Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good for you, Mike, and all those who participate.

But, since many people can't take the time off work/school/their catatonic state of existence, there are two other things which may be useful alternatives for those who did not or could not attend.

1. Write the station manager. Pen and paper. Keep it polite and clean. A dozen letters have a greater impact than 100 e-mails sometimes.

2. Write or call the sponsors of this pair's time slots. I think there are some laws about boycotts, so don't use that word. But indicate that you are concerned that the company is sponsoring this pair. Since I am not a DoBA (Denizen of Bay Area), I don't know who the sponsors are, but perhaps some Bay Area readers can pass this information on?

Oh yes, first post. On another important story. That seems to be ignored. Again.

Oh yes, first post.

·
Registered
238 Posts
The nonsense propogated by those DJs is the same kind of "humor" that shock jocks seem to rely upon. It also reminds us that riders are a small minority and that we must stick together to collectively defend ourselves.

I am also a daily rider- why should the commute be a dull waste of time in a gas guzzling cage- but live in Seattle, a bit far away to make the protest.

As a follow up to this protest, we should collectively organize similar demonstrations that we exist everywhere in the country and cannot be targeted for abuse or neglegent destruction. National Ride to Work Day (see www.ridetowork.com) is a start.

·
Registered
2 Posts
There seems to be a lot of "kidding around" here lately that causes a lot of grief for a lot of people, including the kid in Santee that was perceived as "kidding" when he talked about brining a gun to school. Radio personalities love to "shock" but when it goes to endangering life and health of innocent people like saying "run over bikers", it goes too far. There are just enough crazies out there that take what these idiot DJ's say as truth.

However, on the other side of the coin, I have always been amazed in my travels to California that they do indeed allow lane sharing, and more than once, I've almost wiped out a biker passing me about 3 inches from my door....and I am a lot more aware of other bikers in my surroundings than a lot of non-bikers out there.

I come from a state that does NOT allow lane sharing and in fact, we are taught to "protect our lane" from cars because a lot of numb-nuts car drivers like to try to pull up next to you in your lane and crowd you out. It's happened to me more than once.

Frankly I'm opposed to lane sharing and feel that it increases risk to bikers. I wouldn't lane share even in states that allow it.....much like I would tend to wear a helmet even in states that say I don't have to. Motorcycling by it's nature is "risky business", but I think it's the rider's responsibility to realize that sharing that risk is not a 50/50 split between himself and the car driver.....it falls pretty squarely on the biker's shoulders. The best advice I can give is to always assume you are the invisible man out there and never trust a car driver to look out for you.

Just my $.02 worth.

Tony F

·
Registered
356 Posts
Re: We

lol, thats too funny. Just the idea that someone would. I hope no one takes offense to me finding it funny, except maybe some of the people hit. I could understand that.

But, I think its kinda funny how most people could care less when people with dissimilar interests get hurt, and then they take it all personally when it finally comes back their way. I mean, i would be pretty pissed too if a bunch of damn bikers (pedal-power included) were making it a pain for me to get to work. But he was drunk, that might have had more than a little to do with his poor judgement.

As for those DJ's, i want to find out if they have family, and harrass their family until it gets so bad that they have to come on the air and beg forgiveness before their wives divorce them and run off with the kids. That might almost be just punishment for telling people to run over bikers.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Re: We

Oh, by the way, i was reffering to the link to the article listed above.

MO, it would be nice if ya'll had some way to include an edit option for posts, i think that would be an easy way to clear up many of the misunderstandings that the board sometimes has.

and, when ya go pay, ya got my money

·
Registered
367 Posts
Tony, We are "taught" to protect our lane here in California too, for the same reason. Lane splitting IS legal here, and I do it, and yes, there are additional risks... but DJ's advocating murder need to be charged with a crime, not suspended for two weeks.

·
Registered
367 Posts
I used to listen to KSJO quite a bit. Then they lost their repeater in San Francisco to a spanish-music station (FCC thing, apparently) and I stopped listening. Now I'm glad I did. I'll be at the protest on Monday. I'll have to take off from work a couple of hours early, but WTF? It's worth it.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Lane sharing....

I think a protest is a great idea. I commute on my bike regularly, and would appreciate more respect from car drivers, not less. I often share lanes in rush hour and would definitely enjoy a more-educated public.

However, be forewarned that the CA Motorcycle Handbook clearly states that while lane-sharing is not illegal, it is often unsafe. While it does acknowledge legality, the handbook clearly discourages the practice.

·
Registered
63 Posts
WOAH!!!!! Charged with a crime??!!!! I'm all for letting these DJ's and their sponsors know I'm not to keen on being run over, but isn't that a little overboard? How many bicyclist's/motorcyclists have been deliberatley run over in the Bay Area since that spot ran?? Do you want these guys to be thrown in jail?!!! What's the charge, bad taste? Poor humor? Last I knew that wasn't against the law. I always see people in these bulliten boards saying things about protecting rights and everyone is entitled to an opinion. So where's that understanding know when the tables are turned?? I think these DJ's are idiots, but that's the kind of stupid stiff 'shock jocks' come up with. It's so absurd it's funny. But I have almost been run over several times, and once the guy WAS aming for me so I don't see the humor, nor do most motorcyclists. But don't let some idiots make you get angry, the world's full of them.

justmy $.02

·
Registered
32 Posts
If a cyclist gets run over in the broadcast area those radio personalities should be held responsible. Maybe the local Hell's Angels should have a talk with them about promoting traffic safety

·
Registered
4 Posts
KSJO needs to be shut down

I used to listen to KSJO because they play hard rock.

Their DJs are unbelievable though.

I would characterize them as 13 year old

Howard Stern wanna-be's on steroids.

They have a Valentines day Bikini contest for

pregnant women (great concept, sickening execution).

They are virulently hostile to anybody or

anything slightly left of center.

They celebrate teenage self-righteousness.

They try to engage any female callers into

immensely putrid and degrading sexual

conversations.

I'd be all for boycotting them or their sponsors,

but it would involve going through the

stultifying process of actually listening to that

10000 lb thrust sewage plant ramjet.

I guess there are a lot of

web monkeys in San Jose that really

like that . If any of them ride,

I hope they decide to make a long overdue switch

to any of the 3 other hard-rock stations in the

Bay Area.

rat

·
Registered
2 Posts
Two weeks..???

Guess again.. They were back on the air the FOLLOWING MONDAY... It was only a ONE WEEK suspension..

Unless of course the station was running those two clowns on tape the following week to fill in the slot..

·
Registered
63 Posts
Re: Lane sharing....

This is a good point that the DMV handbook is prob-ly not the greatest tool to pass out to people, since it HIGHLY dicourages lane sharing right after saying it's not illegal.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Re: Lane sharing....

There's a problem though with passing out the vehicle code that says lane sharing is legal, because as far as I know, there isn't one. Lane sharing is not legal. It's just that there is no clear law stating that it's illegal. Unsafe movment, improper passing, or reckless operation can all be used as charges, but since it's socilly acceptable you'd have a hard time in court (unless you're obviously reckless). But I'm almost positive there is no law making it legal, it's just that there's no laws making it ilegal.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Tony

I have a 60 mile one way commute every day rain or shine on some of the bay areas most congested freeways. I have been doing this safely for many years. It has gotten to where lanesplitting is the only time I feel safe anymore.

You see when you are splitting you are in control,when you are in a lane any damn fool can and will rear end you. This will ruin your day very quickly.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Actually... Inciting somebody to commit a crime IS a crime. I didn't say I wanted them thrown in jail, that's something for a jury of their peers to decide, but they SHOULD be charged. They are public figures, and whether or not anybody actually ran over a bicyclist or motorcyclist is irrelevant. It's like parking in the fire lane, even if there's no fire, you still deserve the ticket.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.