one. Today I heard one and it was an odd sensation seeing a bike that I expected to sound like maybe a 2 stroke even but, sounded like thunder going by me. I keep hearing this voice in my head "gotta' get that Buell"!! The sound, the look (badass), the handling, the whole "Harley" thing. It is a bike I would have loved back in my youth.

But yeah, braxx444, you touched on something I have considered. I am also saving for the new MacBook Pro 17" and yeah, it CAN be done can't it!? A MacBook Pro on my back and a Buell underneath me. I am getting a very nice visual!!

I'll post here when I have bought my choice (I change my mind a lot) and even include a photo! Again, thanks to all and by all means keep 'em coming!

#33 ·
You wait, just wait until you hear an XB with one of Kevin Drum's "Drummer" pipes on it. Oh man, that is the best sound in motorcycling, I promise you. Not nearly as loud as a Harley with straight pipes, but deeper and sharper and just crackling with energy. Sounds just like a big-block V8 race motor from an old Daytona Cobra. Outrageous!

#36 ·
Triumph Daytona 955i.

Trust me on this. I'm 55 and bought one last summer after a long hiatus thinking I would make myself understand I was too old for the style and sell it or buy aftermarket risers and seat. I have kept it stock and have put 4000 miles on it. I can ride it all day and all night and plan to keep it forever.

Buell's are cool but the Daytona has more cowbell!

#38 ·
My Two Cents

I owned the V-Strom 650 and I loved it. Amazing machine!! I really wanted to use it more as a touring bike, so I sold it to my friend, and got the V-

Strom 1000. I will tell you this: what an amzing motor in a do it all motorcycle that has plenty of power and versatility. It is not as go anywhere as the 650. The 650 feels more like a big dirt bike, unless you take it in actual dirt. However, it can take any kind of paved road you can throw at it.

The V-Stroms really offer alot of bike for the dough.

#39 ·
What about the Triumph Tiger? For $10,500 you get a 6.6 gallon tank, hardbags, 2 up riding, a nice 100BHP+ engine.

I had not thought of one before but, on the way home last night saw one in a dealer's window. I just may take a look at this. It's looks don't exactly blow me away but, this looks like it'd be worth checking out.

What say ye?

#40 ·
Believer in the Buell..........

Been a rider most of my life as well, off at 25, back in the saddle at 36. About 2 months ago I picked up a Buell Lightning XB12S, and have had a big friggin smile on my face ever since. Roads suck where I am in South Texas, (both in the traditional sense of potholes, etc., and really sucks in that I've a bike whose motto is "own the corners" and the only corners I have access to are the freeway interchanges..... sigh....) but this bike absorbs them like a sponge when you get the suspension dialed in to your weight and ride preferences. DO take the time to get the suspension dialed in.

I could not be happier with my choices, and as for the cargo thing, a bag will in short order become a part of your body. Invest in a good backpack.

Get back in the game, whatever you do. ***** of your spouse, give up whatever you need too, but get back on 2 wheels. It's worth the risk, it's worth the money, it's worth the hassle, it's worth whatever you have to invest.

Don't let life go by. Pull the trigger!

Shiny side up......!

Rob

#41 ·
Having owned a v-strom 1000 for 2 years and 20,000 miles I have to say it is a good all around bike with especially supple supension for less than perfect roads,but that being said it is the first bike I ever bought purely on function ( I've owned 30+ bikes) and felt zero passion when I rolled it off the showroom floor (much like buying an appliance) and still feel the same about it. Buy the one that makes you loose sleep, out of all the bikes I've owned those are the one's I wish I still had.

Pete.

#42 ·
Re: Believer in the Buell..........

Hey Rob,

Is the Buell perhaps TOO much for me? I mean will the front wheel lift off as a "surprise" and put me off? Or, is it controllable in that there are no surprises? I guess I want to determine if it is a bike I could "get back on the saddle" with after a few years off. KNow what I mean?

I love the way it "fits" me. If I had my way I'd take the Uylesses in a heartbeat but, it is SO tall. I'd like to see Buell make a bike that is a sort of semi Uylesses. One that can go 2up and have hardbags but also be a bit lower to the ground like the Lightning.

#43 ·
Re: Believer in the Buell..........

The XB's torque is completely controllable-- the front wheel will stay on the ground if you want it to. Just keep your inner hooligan on his choke-chain, (if you can, heh). The 12 was MY path back to riding and it has proven to be a good choice and faithful steed.

Ditto on your desire for a bike with the Uly's amenities but less height. I'll bet there's 8 inches of air between my footsies and Earth, while perched on that bike. Somebody find my KISS boots...

#44 ·
I would also check out the Moto Guzzi and Triumph before a purchase. I own a Moto Guzzi and a Honda, Love them both but the Guzzi just does something for me the Honda doesn't. The Breva 750 comes highly recommended for new and returning riders. One of my riding friends has a new Triumph Bonneville America and loves it. In two years he has had no problems with it. For myself I would not own another bike that did not have shaft drive. Both my Guzzi and Honda are shaft drive and I will never go back to a chain or belt. Just my 2c.

Joe in Atlanta

#47 ·
Ever thought about a Buell Thunderbolt? If you get the "T" model in the right years you get the same engine as the lightning. The "T" is for touring. Has higher handelbars for a more upright position. It is made with a wider seat and has quite a bit more room for the passenger. It's actually built on the same frame as the lightning. It just has a little extension on it to fit the longer body.

hope it helps

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.