Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
There seems to be a lot of "kidding around" here lately that causes a lot of grief for a lot of people, including the kid in Santee that was perceived as "kidding" when he talked about brining a gun to school. Radio personalities love to "shock" but when it goes to endangering life and health of innocent people like saying "run over bikers", it goes too far. There are just enough crazies out there that take what these idiot DJ's say as truth.

However, on the other side of the coin, I have always been amazed in my travels to California that they do indeed allow lane sharing, and more than once, I've almost wiped out a biker passing me about 3 inches from my door....and I am a lot more aware of other bikers in my surroundings than a lot of non-bikers out there.

I come from a state that does NOT allow lane sharing and in fact, we are taught to "protect our lane" from cars because a lot of numb-nuts car drivers like to try to pull up next to you in your lane and crowd you out. It's happened to me more than once.

Frankly I'm opposed to lane sharing and feel that it increases risk to bikers. I wouldn't lane share even in states that allow it.....much like I would tend to wear a helmet even in states that say I don't have to. Motorcycling by it's nature is "risky business", but I think it's the rider's responsibility to realize that sharing that risk is not a 50/50 split between himself and the car driver.....it falls pretty squarely on the biker's shoulders. The best advice I can give is to always assume you are the invisible man out there and never trust a car driver to look out for you.

Just my $.02 worth.

Tony F

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.